Why is Ireland so rich? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
When an Arab Prince digs up a fossil and sends the oil somewhere then they got 999,999 gdp per capita. thats not wealth or family income. or net worth. I thought that on these south korea gdps now days. i have no idea /had no idea about this ireland number. There 86,000 people on the Isle of Man and there's a gdp per capita of 90,000. 10,000 people are employed in finance and insurance.
By ness31
Because it’s full of smart Irish people.
By Mike12
What was this thread about anyway? Ireland getting French Turtlenecks? So I'm a Frenchman who owns my own university and I have a short haircut and a turtleneck and glasses. Like only a frenchman could that look from the movie.
By Skynet
Independent_Srpska wrote:Because they were not invaded by Ottomans and then occupied for 4 centuries

Genius they were about +/- 500 Years occupied by England. 1845 Ireland had a extreme famine. After WW1 they managed to get independent.

Their language "Gaelic" is forgotten, they talk English.
By Mike12
Sandzak wrote:Genius they were about +/- 500 Years occupied by England. 1845 Ireland had a extreme famine. After WW1 they managed to get independent.

In the 2016 census, 78.3% (3.5 million) of the population identified as Catholic
Church of Ireland (2.7%)
In 2022 only 40 percent of Catholics attend church.

The second largest Christian denomination, the Church of Ireland (Anglican), declined in membership for most of the twentieth century, but has more recently experienced an increase, as have other small Christian denominations. Other significant Protestant denominations are the Presbyterian Church in Ireland

Ireland may be rich because it offers a tax haven for corporations. Per Wikipedia:

Ireland's base erosion and profit shifting (BEPS) tools give some foreign corporates § Effective tax rates of 0% to 2.5%[b] on global profits re-routed to Ireland via their tax treaty network.
Sandzak wrote:https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD?locations=TR&most_recent_value_desc=true

Luxembourg is clear (banks), but why is Ireland so rich???

Louxembourg is also extremly small a Citystate.

Ireland has about x2 GDP per Capita compared to UK.

Ireland's GDP is to a significant degree "artificial". A consequence of corporations transfering their intangible assets to the country.

Ireland's wages aren't as high as GDP would suggest.
Sandzak wrote:Genius they were about +/- 500 Years occupied by England. 1845 Ireland had a extreme famine. After WW1 they managed to get independent.

Yep. The Irish had opportunity to choose first (between Turkish or English occupation), they have chosen wisely - to be occupied by English, that's the answer to your question in the title. :D

The Balkans, on the other hand, didn't have that luck.
By Skynet
Rugoz wrote:Ireland's GDP is to a significant degree "artificial". A consequence of corporations transfering their intangible assets to the country.

Ireland's wages aren't as high as GDP would suggest.

This explains the question!
AFAIK Ireland is rich because its a tax haven.

The average irish person doesnt profit though.

Neither does the EU.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Tainari88 @JohnRawls Trump is an extraordin[…]

No one is more manly than me. We know there is […]

https://youtu.be/7w9NIPYrxRQ Standard dehumaniz[…]

A long war with a lot of mistakes. Listen to thi[…]