Exit Brexit? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By late
Brexit was a dumb idea to begin with. Now a majority regrets it, largely because it has a lot to do with starting a long, slow slide down.

So I have a question for you: Will they exit Brexit?

By ingliz
Would Europe have them?

:lol:
Brexit is like divorcing your controlling spouse, then starting to regret it because divorces are expensive, complicated and messy and wanting to go back to your controlling spouse because of that.

Then some friends tell you that you shouldn't have left your controlling spouse because they had a good job and you had more money (but it's actually more because they like how you were controlled by them).
By MadMonk
Unthinking Majority wrote:Brexit is like divorcing your controlling spouse, then starting to regret it because divorces are expensive, complicated and messy and wanting to go back to your controlling spouse because of that.

Then some friends tell you that you shouldn't have left your controlling spouse because they had a good job and you had more money (but it's actually more because they like how you were controlled by them).

That's exactly how it was. Nailed it. The freest member of the EU with every exemption known to man was a mistreated housewife.

Brexit debate ignores UK's privileged position in Europe

In sum, British diplomacy secured special treatment for the UK that no other EU member state has ever enjoyed.
MadMonk wrote:That's exactly how it was. Nailed it. The freest member of the EU with every exemption known to man was a mistreated housewife.

Brexit debate ignores UK's privileged position in Europe

Yes obviously the UK decided to leave because doing so had no benefit to them whatsoever.

"Why are you filing for divorce? Sure I take a whole bunch of your money but I let you go out with your girlfriends on friday nights, and you know Elaine and Suzy's husbands don't let them do that!"
By Beren
The Brits couldn't exit Brexit even if they wanted to, they can only have a Hindu son of South Asian immigrants from Africa as their premier to navigate them through somehow the mess created by the British hardcore.
By JohnRawls
late wrote:Brexit was a dumb idea to begin with. Now a majority regrets it, largely because it has a lot to do with starting a long, slow slide down.

So I have a question for you: Will they exit Brexit?

How can Britain as society and country be accepted right now if they might leave again after next election?
By ckaihatsu
Unthinking Majority wrote:
Brexit is like divorcing your controlling spouse, then starting to regret it because divorces are expensive, complicated and messy and wanting to go back to your controlling spouse because of that.

Funny, because it's *true* -- on-the-ground social dynamics *scale* really well, from the household, to the corporation, to the nation-state, because all three are 'internal', and *consumption*-oriented, economically speaking.

Beren wrote:
The Brits couldn't exit Brexit even if they wanted to, they can only have a Hindu son of South Asian immigrants from Africa as their premier to navigate them through somehow the mess created by the British hardcore.

Yup, I'll tend to agree here.
By ckaihatsu
I rarely have occasion to post these, but they seem to kinda *fit* for this thread -- f.y.i.

[18] Ideologies & Operations -- Dynamics 0 of 2

Spoiler: show

[19] Ideologies & Operations -- Dynamics 1 of 2

[20] Ideologies & Operations -- Dynamics 2 of 2

By pugsville
Unthinking Majority wrote:Yes obviously the UK decided to leave because doing so had no benefit to them whatsoever.

"Why are you filing for divorce? Sure I take a whole bunch of your money but I let you go out with your girlfriends on friday nights, and you know Elaine and Suzy's husbands don't let them do that!"

The Brexit vote was pretty close, it was marginal decision to leave. And the pro Brexit crowd told a bunch of porkies.

They were told about a whole range of benefits that were well just false. pro-Brexit politicians have been terrible managers.
By Rich
The biggest problem we true Remainers had was with traitor Remainers. People who wanted to remain while pushing for Turkish EU membership. Any campaign to rejoin must be built on categorical unflinching opposition to Turkish membership. We should be trying to work out how we can kick them out of NATO not getting them into the EU.

The second point is that we need to focus our contempt on the likes of Truss, Kwarteng and Starmer, who claim that they can make Brexit work. Better a Brexiteer like Rishi who seems to tacitly accept that it was a mistake than those deranged egoistical narcissists. Brexit is costing us dear, and it will cost us more, the further we move from regulatory alignment.

Third we don't need to worry about rejoining for now. The main focus should be on rejoining the single market, the customs union and the free movement zone as quickly as possible.
By noemon
Brexiteers were pushing for Turkish EU membership, not Remainers.

Your nonsense are mind-numbing.
By Robert Urbanek
I sent a letter today to PM Rishi Sunak explaining how the fate of London may depend on the UK rejoining the EU. It's all about tea vs. wine. I'll let you know if anything comes of that.
By Robert Urbanek
ckaihatsu wrote:Literal *commodities* -- ?

*Cultural* commodities -- ?

Meaningless *labels*, for vapid *rhetoric* -- ?

Tea: The British way of life and insular nationalism
Wine: Associated more with France and Italy and, thus, the EU.

This has to do with alternative memories of the music video Hard Drive Gold, which features a pole vaulter who is nuked as she completes her last jump. In one version of the video, an elderly woman looking out a window is drinking tea, in another version, white wine.

Brexit fits into Putin's view that Britain is isolated and has no friends to come to its defense.
By Robert Urbanek
ckaihatsu wrote:Defense from what?

Putin and his allies have made a number of threats and suggestions of a nuclear strike on the UK, such as the report on June 26: “Vladimir Putin ally warns London ‘will be bombed first’ if World War 3 breaks out.”

The Russians would hopefully be deterred by the United Kingdom’s arsenal of 120 operational nuclear weapons. Only 40 are deployed at a time, all on four nuclear-powered submarines. Presumably, they can only be launched at the direction of the prime minister, although there may be a secondary line of command if London was suddenly erased from the map.

Still, the ability of the submarines to receive attack orders might be compromised, if not by Russian signal interference, then perhaps by a natural source: a giant solar storm that wipes out global communications, leaving nuclear powers guessing if their opponents will take advantage of the situation.

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Only Zionists believe that bollocks and you lot ar[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]