Border Dispatch: Everyone Who Arrives Here Has Paid - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
ckaihatsu wrote:The current immigration *policy* is 'Remain in Mexico'-and-maybe-we'll-get-to-you-but-probably-not.

Here -- the following is the kind of thing I'm talking about:

What the fuck does this have to do with the price of tea in China? I'm talking about the U.S. controlling its own border, regardless of what Mexico does.
BlutoSays wrote:
What the fuck does this have to do with the price of tea in China? I'm talking about the U.S. controlling its own border, regardless of what Mexico does.

Isn't that just a Rancid-type *fortress mentality*, though -- ?

What *is* this entity, that you feel so compelled to ignore *the rest of the world*, including the migrants themselves, for your treasured nationalist boundaries?

If only there was a *name* for it, like 'American exceptionalism'.
Here, for contrast:

Text of the poem

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_C ... f_the_poem
ckaihatsu wrote:Isn't that just a Rancid-type *fortress mentality*, though -- ?

What *is* this entity, that you feel so compelled to ignore *the rest of the world*, including the migrants themselves, for your treasured nationalist boundaries?

If only there was a *name* for it, like 'American exceptionalism'.

It is not realistic to have millions of people swamping the border without breaking down the social safety nets of the country. The math doesn't work. You take some aboard, they integrate and then you take more aboard.

Local property taxes skyrocketing over the years tells you this. I've pointed out two democrats here stating the problem, and you don't even want to hear it from them.

Why? Are you hoping to collapse the U.S.? I'm sure that's the actual truth. You know... defund the police and break the civil society. Collapse it so you can have your way. A communist worker's paradise.
Pants-of-dog wrote:@BlutoSays

I agree.

Democrats should go after people who hire undocumented workers.

Do you think so?

How could anyone? The laws are set up to stop that on purpose. You know, EEOC laws like this:

https://www.eeoc.gov/pre-employment-inq ... itizenship

Most employers should not ask whether or not a job applicant is a United States citizen before making an offer of employment. The INA requires employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all employees hired after November 6, 1986, by completing the Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) Form, and reviewing documents showing the employee's identity and employment authorization. Other state and federal laws require some employers to use E-Verify. Federal law prohibits employers from rejecting valid documents or insisting on additional documents beyond what is required for the Form I-9 or E-Verify processes, based on an employee's citizenship status or national origin. For example, an employer cannot require only those who the employer perceives as "foreign" to produce specific documents, such as Permanent Resident ("green") cards or Employment Authorization Documents. Employees are allowed to choose which documents to show for employment eligibility verification from the Form I-9 Lists of Acceptable Documents. Employers should accept any unexpired document from the Lists of Acceptable Documents so long as the document appears reasonably genuine on its face and relates to the employee.

Federal law also prohibits employers from conducting the Form I-9 and E-Verify processes before the employee has accepted an offer of employment. Applicants may be informed of these requirements in the pre-employment setting by adding the following statement on the employment application:

"In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire."

E-Verify employers must use the system consistently and without regard to the citizenship, immigration status, or national origin of employees. They must also notify every employee who receives a Tentative Nonconfirmation (TNC) and should not make assumptions about employment authorization based on the TNC issuance. If an employee contests a TNC, employers cannot fire, suspend, modify a work schedule, delay job placement or otherwise take any adverse action against the employee just because the employee received a TNC.

As stated above, the INA prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of national origin by smaller employers (with four to 14 employees). The INA prohibits retaliation against individuals for asserting their rights under the INA, or for filing a charge or assisting in an investigation or proceeding under the INA. Discrimination charges under the INA are processed by the Immigrant and Employee Rights Section (IER) in the Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division. For more information, contact IER at the numbers below (9:00 am-5:00 pm ET, Monday-Friday) or visit IER's website. Calls can be anonymous and in any language:

1-800-255-7688 (employees/applicants)
1-800-255-8155 (employers)
1-800-237-2515 and 202-616-5525 (TTY for employees/applicants and employers) www.justice.gov/ier
BlutoSays wrote:
It is not realistic to have millions of people swamping the border without breaking down the social safety nets of the country. The math doesn't work. You take some aboard, they integrate and then you take more aboard.

Local property taxes skyrocketing over the years tells you this. I've pointed out two democrats here stating the problem, and you don't even want to hear it from them.

Why? Are you hoping to collapse the U.S.? I'm sure that's the actual truth. You know... defund the police and break the civil society. Collapse it so you can have your way. A communist worker's paradise.

I'm trying to point out that a 'country' is not worth its paperwork if it's not about *the people*.

Look at all of the anti-government protests of 2019, 2020, 2021, and onward, like in Sri Lanka today -- when the country is no longer functioning for *people*, then it just winds up looking *top-heavy* and more *burdensome* than it's worth.

Is your whole politics based on your *anxiety* of 'millions of people swamping the border' -- ? Really? Is that what this is all about? Your 'fortress mentality', with historically *racist* roots?

Property taxes reflect the financial *bubble* in real estate pricing -- you're blaming the symptom for the disease.

As a revolutionary I don't see the bourgeois world system of nation-states really serving any purpose these days -- why are nationalist borders dividing workers into different countries, when workers have *international* interests in their own collective labor power as a *class* -- ?

Killer cops, including those in *Israel*, are on-par as a deadly threat along with domestic-terrorist *fascists*, so, yeah, I think the *defunding* is *way* overdue, and the fascist Trump *still* isn't behind bars despite trying to overthrow the presidency.
ckaihatsu wrote:I'm trying to point out that a 'country' is not worth its paperwork if it's not about *the people*.

Look at all of the anti-government protests of 2019, 2020, 2021, and onward, like in Sri Lanka today -- when the country is no longer functioning for *people*, then it just winds up looking *top-heavy* and more *burdensome* than it's worth.

Is your whole politics based on your *anxiety* of 'millions of people swamping the border' -- ? Really? Is that what this is all about? Your 'fortress mentality', with historically *racist* roots?

Property taxes reflect the financial *bubble* in real estate pricing -- you're blaming the symptom for the disease.

As a revolutionary I don't see the bourgeois world system of nation-states really serving any purpose these days -- why are nationalist borders dividing workers into different countries, when workers have *international* interests in their own collective labor power as a *class* -- ?

Killer cops, including those in *Israel*, are on-par as a deadly threat along with domestic-terrorist *fascists*, so, yeah, I think the *defunding* is *way* overdue, and the fascist Trump *still* isn't behind bars despite trying to overthrow the presidency.

OK, I accept your answer. It's all over except for the shooting.
BlutoSays wrote:
OK, I accept your answer. It's all over except for the shooting.

Now you're just gratuitously *stereotyping*.

I'm *not* a Maoist, so I don't see politics as necessarily having to be *violent* -- there's certainly much more to it than the sensational aspects.

'Circle the wagons' should be *your* flag and motto.
Pants-of-dog wrote:
@BlutoSays

You seem to be defending Democrats by saying they have no choice and cannot go after people who employ undocumented workers. Like Trump.

He's right, BS -- you desperately *wish* that everything is only about party-politics -- blue vs. red -- and you miss the *economics* of the situation, and also the wider *social context*, like the economic role and 'rights' of the migrants themselves, all because you saw a line on a map one day and now this-is-who-we-are.
ckaihatsu wrote:Now you're just gratuitously *stereotyping*.

I'm *not* a Maoist, so I don't see politics as necessarily having to be *violent* -- there's certainly much more to it than the sensational aspects.

- - - - -

Lee Zeldin@leezeldin
I’m ok, and @EspositoforNY, and all other attendees are safe. The attacker is in custody. Grateful for the attendees who stepped up quickly to assist and the law enforcement officers who quickly responded. I’m as resolute as ever to do my part to make NY safe again.

10:54 PM · Jul 21, 2022

ckaihatsu wrote:
Now you're just gratuitously *stereotyping*.

BlutoSays wrote:

https:// twitter.com/ArthurSchwartz/status/1550304290807373826

- - - - -

Lee Zeldin@leezeldin
I’m ok, and @EspositoforNY, and all other attendees are safe. The attacker is in custody. Grateful for the attendees who stepped up quickly to assist and the law enforcement officers who quickly responded. I’m as resolute as ever to do my part to make NY safe again.

10:54 PM · Jul 21, 2022

https:// twitter.com/realJoelFischer/status/1550300892460716033

Your point / response, if any, is unclear.
BlutoSays wrote:
OH, THE IRONY

It makes sense for D.C.’s mayor, confronted with an unplanned arrival of thousands of migrants in desperate need to seek a contingent of Guard members and the D.C. Armory to serve as staff and location for a humanitarian respite center. Unfortunately, Bowser does not have the same authority over the National Guard afforded to governors of states and territories.

Are Abbott and Ducey cynically exploiting the innocent to pull a stunt aimed at Biden? Of course. But the price is being paid by D.C.

The migration crisis is not a military event. The ongoing migrant surge is, however, a federal problem. And it requires a federal response. And shame on the White House officials criticizing Bowser’s federal aid request, suggesting it plays into the hands of Biden’s Republican critics.

What, pray tell, is the White House saying? “C’mon, Bowser, take one for the team?”

Local jurisdictions such as D.C. and New York City and state capital leaders in Austin and Phoenix can help address the needs of people coming across the southern border. But ultimate responsibility must rest with a federal government that created the policies and rightly supports international agreements giving those arriving at the U.S. border the right to request asylum without being criminalized or turned back.

The Biden administration must own up to the asylum-seeking migrant problem, just as it responded to last summer’s arrival of thousands of Afghan refugees. Just as it announced in July a contribution of more than $350 million in humanitarian assistance to displaced Ukrainians.

At a minimum, state and local jurisdictions should be reimbursed for every dime spent helping destitute immigrants admitted into the United States. The money is there, fully appropriated in the foreign aid budget.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... nsibility/
[quote="ckaihatsu"][/quote]

Colbert I King is wrong, just as he's wrong on the bulk of his opinionating. But predictable given his articles in the past. https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/colbert-i-king/

No, this is NOT a federal problem. This is a Joe Biden problem. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris and the DNC transmitted the message for everyone to jump the southern border and they'll be welcomed.

"At a minimum, state and local jurisdictions should be reimbursed for every dime spent helping destitute immigrants admitted into the United States. The money is there, fully appropriated in the foreign aid budget."

Why should the tax payer reimburse jurisdictions for Joe Biden's bone-headed decisions? No, take it out of the Biden family's wealth and the DNC. Institute a windfall profits tax on the Democratic National Committee and confiscate their riches, since they are the ones creating these serial catastrophes.

For those who apparently did not see this post pro[…]

A new film has been released destroying the offic[…]

Sounds like perfect organized crime material ex[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]