Russia-Ukraine War 2022 - Page 620 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By noemon
Potemkin wrote:He was arrested specifically because he wanted independence for Ukraine. And he was the national poet for Ukrainians long before the Bolsheviks came along.

No, he was arrested under that pretext which sincerely dumbfounded both him and his followers and which is what actually matters. It does not matter how Russian authorities justified his torture, but how he truly saw himself.

And he saw himself as a Russian democrat, not as a Ukranian nationalist.

More to the point, it matters what Ukrainians did to pursue his vision, a whole lot of nothing.

I did not claim that the Scots are the same people as the English. I merely jointed out that the (majority of) Scots and the (majority of) English share a common ethnic and cultural ancestor. Which is why we both speak English.

My point is that it’s not as simple as that. History seldom is. A tiny minority of Scots speak Gaelic as their first language, a language which the vast majority of Scots can’t understand a word of. And not even their ancestors 1500 years ago would have understood a word of it. The Scots from the Highlands and Islands are Gaelic, but the Scots from the Lowlands are essentially Angles and Saxons, who speak English as their native language and have always spoken English as their native language. They were never ‘Anglicised’ - they started out that way. And all this happened long before England became a unified nation-state, so we can’t blame them for it. Lol.

They weren’t Anglicised, because they already spoke English. Nobody forced them to speak it or even ‘influenced’ them to speak it. And they were and are just as Scottish as the Gaelic speakers from the Highlands and Islands.

The Northumbrians(what you now call lowland Scots) were Anglo-Saxons indeed, the Scots were Gaelic. The Scots due to the Northumbrians and due to GB became Anglicised to the point that Gaelic has become a near-extinct language and culture.

Scots and English do not look back to a common ancestor. Russians, Ukranians and Belorussians do. That is Russians, Little Russians and White Russians in open translation.

Scots are Celts like the Irish. They look back to a common ancestor.

It's funny that we are arguing this because I've this been told by Scottish and Irish people, all of them academics. This is the regular standard reading of this matter in the UK and at the end of the day, this is precisely what we are talking about. The consciousness on people's minds, what they think when they think of themselves.
Szabo wrote:

@late

:lol: :lol: :lol: gas-lighting...

LOL, 17th Century Russia barely reached beyond the Ural Mountains; I guess Putin is anticipating that future reality with Beijing increasing its influence in Central Asia and Russian Far East. :excited:
By noemon
Cookie Monster wrote:LOL, 17th Century Russia barely reached beyond the Ural Mountains; I guess Putin is anticipating that future reality with Beijing increasing its influence in Central Asia and Russian Far East. :excited:

And that would be a good & positive development for the US and Europe, because?
noemon wrote:And that would be a good & positive development for the US and Europe, because?
Why the assumptions? :)
By noemon
Why do you assert that China growing stronger on the back of Russia is positive for Europe and the US?
noemon wrote:Why do you assert that China growing stronger on the back of Russia is positive for Europe and the US?
I didn't assert anything about positivity for Europe or the US. :)
By ingliz
litwin wrote:A shark ate a Russian in Egypt.

A shark ate an American in Australia, so what is your point?

And, what's this?

NICE JOB SHARK!!

I hope you realise how stupid this makes you look.

Gloating over the random death of some holidaymaker with a Russian passport is very childish.

:roll:
Last edited by ingliz on 09 Jun 2023 08:45, edited 2 times in total.
noemon wrote:Yo, you forgot you are describing the scenario of peace with Ukraine letting go of what it has already lost. Or do you think that Russia will agree to peace with the sanctions still on? :knife:

The wealth fund has already run out in Ukraine not in Russia.

And the oligarchs would have already made such a move, another summer night dream.

Unless Ukraine makes a huge breakthrough by September, which means by the end of this month of June 2023 at the latest(giving them the bare minimum of 2 months to advance), the whole thing is done. The whole thing ended when Bakhtum fell a few weeks ago but this has not yet trickled down to the grunts. Time to pack up and talk to Russia. Anything else is pure warmongering and using Ukranians as cannon-fodder.

As for the sanctions, not only they have not worked at all but have spectacularly backfired on the west and just like Putin's army has been shown to be weaker than we thought, the west has also been totally stripped of its economic credentials and the emperor is naked. This marks a turning point in world history of the west being factually unable to impose economic sanctions.

Sanctions are not going to get removed irrelevant if there is piece or not in Ukraine. The sanctions will get removed when the Putin regime falls. And even at that I am not sure it will be that smooth.

Russians and some commentators are really delusional to think that Ukraine will have a friendly relationship between the people of Russia and Ukraine or the sanctions will be removed by the West if peace is concluded. There is no way to get back pre-war since so much blood has been shed, so many people died, Russia revealed itself to be a monster, a savage, a Hun in the eyes of most in Europe.
China seems to have delivered some weapons for Russia. We should start fully aligning with America now. And restrict trade because of this. Another Autocratic regime showing that it cares not about cooperation and trade.
By ingliz
JohnRawls wrote:China seems to have delivered some weapons for Russia. We should start fully aligning with America now.

Why?

It's as daft as saying, 'America seems to have delivered some weapons to Ukraine. We should start fully aligning with China now.'

:lol:
ingliz wrote:Hitler was appointed chancellor of Germany in 1933 following a series of electoral victories by the Nazi Party.

Nope. Not that easy. The NSDAP was beginning to lose the majority, so the SA began to apply "pressure" to (read threaten, beat, cripple or kill) perceived enemies and all members of the Reichstag. This "election" was by no way free or democratic.
By litwin
ingliz wrote:A shark ate an American in Australia, so what is your point?

And, what's this?

I hope you realise how stupid this makes you look.

Gloating over the random death of some holidaymaker with a Russian passport is very childish.

:roll:

putin´s gang sand to the death only sons of ordinary ivan and natasha

The illegitimate son of Shoigu fled from mobilization in Turkey, - Navalny's team. 22-year-old Danila Shebunov is trying to break into show business for his father's millions under the pseudonym Sheba. The guy already owns two business centers in Moscow and rents out the space. His mother Elena, the mistress of the Minister of Defense of Russia, is a former stewardess.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... pstar.html

and this one :

By litwin
JohnRawls wrote:China seems to have delivered some weapons for Russia. We should start fully aligning with America now. And restrict trade because of this. Another Autocratic regime showing that it cares not about cooperation and trade.

to Chechnya , which is not part of Moscow empire, a smart move, the next step annexation of outer manchuria 8)
By ingliz
Wels wrote:Nope

The September 1930 election

The Nazi Party rises to national prominence, gaining 95 seats.

The July 1932 election

The Nazi Party, with 230 seats, becomes the largest party in parliament.

The November 1932 election

Although the Nazi Party saw its vote share drop by 4 points, it was still the largest party with 196 seats.

:)
JohnRawls wrote:Sanctions are not going to get removed irrelevant if there is piece or not in Ukraine. The sanctions will get removed when the Putin regime falls. And even at that I am not sure it will be that smooth.

Russians and some commentators are really delusional to think that Ukraine will have a friendly relationship between the people of Russia and Ukraine or the sanctions will be removed by the West if peace is concluded. There is no way to get back pre-war since so much blood has been shed, so many people died, Russia revealed itself to be a monster, a savage, a Hun in the eyes of most in Europe.

The only scenario where sanctions remain is a ceasefire. Peace means sanctions get removed. Thinking otherwise is a delusion. Blood spilled has never stopped peace deals from going through.

I can't seem to upload an image. Anyway I scored […]

Maybe( I know this must be a strange thing for you[…]

Great german commentary: https://www.nachdenkseit[…]

Wishing Georgia and Georgians success as they seek[…]