Are Video Games Good or Bad Overall? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Are video games good or bad in the overall grand scheme of things for those who play them?

Good
37%
Bad
21%
Maybe Bad
16%
I don't know
No votes
0%
Other (Explain)
26%
Wellsy wrote:Well what moderation changes when thought of in terms of how it negatively impacts your life and as a word is left vague.
For example I grew up playing games my entire childhood, moving from Sega, PS1, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Xbox S now (Plus some PC).
I had some gamers who I played with for years across many different games and was a solid friend group for me to joke around with as a introverted lad. It was a great means to connect with some people and as a boy I didn’t have massive responsibilities that it conflicted with. However it may also be in part why I didn’t have many commitments in the first place as I spent so much time on video games.

It however was an incredibly touching and immersive experience to play games with complex stories and characters in a way movies cannot be. To make decisions with consequences and have to judge for yourself how to act is different from observing someones elses character decide things.

I can’t play games like I used to now as an adult with a family to care for. I only got an Xbox S recently or more accurately my wife did to play the Hogwarts Legacy game together. I could see how it could easily be a drain on a family when not set with hard limits.

I was born in 1966 so I missed the whole gaming culture. I think back then when I was a kid you had Atari and that ping pong game and Alien Invasion and later on Pac Man. It bored me and I rarely spent time on it. From then on I ignored games altogether.

I played a Spanish card game for nickels with my relatives and dominoes which are very popular too.

I mostly read handheld books with paper pages and printed words. A novelty. Lol. I love reading. So I have read my entire life and I still do. I rarely game at all. And would be terrible at it.

I think the technology has gotten so advanced that it stimulates your brain and it makes it hard for many to distinguish reality from fantasy and also it is easy to lose track of time. Parents that suck also use it as a babysitting service so they can go about their day and not have to answer their child's questions about life and so on.

I often prohibit computer use at home for my son. He then picks up a book and reads. This is what kids need to do. Go and sweat hard for a few hours, and then read and shower. Limit the crap they do that is addicting and wastes time.
Godstud wrote:
Video games don't fry people's brains @MistyTiger :roll: When you meet tired games it's because they stayed up all night gaming.

Anything can be addicting. Trying to say video games are bad is simply stupid.

So you have never felt tired after staring at a screen for 3 hours straight? I would feel tired. After a 2 hour movie, I need to get up and move around. Staring at a screen for long periods of time can strain the eyes and cause grogginess.

The time spent playing video games could be used to do other things like exercising, spending time with friends or learning about a new software. For children, it is important that they pay attention to their school work. When I was little, I liked the afternoon TV programs. Knowing what I know now, I would have watched less TV and studied more. Video games are for leisure and are no substitute for education. I understand now why my parents scolded me for watching TV when I should have been studying. I did okay in classes but I could have done better without TV watching every afternoon. Young children have trouble focusing on anything that isn't fun. But they need to understand that not everything in life is fun. The fact that video game playing can reduce a kid's attention and cause them to study less is bad. It's so hard to improve education if you do not understand where you went wrong. If I had focused more on math as a child, I could have been a math wiz.
Tainari88 wrote:Parents that suck also use it as a babysitting service so they can go about their day and not have to answer their child's questions about life and so on.

Haha. I teach a lot of stay-at-home mothers and that's what they all tell me they do when they need to catch a break from their kids.

MistyTiger wrote:So you have never felt tired after staring at a screen for 3 hours straight?

A friendly warning to all. I suffer from chronic migraines which I suspect began after I bought my first iPad, and which had become much more frequent recently due to stress, and if I'm not working behind a computer, I'm reading something on my iPad. Chronic migraines is a debilitating disease and if it wasn't for modern medicine that curbs the pain, there's a big chance I might've killed myself a long time ago. So yeah, be wary of too much screen time y'all.

MistyTiger wrote:When I was little, I liked the afternoon TV programs. Knowing what I know now, I would have watched less TV and studied more.

Why do you regret that if I may ask? I personally put in the minimum amount of effort required just to get by during my school and university years, and spent the rest of my time on self improvement by expanding my horizons and in search of happiness. Looking back, I don't regret it at all. A former colleague of mine who worked as a medic told me that the most common thing people would say before they died was that they regretted having worked so much.

Also, I feel a classical education these days with our gig economy isn't as useful as it used to be. Maybe it's different where you live.

Do you feel like your life would've been better now if you had studied more?
Last edited by Szabo on 30 May 2023 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Tainari88 wrote:I was born in 1966 so I missed the whole gaming culture. I think back then when I was a kid you had Atari and that ping pong game and Alien Invasion and later on Pac Man. It bored me and I rarely spent time on it. From then on I ignored games altogether.

I played a Spanish card game for nickels with my relatives and dominoes which are very popular too.

I mostly read handheld books with paper pages and printed words. A novelty. Lol. I love reading. So I have read my entire life and I still do. I rarely game at all. And would be terrible at it.

I think the technology has gotten so advanced that it stimulates your brain and it makes it hard for many to distinguish reality from fantasy and also it is easy to lose track of time. Parents that suck also use it as a babysitting service so they can go about their day and not have to answer their child's questions about life and so on.

I often prohibit computer use at home for my son. He then picks up a book and reads. This is what kids need to do. Go and sweat hard for a few hours, and then read and shower. Limit the crap they do that is addicting and wastes time.

I do think without video games I would emphasize been more of a book addict and maybe even have found Dungeons and Dragons fantasy games. But then some of my tendencies and experiences have comes from my experiences of games as well.

I still rate Elder Scrolls: Morrowind as one of the best games I have ever played for its odd landscape and culture, and just a totally different reality than anything I’ve experienced. So it has potential in the way of other mediums to provide rich and moving experiences.
I remember a wild west game where I crossed a river into Mexico and rode on a horse to the nearest town to Jose Gonzalez’s Far Away song playing in the background.
I remember the shock of adapting to the radically different game play style of Dark Souls 2 which requires timing over a run in and hack approach.
I enjoyed the stories of Tell Tale Games where its more story and choice based than a typical game.
I love stories and characters more than anything. But it has been a crutch, an escapism and I suspect despite the value of the above experiences, there was a opportunity cost in what I wasn’t doing.

My family didn’t really inoculate reading in the way I hope to with my girls. Instead we watched movies together. Hard to imagine myself in a life that wasn’t my own though. Could be better or worse. But games are special to me even while I think they can detract from other experiences and pushing ones self.
Szabo wrote:

Why do you regret that if I may ask? I personally put in the minimum amount of effort required just to get by during my school and university years, and spent the rest of my time on self improvement by expanding my horizons and in search of happiness. Looking back, I don't regret it at all. A former colleague of mine who worked as a medic told me that the most common thing people would say before they died was that they regretted having worked so much.

Also, I feel a classical education these days with our gig economy isn't as useful as it used to be. Maybe it's different where you live.

Do you feel like your life would've been better now if you had studied more?

I believe that a person who studies more is better at focusing on the task in front of them. They are more prepared to do serious work than the person who spends a lot of time doing the "fun" stuff. Life is not always fun. Sometimes to get the best rewards, you got to get your hands dirty, sweat a bit and work hard. If I had not worked hard in the office, I would not have lasted 5 years. And it is on my resume and future hiring managers will see that I was at a company for 5 years and this is a good thing to have on the resume. Five years is better than one year at one job or two years at another job, or "job hopping" as they call it. But if I had really gotten mad enough, I would have quit 3 years ago. Some jobs are not worth the pay, honestly. I totally get why people job hop.
Wellsy wrote:I do think without video games I would emphasize been more of a book addict and maybe even have found Dungeons and Dragons fantasy games. But then some of my tendencies and experiences have comes from my experiences of games as well.

I still rate Elder Scrolls: Morrowind as one of the best games I have ever played for its odd landscape and culture, and just a totally different reality than anything I’ve experienced. So it has potential in the way of other mediums to provide rich and moving experiences.
I remember a wild west game where I crossed a river into Mexico and rode on a horse to the nearest town to Jose Gonzalez’s Far Away song playing in the background.
I remember the shock of adapting to the radically different game play style of Dark Souls 2 which requires timing over a run in and hack approach.
I enjoyed the stories of Tell Tale Games where its more story and choice based than a typical game.
I love stories and characters more than anything. But it has been a crutch, an escapism and I suspect despite the value of the above experiences, there was a opportunity cost in what I wasn’t doing.

My family didn’t really inoculate reading in the way I hope to with my girls. Instead we watched movies together. Hard to imagine myself in a life that wasn’t my own though. Could be better or worse. But games are special to me even while I think they can detract from other experiences and pushing ones self.

People need basics in life. One of them is entertainment. People need to eat and sleep, and exercise and bathe and get medical care, and they need meaningful work and to pursue an education. But they also need to laugh and have fun and be entertained. It keeps us sane in a world full of disappointments with humans mistreating each other.
@MistyTiger Nobody should stare at a screen for hours straight, and even the gamers know this and take breaks. Even taking your eyes off a screen for a minute can give them a rest an allow you to refocus.

I've done gaming runs of 12 hours straight and I didn't get tired. What you're doing is what makes you tired. If it's interesting then you aren't as prone to getting tired as if you are doing something dull.

I have more problems watching a movie than doing 2 hours of gaming. Gaming is more stimulating than the inaction from watching a movie. :D

Viedo games = Good.
Godstud wrote:@MistyTiger Nobody should stare at a screen for hours straight, and even the gamers know this and take breaks. Even taking your eyes off a screen for a minute can give them a rest an allow you to refocus.

I've done gaming runs of 12 hours straight and I didn't get tired. What you're doing is what makes you tired. If it's interesting then you aren't as prone to getting tired as if you are doing something dull.

I have more problems watching a movie than doing 2 hours of gaming. Gaming is more stimulating than the inaction from watching a movie. :D

Viedo games = Good.

There are special glasses for people who stare at the screen for long periods of time. I have a pair of Gunnars and they help reduce the glare but they get smudged so easily and feel flimsy. I seldom wear them. It's the blue light and the glare that wears me out. I also tend not to blink enough if I get tense or I focus too hard on the screen.

I like that with a movie, I can look away and not feel like I'm missing anything. If I want to, I'll close my eyes as I watch a movie and just enjoy the music or sounds. Game playing can get intense and some people get really annoyed if they lose a game or someone interrupts the game. It's just a game. Sore losers.

I enjoy reading a good book and getting lost in the story. My imagination stimulates me. The story plays out in my mind.
Yes, blue light is a problem, but most screens can be modified to reduce that, and I have glasses that block blue light. Staring at any screen before going to sleep is a bad idea.

Game playing can get intense and people can be upset or get angry at the game. That is when you have to turn it off and do something else.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather go do something face to face with someone rather than play a game. The game's always going to be there, later. Also, social interactions online are really just social simulations, unless you know that person outside of the game.

I like a good book, and read every day. I also like games and do that more than I watch "TV". Creativety is something a lot of survival games have, and I enjoy that.
There is glare though if the screen you use is a OLED or glass screen. If the screen is matte, the glare is a lot less. Though OLED screens tend to show colors truer to life.

I prefer to chat with people in person rather than through gaming. Although some of the gaming headsets seem impressive and look comfier than the webchat headsets. It is rather unfair.

Sometimes shows can be educational. I used to enjoy PBS shows as a kid. I liked Masterpiece Theatre features as well.

Some games are really violent though. Years ago I remember classmates raving about Grand Theft Auto. I never understood the appeal.
MistyTiger wrote:So you have never felt tired after staring at a screen for 3 hours straight?

:eh:

I have to look at a screen 8 hours every workday...
Back when I worked in an office, I would befriend the smokers and pop out with them a couple of times per day.

Face to face social interaction, taking a break from the screen, looking at things that are far away.

As long as one avoids the secondhand smoke, it is quite healthy.
Politics_Observer wrote:
What would be an example of a video game that would be bad for somebody overall, and why? What would be an example of a video game that is good for somebody overall, and why? Last question, what is an awesome video game you have played lately, and why is it good?

If I were to answer such questions, I would assert that most video games, such as Super Mario Brothers, for an example, are amoral, neither bad or good. A bad video game, In my opinon, as far as its impact upon the moral character of a society's popular culture would be something along the lines of the infamous Custer's Revenge, in which rape is simulated. A good video game would be a puzzle game, such as Tetris, or maybe even Minecraft, in which hand eye coordination, and problem solving skills are developed. As I do not have a console that either is functional, or is set up to a working television set , especially from this century, I have only been playing computer games, such as online versions of such board games as chess and Scrabble. P.S. Back in the 90's , when I had an original Game Boy that still worked, I would play, in addition to the Nintendo cartridges, games manufactured by a company called Wisdom Tree, that was Christian themed, and in addition to the gameplay also incorporated Bible quizzes. Just for fun, and to give people a glimpse into my evangelical subcultural experience, I will include a few play throughs .
@noemon

If you ever get a chance, play Diablo 4. Excellent game. I bought it yesterday evening and played it. I was told your character can go all the way up to level 100 in the game. Won't get a chance to play much of it today given I am studying for the CompTIA Sec+ exam.
Politics_Observer wrote:@Deutschmania

You should play Diablo IV some time where your character battles the evil forces of hell. This should tickle your old evangelical side.

Interesting. From what I just read of it, on Wikipedia, Diablo IV seems a lot like Dungeons and Dragons. As you may or may not know, D&D elicited quite a bit of pushback from evangelicals , back in the day, even though as I understand it the creator was himself a Christian. As an alternative, evangelicals came up with an imitation called DragonRaid .
On the topic of Christian themed games, I’ve been going crazy over Blasphemous recently. It explores and builds on the subject of religious masochism, i.e. torturing oneself as an act of ultimate penance. Might be a tad too disturbing for some of ya’ll though.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]