Russia-Ukraine War 2022 - Page 522 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

This is an interesting interview with Naftali Bennett. The stuff on Ukraine begins about 2 hours 19.

One interesting thing is that Zelensky only went out on national television after Putin gave a guarantee to the Israeli Prime minister that he wouldn't kill Zelensky. So it wasn't really quite as brave as made out by the Western Liberal media. its interesting that Zelensky considered a promise to the Israeli Prime Minister as something he could stake his life on. How different to Joe Biden, a man who has implicitly promised to make America weak again, the Taliban felt no compunction to follow though on their promises to Joe Biden.
By Beren
Rich wrote:One interesting thing is that Zelensky only went out on national television after Putin gave a guarantee to the Israeli Prime minister that he wouldn't kill Zelensky. its interesting that Zelensky considered a promise to the Israeli Prime Minister as something he could stake his life on.

In my opinion the Israeli PM was rather a mediator in this case actually, via whom Putin let Zelensky know he didn't intend to kill him anymore. However, the main thing could be that it wouldn't have made much sense for Putin to kill Zelensky following his failed attempt to overthrow the Kyiv government and replace it with his own puppets, it would have only been a senseless and most likely counterproductive murder then.
Rich wrote:One interesting thing is that Zelensky only went out on national television after Putin gave a guarantee to the Israeli Prime minister that he wouldn't kill Zelensky. So it wasn't really quite as brave as made out by the Western Liberal media. its interesting that Zelensky considered a promise to the Israeli Prime Minister as something he could stake his life on. How different to Joe Biden, a man who has implicitly promised to make America weak again, the Taliban felt no compunction to follow though on their promises to Joe Biden.

Way to go on the apple and oranges.
By Rich
Politics_Observer wrote:@Rich

As if anybody can count on the word of Putin or any of his "guarantees." :lol:

Israel can. Why do you think Balfour made the Balfour declaration? Out of the goodness of his heart? Out of the goodness of the British government's hearts? No people with any sense keep to the promises they make with international Zionism / Israel. Russia of course expects things in return from Israel and the hard core Zionists within the western establishment. Israel has kept its public support of Ukraine to the minimum it could get away with. I strongly expect Israel will be a key player eventually in bringing about a compromise peace.
Rancid wrote:It is interesting watching QatzelOk advocate for war and imperialism.

To be fair I see myself a bigger advocate of war and Imperialism than him, but I am asking for something good and just through war and death against the bad and Imperialism by the good and righteous.
By Rich
So many of you claim to care so desperately about Ukrainians and this is the reason for demanding the return of all Ukraine 2013 territory, reparations and possibly even war crimes trials. Why do I not believe you? Why do I not respect your feigned concern?

Because I suspect you're basically the same people who:

claimed to care so deeply about Afghan School girl education back in 2001.
claimed to care so deeply about building a non sectarian multicultural Iraq free of Iranian theocratic influence back in 2003
claimed to care so deeply about Egyptian democracy in 2011
claimed to care so deeply about Libyans in 2011
claimed to care so deeply Syrian freedom and democratic rights in 2011
claimed to care so deeply about Syrian Kurdish self determination in 2013

I'm not going to bother to go back further, but this pattern did not start in 2001. Note I'm not saying that the West should not have intervened in these events. Just that in all of them the West displayed its penchant for hypercritical moralistic and legalist maximalism, often combined with a feeble military minimalism.
QatzelOk  wrote:88 tanks

It's a good job that they are getting German tanks and not Boris's Challenger 2s.

The production lines for rifled 120 mm ammunition in the UK have been closed for some years so existing stocks of ammunition for the L30A1 are finite.

— Wikipedia

Trivia:

Challenger 2 tanks require two sets of tools, as the hull is built using imperial measurements and the turret is built to metric measurements.
By late
ingliz wrote:
Trivia:

Challenger 2 tanks require two sets of tools, as the hull is built using imperial measurements and the turret is built to metric measurements.

Britain used to have dozens and dozens of car companies. One was famous for using 4 or 5 different measurement standards, most of which were never recorded anywhere so a mechanic would know what to use.

Using just 2 is a big improvement 8)
By ingliz
The production lines for rifled 120 mm ammunition in the UK have been closed for some years, so existing stocks of ammunition for the L30A1 are finite.

The intensity of the conflict in Ukraine is the problem.

Note Russia used more ammunition in two days than the British military has in stock.

:)
Patrickov wrote:
To be fair I see myself a bigger advocate of war and Imperialism than him, but I am asking for something good and just through war and death against the bad and Imperialism by the good and righteous.

The point is, you can admit you are an advocate of war and imperialism. @QatzelOk claims the opposite and yet, is a supporter.

For that reason I had more respect for Igor (even though I disagreed with him), he seemed straight forward with is his intent/support. However he has disappeared because he can't own his own words, so perhaps that respect was misplaced.
litwin wrote:PRIGOZHIN LOST HIS WAR TO SHAIGU ? OR ?

BREAKING : GRU- Wagner terminating recruitment, its days are numbered. WHY ?

Yea, supposedly there are some videos floating around of showing wagner forces getting absolutely destroy. Like massive numbers of casualties on the Wagner side, with very limited/minimal casualties on the Ukrainian side.
By litwin
Rancid wrote:Yea, supposedly there are some videos floating around of showing wagner forces getting absolutely destroy. Like massive numbers of casualties on the Wagner side, with very limited/minimal casualties on the Ukrainian side.

i think the rats are leaving the Moscow boat , official statistic shows that Moscow empire can stay in the fight only until this summer somebody told pootler that war could be run only on the lines of the credits , no money no war :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=183286
Some good advice on how to make sure your arms companies (and associated grifters) make money on wars:

Paul Edwards wrote:...Wars, in order to maximize the profit from them, need to stay small. That is, they must not become so large as to be uncontrollable. This is easy to manage with small, poor countries with no defenses, such as Iraq, Syria, Libya, or Afghanistan where you destroy them and leave, but it becomes problematic with countries that can defend themselves.

The Ukraine war, to the extent that it is a war, has been a work of genius for the War Machine in that it offers the best opportunity in decades for the endless supply of very costly equipment which is then rapidly destroyed and must be replaced. It does so while avoiding the death and maiming of American grunts, substituting Ukrainians themselves for that unpleasant function...

Paul Edwards is impressed that Western arms companies sold their war by using "dead Ukies instead of dead troops from the USA," and of course, "Putin is Evil" and "UnProVokeD InVasIon" are also winning sales pitches.

I wish I was as good a shopper as most of the other posters in this thread. You guys really know how to *buy a narrative.*
Rancid wrote:For that reason I had more respect for Igor (even though I disagreed with him), he seemed straight forward with is his intent/support.

However he has disappeared because he can't own his own words, so perhaps that respect was misplaced.

As I said, I will gladly believe he has already died in either under one of the following scenarios:
1. Held his words and actually went to the front line and got killed in combat;
2. He drew anger of some homicidal maniac that he got hunt down literally; or
3. Divine judgement: His medical condition got the better of him and he's sent to the Lord.

The problem is, if what I believe was true, when and how the same would happen to Putin, his aides, and whoever in support of them, including leaders or even ordinary people of other tyrannical countries.
By Beren
QatzelOk wrote:"Putin is Evil" and "UnProVokeD InVasIon" are also winning sales pitches.

I wish I was as good a shopper as most of the other posters in this thread. You guys really know how to *buy a narrative.*

You should rather wish it were 2016 again.

However, the 2020s are different.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]