The Alabama Flag, the only Flag on Earth promoting foreign language foreigners - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Most consider Rednecks as inbred, sticking to their kin, being unhospitable and uncultured. How come the Alabama Flag is the only flag on Earth promoting foreign languages and foreigners?

first published around 1841.
"The Bonnie Banks o' Loch Lomond", or "Loch Lomond" for short, is a Scottish song

Oh, ye'll tak the high road, and I'll tak the low road,
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye;
But me and my true love will never meet again
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o' Loch Lomond.

a freshwater Scottish loch which crosses the Highland Boundary Fault.Loch (/lɒx/) is the Scottish Gaelic, Scots and Irish word for a lake or sea inlet.
Bonnie is a Scottish given name and is sometimes used as a descriptive reference, as in the Scottish folk song, My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean. It comes from the Scots language word "bonnie" (pretty, attractive)
written by Robert Burns in 1788[3][4] but based on an older Scottish folk song. In 1799, it was set to a traditional tune, which has since become standard. "Auld Lang Syne"
Auld as in Old in Auld Lang Syne or Auld Alliance.

The Confederate Constitution convention held high regard in Alabama in propounding the US Constitution as the Capitol where it was written. The "Bonnie Blue Flag" was prominently performed by Harry McCarthy who was from the Scottish-Irish region and returned to there after the Northern Aggression. He therefore links the Scottish linking up with the United States and their stars on the flag in a likable ode to Scotland.

The original Scottish Blue Flag (without the star) remains a visible link to a foreign population. Its also the first and original flag of Alabama and during the Constitution Conventions. So is this also notable when in 1900 George Cohen wrote "You're a Grand Old Flag". The lyrics go on to describe a Yankee flag by comparison, and to say if "Auld Acquaintance be forgot", which is in ode to Scottish persons.

Alabama's flag remains a unique flag in being a flag considering permanently foreign persons.
:roll: It is your usual Southern BS and romanticism of losers an insurrection that they lost.

Flags promote nothing. Flags are symbolic of nationalism and tribalism.

Do you also go to Civil War re-enactments to practice losing? Haven't you wondered why they re-enact LOSING anywhere else? :knife: 150 years. Get over it, already.

Mike12 wrote:Inbred, sticking to their kin, being unhospitable and uncultured.
QFT
Godstud wrote::roll: It is your usual Southern BS and romanticism of losers an insurrection that they lost.

Flags promote nothing. Flags are symbolic of nationalism and tribalism.

Do you also go to Civil War re-enactments to practice losing? Haven't you wondered why they re-enact LOSING anywhere else? :knife: 150 years. Get over it, already.

QFT

Flags usually have a widely known theme at minimum. Most peace organizations have a flag. An entirely agricultural concern had an insurrection or revolution or what was it? Insurrection is : a violent uprising against an authority or government. Yes in fact most of them argue against that one too. Now most commentators detract from their own General Grant who said: the white trash would vote any way they were told to. These 13 Governors are the actual split of importance, and they Confederated and made a President. They were dejected after the war. In fact an obviously conservative faction of America has set America on an irreversible course of evolution. The only National Anthem available 1776 to 1900 and of the Union is "Hail Columbia" of obvious influence to the "Bonnie Blue Flag". The "Brethren" most times heard has only one definition of the Scottish Brethren and the American Brethren, and of the Christians religious order, who would be so cruel to Christians, and "what are they doing here" most asked of Union troops with captured Confederate prisoners, the false assumption that time for reaction processing or comprehension has then taken place. The permanent evolution of the United States with no endpoint certainly isn't a mode of British government in which usurpations of a King of England without representation are quite similar and modelled by the King that must be obeyed in Washington DC with Lincoln's election, they thought.
I'm not an expert and may be very wrong about this, but I suspect Alabama was settled by "less sophisticated" whites than neighboring Georgia and Mississippi. Those two other states on either side had more valuable agricultural lands and better transportation routes due to bodies of water. The "less sophisticated" whites were of Scottish-Irish ancestry, compared to the English ancestry of the wealthy plantation owners. The Scottish-Irish settlers originally settled in South-Central Pennsylvania and gradually spread south over numerous generations through the Appalachian mountains.
That might explain why Alabama may have identified with Scotland more than England, since many of the people knew they had Scottish ancestry.

But a more likely reason for the shape of Alabama's state flag is its resemblance to the Confederate flag. Even though the South had lost the Civil War, at the time the state flag was adopted the people in the South still carried a fondness for the Confederacy and their Southern heritage.

Alabama had less distinct "cultural heritage" than other surrounding states, so probably had fewer directions to draw inspiration from and Mississippi had already incorporated the Confederate flag design into the top left corner of their flag design just a few years before, so Alabama was trying to distinguish itself.
Puffer Fish wrote:I'm not an expert and may be very wrong about this, but I suspect Alabama was settled by "less sophisticated" whites than neighboring Georgia and Mississippi. Those two other states on either side had more valuable agricultural lands and better transportation routes due to bodies of water. The "less sophisticated" whites were of Scottish-Irish ancestry, compared to the English ancestry of the wealthy plantation owners. The Scottish-Irish settlers originally settled in South-Central Pennsylvania and gradually spread south over numerous generations through the Appalachian mountains.
That might explain why Alabama may have identified with Scotland more than England, since many of the people knew they had Scottish ancestry.

But a more likely reason for the shape of Alabama's state flag is its resemblance to the Confederate flag. Even though the South had lost the Civil War, at the time the state flag was adopted the people in the South still carried a fondness for the Confederacy and their Southern heritage.

Alabama had less distinct "cultural heritage" than other surrounding states, so probably had fewer directions to draw inspiration from and Mississippi had already incorporated the Confederate flag design into the top left corner of their flag design just a few years before, so Alabama was trying to distinguish itself.

1. Of course after the Reconstruction period of 1866- 1874, Confederate veterans and family returned to power in Alabama. I don't even consider that the interesting part, thats the background, and Constitution dodging. Of course they are dodging amendments for universal voting. How long can a Constitution BE?!
I think its interesting that it should be a John Knox flag. The Constitution convention was chaired in Alabama by John B. Knox, to adopt a John Knox flag and a 1901 Constitution, the alternatives are nil, in religion.
2. As the widely known "Distinct" ancestries of England and Scotland are to be underplayed. The famous line of "Birth of Nation" raises the Confederate Flag or the Alabama flag or either one to say "an unconquered race, a firey cross from old Scotland's hills". What would it cost to not be tied to your folks? We establish Stonewall Jackson was orphaned at a young age to be brought up in a Scottish Appalachian way. Of course the English Puritans arrive in the Puritan Migration between 1621 and 1650 10,000s of colony creators.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puritan_m ... %80%931640)
In 1702 the Union of the Crowns of Scotland and England and the failure of Scottish colony creation called the Darien Scheme https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme the Scottish are somewhat forced into a shared venture of colonialism. The Scots and Scots-Irish tend to call the English inhospitable but become frontier "appalachian hillbilly' "loyal mountain folk" in passing over into the frontier mountains of the colonies.
Nevertheless this would be seen by the English in a Confederate timespan of a vital Spirit of the Reformed-Presbyterian/Puritan/Congregational of our independence and immigration period compared to the 200,000 Irish at the front of the Union armies (and covering retreating forces), George Washington in fact corresponded to John Witherspoon the minister regarding a pull of Scottish emigration. George Washington the ancestor to Robert E Lee makes for a commander to Washington's artillery Henry Knox as would Andrew Jackson's close relation to Stonewall Jackson would be to Robert E Lee. I think it is Accepted that the distinctness of the Scottish American is tied in the Civil War acknowledged by Scotland. The same way the distinctness of the German American could be said to be buried in the World War 1 and World War 2 era. "Bonnie" is no known English word in even the timeperiod. "Bonnie Blue Flag"? That's a Scotsman's opinion on joining the Union and is in no other form enjoyable.

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

@FiveofSwords If you think that science is mer[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]