UK chucks refugees to Rwanda, Lineker associates policy to 1930's Germany - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

noemon wrote:It did not let anything go out of its own free will. It was too weak to hold it and couldn't and is now turning into a pathetic little country that blames a handful of foreigners for its own failures.

As I said, I think the whole thing should not have happened in the first place.

noemon wrote:Even Scotland and N.Ireland have elected majorities that wish to leave.

I am afraid this interpretation is too on the surface.

Electing leavers to whine for more benefits is a very temptative tactics even for minorities who think they are worse off if independent. Of course, in this case actual independence is a backfire.
Patrickov wrote:As I said, I think the whole thing should not have happened in the first place.

It doesn't matter what you think. What matters is what is actually possible and Britain lost its colonies because it was unable to defend itself to hold them.

I am afraid this interpretation is too on the surface.

Electing leavers to whine for more benefits is a very temptative tactics even for minorities who think they are worse off if independent. Of course, in this case actual independence is a backfire.

Ireland's GDP per capita is 3 times that the UK's. NI would be better off in a reunited Ireland than it is in the UK factually so, Sinn Fein won the elections last time as the SNP has been winning in Scotland for several years now.

Scotland would also be better off as it is Scotland that controls all the mineral wealth, and the vast majority of sea, fishing rights in the UK. Plus it would be in the EU and attract FDI and much higher amounts in subsidies for infrastructure. The new SNP hopeful declared very recently that Scotland does not need a referendum to leave but merely the expressed will of its people via elections. And after all, no self-respecting nation begs another for the right to hold a referendum especially when that other one has refused already.

Once again, it doesn't matter how you feel mate.

There is nothing particularly attractive or economically competitive in the UK anymore, even London has lost its first place among the stock markets in Europe having been overtaken by Paris.
@noemon I won't agree with your interpretation unless such a difference (in Ireland, to say) is totally free from aid or abnormal boosts.

You seem rather keen in bashing the UK recently that I have to take your points with a grain of salt, at least at first. Sorry.
You have always been keen on boasting the UK because of Hong Kong but you have said nothing at all, have provided zero argument, and have not even provided a counter-argument to actual reality.

Your ad-hom is desperate.

The UK has gone down the drain, and because I live it, I am a lot better placed than you to speak about it. Both for its good things and for its bad. Besides if the UK does not heed this and turn it around, it will be totally gone as a force.
@noemon

Calling people out on unnecessary or exaggerated bashing is not boosting the bashed.

I have pointed out how fundamentally different what the UK is from what Nazi was in the 1930s. You may see some people having similar reactions, but the UK is not in a position or have the intention to invade other places and impose the said racism on the scale of what the Nazis had done. To me, the fact that the UK is not as great as I think it should be is exactly why it is absurd for you to exaggerate the sentiment you have mentioned.

If anything you should worry about Russia, China or Turkey on this aspect. They are the ones who both intend and are capable to pull off what Nazis did.
Patrickov wrote:@noemon

Calling people out on unnecessary or exaggerated bashing is not boosting the bashed.

You haven't shown it being either unnecessary or exaggerated.

This is yet another fallacy changing the goalposts. Noone argued that the UK is about to invade half of Europe in an attempt to purge it from certain ethnicities.

What was said several times in fact is very true, not exaggerated and quite necessary:

[quoteIf anything you should worry about Russia, China or Turkey on this aspect. They are the ones who both intend and are capable to pull off what Nazis did.

My criticism of Russia, China, Turkey is abundant here. Your unnecessary and exaggerated admiration and apologies for the UK is what is unwarranted.
Patrickov wrote:@noemon

You haven't shown it being either unnecessary or exaggerated.

I have pointed out how fundamentally different what the UK is from what Nazi was in the 1930s. You may see some people having similar reactions, but the UK is not in a position or have the intention to invade other places and impose the said racism on the scale of what the Nazis had done. To me, the fact that the UK is not as great as I think it should be is exactly why it is absurd for you to exaggerate the sentiment you have mentioned.

This is yet another fallacy changing the goalposts. Noone argued that the UK is about to invade Europe in a blitzkrieg and purge what it deems as undesirable.

What was said several times in fact is very true, not exaggerated, and quite necessary:

noemon wrote:It's not an exaggeration at all.

This country is failing at all levels and is blaming refugees and asylum seekers in a bid to distract from its enormous failings.

Precisely like the Nazis started doing in the 30's and Germany as a whole was doing since 1918. The fascist DNVP was opposition in Germany since 1924.

It's the smallest contributor to the Ukraine war effort, yet everyone in this country believes otherwise. It is breaking up the western alliance for its own petty politics with Ireland, the EU, vaccines, AUKUS and for nothing. It has not gained anything, not even the manufacturing of a single part. Even AstraZeneca has now left for Ireland. Its economy is collapsing, the roads, trains and buses are not working, it's raising taxes to WW2 levels. The NHS has collapsed, its banks have collapsed and even the life-science sector the only thing left is picking up its bags and leaving led by AZ. Car manufacturing has fallen 2/3's since 2016. It's one & only battery plant went bankrupt last month. It has lost more than half of its high-net-worth individuals since 2016, despite all the rich Hong Kongers coming in it still is at no7 of countries in the world losing rich people abroad, just a notch above Ukraine who is at war. While Paris Bourse has overtaken the London stock exchange.

And among all these issues, what does it do? It breaks the ECHR and UN conventions to punish the handful of refugees that are coming in, the lowest amount of any country in Europe in actual fact.

If that is not full scapegoating like the nazis, then I don't know what is.

If anything you should worry about Russia, China or Turkey on this aspect. They are the ones who both intend and are capable to pull off what Nazis did.

My criticism of Russia, China, Turkey is abundant here. Your unnecessary and exaggerated admiration and apologies for the UK is what is unwarranted.
noemon wrote:What was said several times in fact is very true, not exaggerated, and quite necessary:

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-growth

https://tradingeconomics.com/france/gdp-growth

A lot of countries are teetering on recession. Higher interest rates to combat inflation have slowed economic growth, as has inflation itself.
Unthinking Majority wrote:https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-growth

https://tradingeconomics.com/france/gdp-growth

A lot of countries are teetering on recession. Higher interest rates to combat inflation have slowed economic growth, as has inflation itself.

The UK is the worst performer in both GDP and inflation in the G7.

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]

In Canada, Indigenous people have been harassed r[…]

That was weird

No, it won't. Only the Democrats will be hurt by […]

No. There is nothing arbitrary about whether peop[…]