This is going to take some getting used to.. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
"Five years later, Ms. Pelosi has stepped down from the leadership position she long held. The House progressive caucus has grown to nearly 100 members and has become a significant force within the party. The progressives have outlasted not only Ms. Pelosi, but also moderate Democrats who once led the party, like Representative Steny Hoyer, who has also bowed out of his role leading House Democrats. Representative Hakeem Jeffries of New York, the new minority leader, isn’t a member of the progressive caucus. (He left the caucus when he became leader of the House Democrats.) But he has been far friendlier to the group’s members and their agenda than his predecessor, Ms. Pelosi, a nod to the blossoming role of progressive politics within the Democratic Party and its voter base.

And in recent months, the insurgent group of unapologetic leftists has gained even more sway within the Democratic Party. Some of this is clearly a reaction to the extremism of Trumpism and far-right House Republicans. But the progressives have gained power in Washington amid rising anger over the U.S. role in Gaza.

For the first time in decades, possibly since the anti-Vietnam War and environmental movements, the left wing has led the center of the Democratic Party in a new political direction on a major issue — one sharply critical of the Israeli government, impatient with the leadership of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and increasingly willing to use American leverage to curb Israel’s military plans.

Before giving the speech on the House floor, she said, she carefully considered other factors as well, including rising antisemitic attacks and the history of genocide against Jewish communities. She also said she spoke with a close childhood friend who is a survivor of the 1994 Rwandan genocide.

“I said, you know, ‘What do you think would have been helpful?’” the congresswoman recalled. “And my friend told me that people need to see these folks as human. That’s why I chose to use the images and in my speech to discuss what famine means.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/23/opinion/progressives-democratic-party-aoc.html
@late The best response to a far Right like a Nazi racist fringe and a Trump extreme deal there is a far Left response. The clash is going to happen. Being in the middle is rejected by the majority of people who bother to vote. The moderates if they had consistency and were effective against the corporate dominance of both parties would have been in control by now. They are discarded because they failed the voters.

The more extreme parts of both sides are going to duke it out.

Civil war is possible.

But more likely will be questioning of the election results this year and violence in state capitols. If Trump wins by the far Progressive Leftists in their states. And if by the extremists in the Far Right if they lose also.

But the violence of the worst kind will be the Republicans and the Proud Boy types in that party.

In the end, the US has to clash. They can't continue with proxy wars forever spending trillions on shitty wars and arming people all over the world, to keep the dollar in circulation as the dominant thing and wanting to have access without any compromise on all resources on planet Earth.

Something has to give.

The US has a weak Left and a very violent and strong Right. The most likely scenario is that the US turns to the worst of the Right.

If that is the case, you can expect some kind of squashing of voters and democratic traditions.

After all, the US did it to many other nations. It is time the US realized what those people had to go through to get rid of these asshole dictator authoritarians that they have saddled most of Latin America with all these years. Getting rid of those people is a long, hard road.

But if they choose it? That is what they must do.
Tainari88 wrote:
@late The best response to a far Right like a Nazi racist fringe and a Trump extreme deal there is a far Left response. The clash is going to happen. Being in the middle is rejected by the majority of people who bother to vote. The moderates if they had consistency and were effective against the corporate dominance of both parties would have been in control by now. They are discarded because they failed the voters.

The more extreme parts of both sides are going to duke it out.

Civil war is possible.

But more likely will be questioning of the election results this year and violence in state capitols. If Trump wins by the far Progressive Leftists in their states. And if by the extremists in the Far Right if they lose also.

But the violence of the worst kind will be the Republicans and the Proud Boy types in that party.

In the end, the US has to clash. They can't continue with proxy wars forever spending trillions on shitty wars and arming people all over the world, to keep the dollar in circulation as the dominant thing and wanting to have access without any compromise on all resources on planet Earth.

Something has to give.

The US has a weak Left and a very violent and strong Right. The most likely scenario is that the US turns to the worst of the Right.

If that is the case, you can expect some kind of squashing of voters and democratic traditions.

After all, the US did it to many other nations. It is time the US realized what those people had to go through to get rid of these asshole dictator authoritarians that they have saddled most of Latin America with all these years. Getting rid of those people is a long, hard road.

But if they choose it? That is what they must do.

Not sure, but I don't think anyone here gets me.

There hasn't been anything like this since the 1960s, and the government back then clamped down on the Left, preventing them from having a lot of people in Congress. I see this as a very good thing, but it's also shockingly different from my experience.
wat0n wrote:
If Progressives have changed the Democrat Party, it is to make it less electable. Something MAGA did to the GOP.

Extremists feed on each other.

Most Progressives are the opposite of extremist..

You do love your lies...
wat0n wrote:
Where are those "opposite of extremist" telling these guys to fuck off?

I said most. A psych prof once said that a college kid was the least typical person you could find...

Progressives, real Progressives, focus on the basics, education, climate, that sort of thing.

Those are mainstream values, and used to be the core values of the country. We used to have the best secondary education in the world.
late wrote:I said most. A psych prof once said that a college kid was the least typical person you could find...

Progressives, real Progressives, focus on the basics, education, climate, that sort of thing.

Those are mainstream values, and used to be the core values of the country. We used to have the best secondary education in the world.

Where are the progressives telling these people to fuck off?

I'm trying to figure ot if the opening premise is[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 5, Friday Chamberlain: Hitler has missed […]

And the question you need to ask yourself, whos f[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The article IS the source, dumbnut. And its sourc[…]