Civil servants demand heating paid for so they can work from home - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
All Mexican workers got a wage increase and they are expected to keep going up. They also have made taxation a lot better and more just. The infrastructure investments are paying off. For two years my house would have a monthly blackout or brownout and spotty internet. Now it is almost never blacking out even with bad storms. The streets are filled with cars and public transport and the Tren Maya project is full steam ahead. I think there is progress. The other issue is a lack of laptops and computers, which makes remote work only for middle-class Mexicans and above.

I think they should do what they do in Denver. Invest massively in comfortable libraries with computers and laptop rooms. Open long hours. It helps students, and lower income people make money and find jobs.

I am impressed with the progress with medical services. It is getting better every year. But all of Latin American including Mexico needs to invest in more free health care.
BlutoSays wrote:You'll always say raising taxes are cheap. X amount today, Y amount tomorrow, and just on and on as it build on itself.

I hear the NHS is breaking down also. Health and energy problems? Hmmmm. Wonder what's going on?

Maybe it's time to figure out why energy costs are surging dramatically without lying to the public.

But that would require honesty, dropping political correctness and "climate initiatives" and going back to what works. Can't have that! Better to boil the frog instead.

Energy Prices are going because you know Capitalism. Energy companies are just making vast profits. This is the "free Market" at work.

Vast profits and increased prices are directly related, yo know if they were givernment operated this would not be a problem.

Private enterprise. Really bad at runnning a lot of stuff. Energy networks, hospitals, public transport.
Britain's economy is built on the 3 child family model. This means that business has a right to expect each woman to have an average of three kids and if the British population fail them, then they are entitled to make up the difference by immigration. However the three child policy can lead to some incy wincy little problems. There is a fixed lump of land. So with each generation there is less land per person. And this is exacerbated by the rising wealth of the elite and the upper middle class who spend their ever increasing wealth on mansions and 2nd and even 3rd homes as well as other land intensive activities such as golf courses, fields for their daughters ponies and the like.

Now the really smart among you might have noticed an additional problem. Even if the father of the family is in continuous employment from the moment he leaves full time education to the day he reaches retirement age, the vast majority of 3 parent families are going to require substantial benefit support to cover the enormous cost of housing for a 3 child family especially in the early years. And if the mother is to go out to work these parasites will probably demand subsidised child care. And then to top it all most of these three child families will be totally ungrateful to the economy that the business elite and the politicians it controls have created for them.

This is why the prudent approach for business is not to rely on the whining ungrateful losers that make up the bulk of the British population but to just increase immigration to make up for the lack of workers that business is so obliviously entitled. This kills two birds with one stone as you don't have to waste money on benefits and most immigrants don't get to vote, at least for a considerable time if ever.
JohnRawls wrote:Money invested is not useless

If spent, money invested or not is always useful. That doesn't mean that the money you invested will be very productive.

42% of startup businesses fail because there's no market need for their services or products.

:lol:
ingliz wrote:@JohnRawls

"very productive"

Startups in the UK have a high failure rate. 20% of businesses fail in their first year and around 60% will go bust within their first three years.

:)

Investment doesn't go only in to startups but it is one place. The failure rates for startups have always been high but it doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. Plus the ones that succeed increase our wealth by hundreds of folds and so on. But as I said, it is one of the sources of inovation out of many: established companies that require investment to do R and D, research institutes, private entepreneurs and so on.

Your idea is not to try because it fails. Sure, a lot of R and D fails and a lot of R and D is useless or doesn't go further than just R and D. But it is the best way to progress as time has shown because in liberal democracies we transfer that R and D in to advanced production methods or other ways to make our live better. There is clear process of R and D -> Production -> Sales/Make more money.

The communist way doesn't have an answer to this. This is one of the main problems of "communism" or heavy "left" policies that you redistribute. It is a band aid at best and an economic problem waiting to happen in the long term. Soviet Union is a perfect example taken to the extreme. Soviet Union did do R and D but it didn't let the productive forces do the other parts like transfering that R and D in to methods of production and then profit from it. So you are suggesting something similar again, take the money from the productive part of society and then just redistribute it while probably giving some to "state" researchers that won't be able to do anything besides R and D with it because sure as hell, you are not a proponent of giving money to companies to apply those production methods and profit from it.
noemon wrote:These measures will turn the recession into a depression

The tax burden is 1.0 percentage point higher than forecast in March.

corporation tax

UK corporation tax will be 25% in 2023. The average corporate tax rate is 26.69 percent in the G7.

capital gains tax

The capital gains tax rate that applies to profits from the sale of stocks, mutual funds, or other capital assets held for more than one year (i.e., for long-term capital gains) is either 0%, 15%, or 20%. However, which one of those long-term capital gains rates applies to you depends on your taxable income.

Be grateful you don't live in Denmark, where the levy is 42 percent.

I am shocked but I got an offer for$100 dollars an hour salary from a start up. They don't care that I am in México. And I got total control of hours worked. The Rep is in Santo Domingo.I think she likes me.

Why in the UK arre they having trouble employing people?
Tainari88 wrote:Why in the UK are they having trouble employing people?

Because the labour force is shrinking: it dropped by 1.6% or 561,000 between the first quarters (Jan-March) of 2020 and 2022, which is greater than the increase in job vacancies over the same period (492,000).

Rises in long-term sickness (139,000) and early retirement (70,000) don't help.

Immigration policy and Brexit. The number of EU workers fell by some 300,000, and the immigrants that replaced them had the wrong skills.

That many native job seekers have skills in declining occupations such as skilled manual work doesn't help.

Geographical imbalances in the economy.

Etc., etc., etc.

ingliz wrote:UK corporation tax will be 25% in 2023. The average corporate tax rate is 26.69 percent in the G7.

Benefit claimants and pensioners are entitled to 11% increases because of inflation while companies are not entitled to 11% of handouts .ie by decreasing their tax bill because of inflation, nay you say they must be subjected to a 31% tax increase so that government can fund rises to benefits and pensions. Healthy private companies operate with profit margins between 8%-15%, 11% inflation combined with a 30-40% increase in their tax bill makes healthy companies unsustainable, turns the recession into a depression and once they go everything else goes as well as they are the ones funding benefits, pensions and public wages.

Your entitlement is destructive to the economy and to your own selves.

Be grateful you don't live in Denmark, where the levy is 42 percent.

It is irrelevant, Danish companies have already passed these on to consumers and have been established with the Danish system in mind.

pugsville wrote:Think about this.

People working from home take on the expense of the providing the work environment and the employer is freed from such costs.

If you reduce your employer costs while should you not be entitled to cut of such ?

Think about this indeed, who is going to pay for it? From whom will you extract a further 10-20 billion per year to pay for the heating bills of public employees? And who will be paying the maintenance for their offices?
@noemon

Your economy is fucked. And it was fucked long before your party decided to reward their base with a triple lock on their pensions. 40 years of hollowing out an economy under Blue Tories, Red Tories, and Yellow does that.

The Sick man of Europe? You've been a dead man walking since Osborne.

Once we all agree that there is no magic bullet in a fucked economy, popular slogans are destroyed, and instead we must seek the least painfull path with economic output in mind as output is the only thing capable to provide real money for everybody.

After all is said and done, the least painful way to come out of this predicament is to:

1) increase interest rates decisively
2) import more workers
3) invest heavily in green energies to achieve autarky and independence from global energy fluctuations.
4) invest heavily in energy storage to be able to fall back on during difficult winters.
5) Put a moratorium on public spending except for strategic investment & infrastructure. For example cancel HS2 and throw all that money in green energy and gas storage facilities instead.
6) Put a moratorium on tax rises while the economy is shrinking.
pugsville wrote:Think about this.

People working from home take on the expense of the providing the work environment and the employer is freed from such costs.

If you reduce your employer costs while should you not be entitled to cut of such ?

OTOH, working from home also means you are released from having to fund your commute to work. And it's not clear you incur on any extra costs on heating due to WFH.
ingliz wrote:Because the labour force is shrinking: it dropped by 1.6% or 561,000 between the first quarters (Jan-March) of 2020 and 2022, which is greater than the increase in job vacancies over the same period (492,000).

Immigration policy and Brexit. The number of EU workers fell by some 300,000, and the immigrants that replaced them had the wrong skills.

That many native job seekers have skills in declining occupations such as skilled manual work doesn't help.

Etc., etc., etc.

Wow, the UK has serious problems. Latin America is saturated with youth and young people. The issue is access to computers and technology, internet that is affordable, stable electricity systems and great multilingual educations for them. I am getting slammed with people wanting language skills, and to help me place their kids in unis all over the world and to pass those TOEFL and so on entrance tests, looking for scholarships.

I am very happy with my job situation. Since I control my own thing. The cost of living in Mexico is extremely reasonable compared to the UK. Most people are over the moon if they make $750 US dollars or Euros a month. If you make $5000 US dollars a month? Living the high life here for sure. Most people make only about $250 to $550 a month full time. They do get a lot of benefits though. Double pay in December and free government health care, and that includes home visits by their family doctors where they talk with the doctor for an hour about all their problems with health and the doc gives them a thorough pharmacy list and recommendations.

If you make about $1500 US or Euros a month in Mexico? You are living extremely well. Gorgeous home, private transportation, eating out almost every day, private cook, gardener, house cleaner five times a week or more and every possible convenience.

The only thing is this region is getting popular with the foreigners and they are making the local housing market prices go up a lot. Something the locals do not like. It is safe too. Second safest city in North America between the USA, Canada and Mexico. Mérida is number two in safety rating.
ingliz wrote:Because the labour force is shrinking: it dropped by 1.6% or 561,000 between the first quarters (Jan-March) of 2020 and 2022, which is greater than the increase in job vacancies over the same period (492,000).

Etc., etc., etc.

So how are they going to solve that problem Ingliz? How are they going to get new workers? The USA just copes with letting people from Latin America in all the time. Importing young people from Latam. But how does the UK fix that worker shortage?
Tainari88 wrote:So how are they going to solve that problem, Ingliz?

They are not.

The Tories are in open rebellion against themselves. And Labour under Starmer is all out to pander to the xenophobic red wallers.

OK so here's an article by the Spectator: Yes, five million are on out-of-work benefits. Here’s the proof

So this raised obvious questions for me. Are the figures telling us that those 5.2 million people did zero hours employed or self employed work in May 2022? Either way the figures don't gives us a full picture. They don't for example tell us about people claiming tax credits. There is no attempt to estimate the number of people living completely black. Still kudos to the Spectator for at least trying to start a serious debate. It speaks to the appalling performance of our first past the post system that we don't normally have even this level of data in the public debate.
ingliz wrote:So how are they going to solve that problem, Ingliz?
They are not.

The Tories are in open rebellion against themselves. And Labour under Starmer is all out to pander to the xenophobic red wallers.

Ingliz I have never talked to you about your opinion of the state of affairs in the UK? Socially how do you see British society?

And politically what does it mean that the Tories are in a rebellion against themselves?

I think there is a crisis in many countries now. People are sick of bullshit lies from politicians. But they have no clue on how to proceed and fix things. I think all it needs is three things. Being responsible, having sound and well studied and thought out policies with models that work well, and good and dedicated people willing to put the plan into manifestation and executing it properly.

I never trust Tories, Republicans, Right wing assholes. Mostly selfish people who never care about anyone but their own personal ambitions and interests. They should never get into politics. They do so only to become rich or get more mundane power that they misuse.

The world needs a different value system badly.

There are a lot of good people in the world though.

Never underestimate the amount of decent humans that exist in this huge world full of eight billion humans.

You included.

Tories are not my cup of tea Ingliz.

First you post a UN resolution that doesn't contr[…]

https://twitter.com/GAMZIRI24/status/1782513808746[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Startup in Muscovy : mother of a Muscovite soldier[…]

Got to watch the lexicon. Heritable is not a real[…]