Israel-Palestinian War 2023 - Page 178 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
But they relate to the situation on the ground. After all, that is why the Israeli right exists to begin with - the Irgun was founded as a direct result of the Hebron massacre.

You also did not answer my question regarding Israeli settlers.
They are very much relevant to your idea that a future Palestinian state would not be founded through ethnic cleansing. It was through the removal of the Jewish communities from its territory up to 1948 that its character would be legitimized.
Potemkin wrote:It was smallpox which defeated the Aztecs, not Cortes. Just after Cortes and his adventurers were expelled from Tenochtitlan in the Night of Tears, smallpox ravaged the city and the surrounding countryside, killing about 90% of the population in a matter of weeks. This was the Black Death on steroids. Can you imagine it? And this was at a time when people considered disease a judgement of the gods, a divine punishment. Can you imagine how demoralised the few survivors must have felt? And even given this, Cortes was hard-pressed to win when he returned with thousands of native allies to take Tenochtitlan. The surviving Aztecs fought to the bitter end. Cortes had wanted to capture Tenochtitlan intact, but the heroic resistance of the few Aztecs who still lived forced him to destroy it street by street. No, it wasn’t the Spaniards who defeated the Aztecs, it was smallpox.

Why did the smallpox not affect his allies?
Saeko wrote:Why did the smallpox not affect his allies?

Interestingly Saeko, if one delves deep into Mexican history? The first arrivals were not Cortés and his crew. Hernan C. arrived with some ships off the coast of present day Veracruz and most of his men were uninterested in going through the jungles and forests of that area of Mexico. They in fact threatened with mutiny against him. Him wanting to forge forward because he was wanted for sedition and being a traitor to the Spanish crown in Cuba--burned all the ships so the Spanish crew had to follow him or perish in the hard terrain controlled by hostile Mayans.

In fact, some priests and Spanish soldiers had shipwrecked earlier there way before Cortes arrival.

They wound up assmiliating to the Mayan tribes...some of them. And others lived in peace with them and depended on those Indian groups for survival.

Malinche was known for speaking various Mayan and Nahuatl dialects and it is unknown if she learned Spanish exclusively through Cortes or through the earlier arrivals. It is unclear. But earlier arrivals did arrive. The interesting thing is all it takes is for one of the hundreds carrying that deadly disease to spread like wildfire.

The allies also had very little resistance. Syphilis is an American disease that was sent back to Europe, and smallpox was a European disease sent to the Americas. When no one has any resistance to either disease? It becomes seriously plague like.
Saeko wrote:Why did the smallpox not affect his allies?

It did. But there were more of them than there were of the Aztecs.
Potemkin wrote:It did. But there were more of them than there were of the Aztecs.

The reason why Cortez had so many allies is because Aztecs were an empire that brutally savaged its subjects. Cortes was mearly a tool for them to take revenge on the Aztecs. Cortez didn't mind the divide and conquer. A win-win so to speak.
Potemkin wrote:
Nations are founded through ethnic cleansing, @late.

WW2 gave ethnic cleansing a bad name...

Israel has existed for a long time, it is 'founded'.
Iran’s supreme leader reiterates a promise to retaliate against Israel over killings of generals

Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei reiterated on Wednesday a promise to retaliate against Israel over the killings of Iranian generals in Syria, reports the Associated Press (AP).

Khamenei spoke at a prayer ceremony celebrating the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, saying the airstrike that demolished Iran’s consulate in Syria earlier this month was “wrongdoing” against a diplomatic post that is considered Iranian territory.

“When they attack our consulate section it looked like they attack on our territory,” Khamenei said. “The evil regime must be punished, and it will be punished.”

Israel threatens to strike Iran directly if Iran launches attack from its territory
Israel’s foreign minister threatened on Wednesday that its country’s forces would strike Iran directly if the Islamic Republic launched an attack from its territory against Israel, as tensions between the two countries flare after the killings of Iranian generals in a blast at the Iranian consulate in Syria, reports the Associated Press (AP).

“If Iran attacks from its territory, Israel will respond and attack in Iran,” Israel Katz said in a post on X in both Farsi and Hebrew.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2024/apr/10/middle-east-crisis-live-israel-and-us-say-number-of-aid-trucks-into-gaza-increasing?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with%3Ablock-66163f958f08a7be969b2dda#block-66163f958f08a7be969b2dda

This is going great. Can I buy a one-way ticket to Mars? #gettingthefuckoutofhere
wat0n wrote:
I'm still waiting for @late to tell us how was ISIS defeated in Mosul and Raqqa, and which US administration led that process.

My answer is that ISIS was born in American prisons.

If you can figure that out, which I doubt, you will know the answer.
JohnRawls wrote:The reason why Cortez had so many allies is because Aztecs were an empire that brutally savaged its subjects. Cortes was mearly a tool for them to take revenge on the Aztecs. Cortez didn't mind the divide and conquer. A win-win so to speak.

All Empires in human history make a lot of enemies over time. To think building empires is about respecting other groups with less power or land or whatever is foolish.

That is why I find it stupid that people do not learn from the past. Empire is a bad choice. Do not be wasteful, oppressive, overbearing and demanding. Cooperate, respect, and share. With equality on the mind for all people.

The other stuff leads to collapse.

Also being biased and only seeing defects in your enemies and not the very same people whom you think are the heroes John.

Human beings are human beings. Not stupid good guys vs bad guy narratives. The USA empire in Latin America is savage and terrible.

If you want to turn a blind eye to that and then get surprised when you get thrown under the bus down the road? It is being seriously erroneous and naive.

People being biased about Israeli colonialism and taking over land and removing people by force. It is an old tactic. Makes a lot of enemies.
wat0n wrote:
That does not say how was ISIS defeated, which administration led the process and how much civilian suffering it took, @late.

But it does tell us you're wandering around in the dark.
late wrote:But it does tell us you're wandering around in the dark.

How? ISIS' ideology does not depend on the US and, for that matter, let's not pretend Saddam Hussein was desirable in any way.
wat0n wrote:
How? ISIS' ideology does not depend on the US and, for that matter, let's not pretend Saddam Hussein was desirable in any way.

It's a bad old complicated world.

Understanding it takes some effort, and I already gave you a hint.

Eventually, you won't be able to dodge the obvious. In the meantime, that's a good place to start doing your homework.

Here's another:

https://www.amazon.com/Accidental-Empire-Israel-Settlements-1967-1977/dp/0805082417/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1U3KDEFV1CLPZ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.6NMMixcHC-JLTC3G7E6nbt6fOcXXQKWbks-_3ik_Jhwwzw46CpqpWz-AoX2CmCPjsK6Agn7LtVRYdyyFK3zXNY_i1k4X-F1EioraSCuUCGl4YeEgg_m26jpyqEaJnTPT8ZNphHTYitCJJPAL4_zFgmk209XYHY2B4jgxeJgBP4WBR42GzPDo-r4qJhFhyH7E2U0SM1C4S3ZTyLfgK0aqNSjUcrxbzkxV5GljjaDMh5Y.PQZ15M3Gh3yfH4pTBDX6OJu45dSOxu-fbNAFjaj5b3g&dib_tag=se&keywords=accidental+empire&qid=1712766777&sprefix=accidental+empire%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-1

And please don't do 5 seconds of googling and dig up some pissant review and drop it at my feet like an overeager puppy.

This doesn't happen instantaneously, I've been interested in foreign affairs since the 1960s. I made a lot of mistakes getting to where I am now. As you will.
Last edited by late on 10 Apr 2024 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
late wrote:It's a bad old complicated world.

Understanding it takes some effort, and I already gave you a hint.

No, you did not say anything of value and you still can't bring yourself to explain how was ISIS defeated.

Whenever anyone notices that you are defending ge[…]

https://twitter.com/lowkeysim/status/1784718303698[…]

Would be boring without it though. Yes, the oth[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Do you think US soldiers would conduct such suici[…]