US Presidential election 2024 thread. - Page 24 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#15306273
Tainari88 wrote:This exists within the Roman Catholic religion. Spain is about the most Roman Catholic nation in the world. Lol.,,,,,

Like this scene from a Movie. Jesus.




What a weird scene. Is Jesus not the Word (the Logos)? I thought every single thing that existed apart from God and Jesus himself came about through Jesus, through the word. Why is Satan offering back to Jesus, the world that was created through Jesus in the first place? Christian theology is fundamentally based on John, not on the Synoptics, from which this scene is drawn.

Now the Bible may well express eternal truths or insights through myth, but I think its good to remember that is not how the overwhelming majority of Christians saw it. They didn't see the Christian religion as a set of allegoric myths.

It is sobering to remember that billions of people have lived their lives by this drivel. And even more sobering to consider that human beings have probably not fundamentally changed over the last couple of hundred years, even if they have moved on to new fantasies.
#15306284
Istanbuller wrote:Democrats' obsession of Trump is weird and stupid.


This claim of some sort of obsession is a REALLY REALLY lazy way of trying to say "SHUT UP!" It's not an argument.

Fox News and New Max certainly "obsess" over certain things as well, so what is the point of saying this? I can tell you, it's what you say when you have nothing of substance.

It's a round about and cryptic way to say "shut up" basically.
#15306287
Negotiator wrote:I dont mind comics but next time please post something thats actually funny.

For anyone.


It wasn't meant to be funny. It was meant to be sad.

And voila!
#15306289
Rancid wrote:This claim of some sort of obsession is a REALLY REALLY lazy way of trying to say "SHUT UP!" It's not an argument.

Fox News and New Max certainly "obsess" over certain things as well, so what is the point of saying this? I can tell you, it's what you say when you have nothing of substance.

It's a round about and cryptic way to say "shut up" basically.


Yes, I believe it's just their way of coping. Imagine having to actually acknowledge that you support the Trump people are discussing. Better just to talk of obsessions and pretend your leader is something else.
#15306291
Istanbuller wrote:You are talking too much about "I dislike religion because it is bad" but you don't explain me why it bad.


Actually, I made a lot of points in that post, in response to yours. The only one you responded to in turn (which was only five words) is something that is so obvious I think we can end this conversation now.
#15306320
Rich wrote:https://youtu.be/oHy83v8pGeU?si=kIp5sGFf182S-d_X

What a weird scene. Is Jesus not the Word (the Logos)? I thought every single thing that existed apart from God and Jesus himself came about through Jesus, through the word. Why is Satan offering back to Jesus, the world that was created through Jesus in the first place? Christian theology is fundamentally based on John, not on the Synoptics, from which this scene is drawn.

Now the Bible may well express eternal truths or insights through myth, but I think its good to remember that is not how the overwhelming majority of Christians saw it. They didn't see the Christian religion as a set of allegoric myths.

It is sobering to remember that billions of people have lived their lives by this drivel. And even more sobering to consider that human beings have probably not fundamentally changed over the last couple of hundred years, even if they have moved on to new fantasies.


I think one has to see it through how one interprets that scene Rich.

Basically it is about who Satan is and which world he controls eh?

Who is el Satanas or Satan in English? He is according to the Gospels? The Most Favored of all Angels of God. Lucifer. The one filled with Light. He was cast down over a separation from God. What was that? The Original Sin. Pride or thinking he was Greater than God. And an Ego. He is Ego for human beings Rich.

He controls this world. Why offer Jesus of Nazareth control of armies, wealth, Kingdoms and everything in this world that the most ambitious of humans who are of great power and influence desire most of all eh? Because it is controlled by Satan.

If you believe in the Mythology there of Christian Religion? Jesus is tested and so is Job, Moses, Abraham and David, and many more figures from the bible. Why? Will they remain true as servants to God. Remain humble, and remain true and slay their egos. The ones that Satan knows exists in an internal battle that one witnesses in all human beings. The dark and the light. The Day and the Night. The very essence of what humanity is about. A mixture of purity and corruption.

Buddhists do know about that constant back and forth as well. You see it in all the major religions Rich.

In order to understand that scene it has to do with confronting what keeps us from liberation. A spiritual liberation. Attachment to worldly power, wealth, and position. Everything corrupt and or valued. Satan controls this world. He only offers Jesus of Nazareth that which is in his realm of control.

Jesus reply is about you can only serve one master, and you have to let all of the dark side of our natures to be humbled and cast out by subjugating the darkness to God.

Satan loses his last tries to get Jesus to give in. He fails. And has to allow his path to go forward. Hoping against hope that Jesus weakens with the tests that are in the world awaiting him. The crucifixion and the resurrection.

If you look at it through myth and connect it to other religions with a lot of followers? It is about our own egos and pride. What the Ancient Greeks called Hubris Rich.

The final destination of Satan is to be reunited with the Force that cast him out. He is locked in Hell because he refuses to give up ego or pride. And that is what keeps him from redemption. The true core of what Christians should be getting rid of? Is pride, and ego. What is it? Anything that puts your own ego before living spiritually correct life. If you are a Christian then follow that example.

A tall order when you think about how hard the message of being ego-driven is done in capitalism and in many other systems of making money or worshiping the mundane in the world.

Myth is emotional and as such Rich, if you want decent government avoid having myth as the centerpiece of policy with government. It winds up becoming totalitarian and distorted.
#15306356
:lol: So the Supreme Court has ruled unanimously in Trumps' favour. Remember that a while back many Liberals were engaging in ridiculous fantasies that they would rule against Trump.
#15306359
Rich wrote::lol: So the Supreme Court has ruled unanimously in Trumps' favour. Remember that a while back many Liberals were engaging in ridiculous fantasies that they would rule against Trump.


I never held such stupid illusions. I knew Trump was going to get favored. If he wins which if you look at some hard-nosed polls in the USA? Is a likely possibility at this point. We are about nine months from election day.

Crying over spilled milk is what the liberals are doing. They did it to themselves with their two faced shitty politics. That is the truth.
#15306361
Pewty wrote:Actually, I made a lot of points in that post, in response to yours. The only one you responded to in turn (which was only five words) is something that is so obvious I think we can end this conversation now.


Instanbuller I have been reading for years. He believes in mostly what he reads from bad news sources.

I doubt he understands American culture and politics with any depth.

I wish he would just write straight from his heart and admit he just admires whoever has power and wealth because he aspires to be that someday.

But he has to be a realist. He is not an American asshole wealthy man. He probably is a regular working guy in his nation and if he was more analytical he should be voting according to his economic class and so on. Not admire a group with whom he has nothing really in common but his dreams for glory and wealth.

Lol.

That is why I think if people were truthful with their own class and group and voted for that? And if you live in a truly democratic system the Dictatorship of the Proletariat would be inevitable. Most people are PROLES, not bourgeoisie in a one-man and one-woman vote for power being true to your class consciousness is being truly democratic. The rich and powerful have always been major minorities.

If they were realistic that is the truth. The elite win when they fool the majority into thinking casino capitalism exists. You too can be rich and powerful. It might be your torn soon. You have a one-in-a-million chance of getting there.....but keep playing and spending your money to get there and vote for the Casino. Not getting rid of the vice of gambling. :lol:
#15306369
Istanbuller wrote:Democrats' obsession of Trump is weird and stupid.

It's not weird at all. They have no real platform or concern for the "working classes," so they just deflect to "the other guy is the devil" and act scared (and disgusted).

Caitlin Johnstone describes it well here:

Caitlin Johnstone wrote:...When it comes to Israel the main difference between liberals and conservatives is that:

conservatives support Israel because they like it when Muslims get murdered
...
while liberals support Israel because mumble mumble something something antisemitism Israel has a right to defend itself but we have serious concerns about the humanitarian HEY LOOK OVER THERE IT’S TRUMP!...
#15306439
Rancid wrote:Maybe we do all need jesus.


I do not wish to get preachy here in this thread , which isn't in the section of the forum where religion is supposed to be discussed , and especially given that I have since become an exvangelical , that would be ironic . However , from a religious naturalist standpoint , I would suggest that the Fruit of the Spirit embodied by Jesus , is what is needed , now more than ever . Especially as it relates to love , as it is the power of love that must ultimately prevail against all manner of earthly evil . This was the underlying theme of this book I read , by Rabbi Harold Kushner , entitled " Who Needs God" . Rabbi Kushner , like Rabbi Mordecai Kaplan before him , views God as being more of a metaphor . https://njjewishnews.timesofisrael.com/jerusalem-and-athens-together/ , https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstructionist_Judaism#Theology
I might not be sure as to the existence of Jesus , or even God . However , I do recognize the importance of the higher self , what some might describe as being the inner Christ .

Image

Image



Last edited by Deutschmania on 05 Mar 2024 04:11, edited 2 times in total.
#15306440
Deutschmania wrote:
While I do not wish to get preachy here in this thread , which isn't in the section of the forum where religion is supposed to be discussed , and especially given that I have since become an exvangelical , as that would be ironic . However , from a religious naturalist standpoint , I would suggest that the Fruit of the Spirit embodied by Jesus , is what is needed , now more than ever . Especially as it relates to love , as it is the power of love that must ultimately prevail against all manner of earthly evil . This was the underlying theme of this book I read , by Rabbi Harold Kushner , entitled " Who Needs God" . Rabbi Kushner , like Rabbi Mordecai Kaplan before him , views God as being more of a metaphor . https://njjewishnews.timesofisrael.com/jerusalem-and-athens-together/ , https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstructionist_Judaism#Theology
I might not be sure as to the existence of Jesus , or even God . However , I do recognize the importance of the higher self , what some might describe as being the inner Christ .

Image

Image





I think you are right.

Perhaps I should stop calling Trump supports MAGA morons.... still... it's hard not to.
#15306458
Potemkin wrote:Indeed, which implies that the Prosperity Gospel version of Protestantism is actually a betrayal of the very basis of the Protestant revolt against the corruption and materialism of the Roman Catholic Church of the time - the Prosperity Gospel isn’t just corrupt and materialistic, it actually asserts that this corruption and materialism is Christianity. This is far worse than merely the sale of indulgences or the like. Oscar Wilde once said that hypocrisy is the tribute which vice pays to virtue. At least the Roman Catholic Church paid tribute to Christian virtue by being hypocritical. The Prosperity Gospel doesn’t even do that. Can you imagine what someone like Luther or Calvin would have thought of all this? :eh:


I would imagine that Luther at least would have denounced such abuse and distortion of the Christian religion . John Calvin however , held a more nuanced compromising position on the subject of usury , and the emergent capitalism . Alluding to what @Tainari88 mentioned , here is an essay I just read .

" Calvinism and Capitalism Together Again "

This characterization of Calvinism as having a plutocratic nature was the justification that certain German Social Democrats , such as Werner Sombart , and Paul Lensch had for supporting involvement in World War 1 . Their argument was that the World War was a class war , between plutocratic nations , and proletarian nations . It has conversely been asserted however that the Calvinist Puritans , in England and later North America , had played a socially progressive role .

Last edited by Deutschmania on 05 Mar 2024 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
#15306471
Federal court rules state court cannot decide. How suprising. :lol:

The disagreements are more interesting. Apparently 5 judges think federal legislation is necessary to enforce article 14, the others (3 liberal judges + Barrett) say the enforcement issue should not have been decided (leaving the door open for the SCOTUS to decide the issue).

Once Trump is sworn in, legislation on the issue is impossible.

But in case the Democrats win a majority in the house, I wonder if there's a small window: when the new Congress convenes on Jan 3th and before the new president is sworn in.
#15306517
Rugoz wrote:Federal court rules state court cannot decide. How suprising. :lol:

The disagreements are more interesting. Apparently 5 judges think federal legislation is necessary to enforce article 14, the others (3 liberal judges + Barrett) say the enforcement issue should not have been decided (leaving the door open for the SCOTUS to decide the issue).

Once Trump is sworn in, legislation on the issue is impossible.

But in case the Democrats win a majority in the house, I wonder if there's a small window: when the new Congress convenes on Jan 3th and before the new president is sworn in.


It was generally regarded as a long shot that the ballot ban would be upheld.

I wonder how hard is Trump going to use the DoJ has a person weapon. Will finish the job of turning America into the very shithole he liked to make fun of.
#15306530
Rancid wrote:I think you are right.

Perhaps I should stop calling Trump supporters MAGA morons.... still... it's hard not to.


I think that to refer to such people as morons would be in insult to those who due to no fault of their own are simpleminded . However , such people , including those in my own immediate family , are possessed by a stubborn stupidity , born of willful ignorance . Such is the difference between those of us who are fact based , and them who are faith based . Only theirs is a misplaced faith in things of this world , rather than pertaining to God . And for as long as they remain in the grip of such cult mind control , it shall be futile to attempt to correct their false consciousness .
#15306539
Deutschmania wrote:I think that to refer to such people as morons would be in insult to those who due to no fault of their own are simpleminded . However , such people , including those in my own immediate family , are possessed by a stubborn stupidity , born of willful ignorance . Such is the difference between those of us who are fact based , and them who are faith based . Only theirs is a misplaced faith in things of this world , rather than pertaining to God . And for as long as they remain in the grip of such cult mind control , it shall be futile to attempt to correct their false consciousness .


@Deutschmania tell the truth, you are right now getting ready to go on a date with some woman who might be a Trump moron in disguise. But, you will give her the benefit of the doubt? Dí la verdad. AHORA.



I am smiling as I tease you Deustchmania. :lol:
  • 1
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 33

Stop condoning Islam Stop condoning Orthodox Juda[…]

@ingliz We have different parts of genetics b[…]

Farage, btw, is a Putin puppet. What a laugh. Th[…]

If the Brits ever come to their senses, that will[…]