Western Balkan: Are we Europeans or Eurasians - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Where would you allocate us, Balkanites by culture???

1 Europe
55%
2 Eurasia
36%
3 Other
9%
I read quite a bit on the Balkans during the war in the 90s and learned quite a bit on this forum about your culture. I have interviewed a Serb Policeman, A Bosniak Hotelier, and a Croatian friend that used to be on this site.

The commonality between all of them? Even the cop? They all said it was the politicians, that no one cared who was what. The Bosniak even said, "We loved each other, We went to Church or Mosque and danced together at each other's weddings".

There was also a Slovene here named Mahzi. Young guy back then, but really smart.

Then there is indeed your Ottoman and loosely Helen and Byzantine influences.

You're really just the Balkanites. You're at the crossroads of East and West and always have been. If you feel something from your ancestry or culture that's important to you, and that the EU wouldn't call its own: (Forgive my Americankisness) F*ck Em.

Oh gosh, I haven't even begun to share forum lore yet, wait until I tell you about the Albanian Communist!
Unthinking Majority wrote:If you're majority Christian i'll say European. If Muslim or something else I'll say asian.

We Bosniacs do not integrate in Western societies we assimiliate unlike Serbs or Albanians. :-(

Croats forget their mother tongue often after just 1 generation.
I would contend that the distinction between Asia and Europe is arbitrary. There is no clear cut geographical distinction between them.
Unthinking Majority wrote:If you're majority Christian i'll say European. If Muslim or something else I'll say asian.

This illustrates why in my opinion whiteness is a faulty social construct. For example, there are people ranging from Iran to India whom are as light complected as those in Europe, such as some of these people in Pakistan yet they are still considered to be Asian. I feel that what is considered to be white, rather than simply Indo-European , depends upon cultural classification, i.e. whether or not it fits into Western Civilization.
Sandzak wrote:Former Yugoslavia + Albania

The Gypsies of Bulgaria and Romania I do not count

I see,
Europeans:
Croatians
Slovenians

Eurasians:
all others

whats interesting, if Bosniaks dump Serbian part they´ll become European very fast, something like Belarusian -Lipka , the only one European indigenous muslims.

question , why you guys keep the Serbian parts ? serbs are MESS , ITS NOT YOUR PROBLEM, DUMP THEM, LET EU FIX IT .
litwin wrote:I see,
Europeans:
Croatians
Slovenians

Eurasians:
all others

whats interesting, if Bosniaks dump Serbian part they´ll become European very fast, something like Belarusian -Lipka , the only one European indigenous muslims.

question , why you guys keep the Serbian parts ? serbs are MESS , ITS NOT YOUR PROBLEM, DUMP THEM, LET EU FIX IT .

Ask the White Christians in Ukraine why they do not want to dump the Russian speaking east, who voted for Janukovich
Sandzak wrote:Ask the White Christians in Ukraine why they do not want to dump the Russian speaking east, who voted for Janukovich

" Russian " (in reality surzhik) speaking east" FIGHT Moscow hordes like the lions , represent 70% of U. Army , and vote for NATO . dont buy RT. BS, there is one Ukraine and has always been

ps Janukovich is very a complicated man , but he is not Janukovich = Muscovy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surzhyk
litwin wrote:I see,
Europeans:
Croatians
Slovenians

Eurasians:
all others

You are right better would be to give the East-Bosnia up.

And excuse the bad joke about Romania and Bulgaria, I make stupid drunken jokes...
Sandzak wrote:You are right better would be to give the East-Bosnia up.

And excuse the bad joke about Romania and Bulgaria, I make stupid drunken jokes...

I see,
1) National Bosnian state ´ll be very similar to Slovenia (which is the most successful country in the entire eastern- central europe )
2) in 2 years- member EU/NATO
3) Serbian national state RS, wont even become part of Serbia. EU wont allow it, its simple
4) you guys suffer more than enough , its time to live, the serbs are problem you dont need them

kind of like this song )

Sandzak wrote:I simply do not know where we belong. We were part of the Ottoman Empire for 500 Years, and Turks are Asians.

Balkans are part of Eastern Europe, in my view. But that also includes Russia.

Turkey would be more like Eurasia, and so would the country of Georgia. (The Caucasus is a weird place and almost is like its own special region, but you're not asking about that)

The Turkish city of Istanbul is geographically and more culturally a part of Europe, although it is still part of the Eurasian country of Turkey. (many view Turkey as being part of the Middle East)

I personally do not consider Turks "Asians", even despite being on the continent of Asia, despite having a large part of their ancestry from Central Asia, and despite the origin of the word "Asia" referred to the area that is modern day Turkey.

I think you can draw a divide between Southeast Europe and Northeast Europe.

If you want to talk about culture, the Balkans are kind of interesting in that all the former Yugoslavian states have high Muslim percentages (like near 55%), except the biggest state, Serbia. Still, the majority of the population in Albania, for example, are not very religious, probably closer to European culture than Muslim culture.
In terms of ethnic ancestry, the Balkans does have a little bit of DNA from the Muslim Middle East and the Gypsies (Roma), but is mostly European.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Yale course on Ukrainian history: https://www.you[…]

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainl[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Find Someone Who Loves You Like Israel Loves Att[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]