Truss vs Sunak - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Beren
It'd be so tempting to support Liz Truss in becoming the next UK PM, followed by Dominic Raab, who should be followed by an ape with mediocre intelligence, because that's exactly what post-Brexit Britain would deserve ending up with. I wonder, though, if that'd be only pure evil on my part.
By Skynet
In ten years should the brits vote if they want join EU again. The Brexiteers said it is one vote in one generation a generation is about 18 years.

Sunak will lose he has not the proper heritage for the Torries. :-(
By ingliz
Sandzak wrote:Sunak will lose he has not the proper heritage for the Torries

Winchester ✔

Rich ✔

Arsehole ✔

Are you trying to say he has the wrong skin?

:lol:
By Beren
ingliz wrote:Are you trying to say he has the wrong skin?

He actually has the right one, otherwise nobody would even care if who the next UK PM will be. As a matter of fact Liz Truss would be a perfect endgame for post-Brexit Britain.
By Skynet
There is racism for people of colour and muslims, Sunak is there just to attract more voters from these groups but does not have a real chance.
By Potemkin
Beren wrote:He actually has the right one, otherwise nobody would even care if who the next UK PM will be. As a matter of fact Liz Truss would be a perfect endgame for post-Brexit Britain.

It looks like H.L. Mencken’s prophesy for America will come true for Britain too: “As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”
By Rugoz
Potemkin wrote:It looks like H.L. Mencken’s prophesy for America will come true for Britain too: “As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

To be fair, Trump didn't win the popular vote once.

And those Tory candidates seem intelligent enough.
By Potemkin
Rugoz wrote:To be fair, Trump didn't win the popular vote once.

And those Tory candidates seem intelligent enough.

Truss doesn’t. Trust me on this. And that doesn’t even make her the worst candidate.
By Beren
Potemkin wrote:Truss doesn’t.

You actually mean she's not intelligent enough, but she definitely seems intelligent enough to Rugoz and the Tory base. I myself would have never thought she'd ever make it that far, even foreign ministership seemed too much for her. But hey, she's like she could be your kind neighbour, isn't she? What could be more British than that?
By Rugoz
Beren wrote:You actually mean she's not intelligent enough, but she definitely seems intelligent enough to Rugoz and the Tory base. I myself would have never thought she'd ever make it that far, even foreign ministership seemed too much for her. But hey, she's like she could be your kind neighbour, isn't she? What could be more British than that?

I don't really follow UK politics closely, especially not on TV. She seems to be capable of stringing sentences together, which is more than one can say about Trump or senile Biden.

Sunak appears smarter though.
By ingliz
Rugoz wrote:She seems to be capable of stringing sentences together

Sentences she is intellectually incapable of understanding, lifted from some dark money think tank's policy document.

:lol:
By pugsville
Beren wrote:It'd be so tempting to support Liz Truss in becoming the next UK PM, followed by Dominic Raab, who should be followed by an ape with mediocre intelligence, because that's exactly what post-Brexit Britain would deserve ending up with. I wonder, though, if that'd be only pure evil on my part.

Is really the best leaders they can come up with? I don't think much of the labor leadership in general., but the conservatives seem to lack anyone with any Idea at all.
By Negotiator
Well, thats not just a problem of the UK. All mainstream politicians in USA and Germany are unbelievable godawful, too.

Its one thing to believe in a certain ideology etc. But these people are simply - stupid. Retarded. Cannot get a handle on reality. Live in their own echo chamber and apparently never actually check the facts.

Thats unless they are just outright demented and constantly say things that have to be "corrected" by their speakers afterwards.
By Istanbuller
Sandzak wrote:Truss does the right thing, but limiting the energy prices is stupidity (no reason to save energy)

She campaigned as a free market supporter. People thought she was going to be Thatcher 2.0. After being elected, the first thing she does is putting a price cap at energy bills. She proved to be just another random politician with no principles. :lol:
By Potemkin
Istanbuller wrote:She campaigned as a free market supporter. People thought she was going to be Thatcher 2.0. After being elected, the first thing she does is putting a price cap at energy bills. She proved to be just another random politician with no principles. :lol:

Liz Truss is what Margaret Thatcher would have been if she had had learning difficulties. Lol.
By noemon
Istanbuller wrote:She campaigned as a free market supporter. People thought she was going to be Thatcher 2.0. After being elected, the first thing she does is putting a price cap at energy bills. She proved to be just another random politician with no principles. :lol:

For the benefit of historical accuracy, she did not put a price cap on energy prices unfortunately! A price cap can only work with coordinated European action as all of Europe is interconnected and suppliers will sell abroad if you cap their prices at home.

Instead she subsidised energy to create an artificial "price cap" where the state/taxpayer covers the price beyond the "price cap" but energy companies are still charging as they please.

I would have preferred a true price cap in coordination with the EU as the EU has already decided on it and it would not cost as much money for state coffers as the current scheme. Nevertheless, Britain will still benefit from the EU's energy price cap and in combination with its own national measures, it could potentially increase its energy dividend.

Other than that, noone can complain much because providing a subsidy instead of capping the market is standard global practice today so the policy is within current economic orthodoxy and easy to defend with "everyone else is doing the same".

I welcome Kwarteng's mini-budget and looking forward for more.

Britain has wasted a lot of business confidence due to Brexit and the tax-cutting moves send a strong signal to global investors that Britain is open for business. The signal this country needs more than anything right now.
By Potemkin
noemon wrote:I welcome Kwarteng's mini-budget and looking forward for more.

Britain has wasted a lot of business confidence due to Brexit and the tax-cutting moves send a strong signal to global investors that Britain is open for business. The signal this country needs more than anything right now.

These words haven’t aged well, @noemon, even after just a few days. ;)

I stand by what I said about Liz Truss. The Tory Party will eventually crawl back to Boris across broken glass to beg him to return. Lol.
@Potemkin

Has Britian taken to the American model of passing big tax give aways to the rich? Isn't this sort of like Reagan's trickle down economics that has been proven to be a failure economically speaking? Cutting taxes for the wealthy does not increase employment, consumer spending, nor government revenues in the long term.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/ForensicArchi/status/177308040[…]

Who needs a wall? We have all those land mines ju[…]

Puffer Fish, as a senior (and olde) member of this[…]

As someone that pays very close attention to Amer[…]