US Presidential election 2024 thread. - Page 38 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#15315762
Skynet wrote:Why Americans do not vote for a third party candidate??? Like Kennedy???


Kennedy is nuts, but to your question. I think the last time a 3rd party candidate did some serious damage was like Ross Perrot in the 80/90s. Or maybe Ralph Nader?
#15315768
Trump will first cleanse the state appartus and replace them by loyalists then is the way paved for a dictature.

What if majority wants a Dictator??? They are tired by democratic politicians... I think this could prolong the Pax Americana like the transition in old Rome from republic to an empire.

It is incredible how many people believe in Qanon and believe in Trump as savior.
#15315790
Skynet wrote:Trump will first cleanse the state appartus and replace them by loyalists then is the way paved for a dictature.

What if majority wants a Dictator??? They are tired by democratic politicians... I think this could prolong the Pax Americana like the transition in old Rome from republic to an empire.

It is incredible how many people believe in Qanon and believe in Trump as savior.


Trump has no power to do that if he becomes President because in democracies power is limited by checks and balances. You have to change the laws first to actually to be able to do it. And checks and balances work and are enforced in US or Europe not like in Russia when it is a peace of paper with no teeth or actual enforcement.
#15315803
Skynet wrote:Trump will first cleanse the state appartus and replace them by loyalists then is the way paved for a dictature.

What if majority wants a Dictator??? They are tired by democratic politicians... I think this could prolong the Pax Americana like the transition in old Rome from republic to an empire.

It is incredible how many people believe in Qanon and believe in Trump as savior.


JohnRawls wrote:
Trump has no power to do that if he becomes President because in democracies power is limited by checks and balances. You have to change the laws first to actually to be able to do it. And checks and balances work and are enforced in US or Europe not like in Russia when it is a peace of paper with no teeth or actual enforcement.


Skynet is on to something though. There are far right GoP plans and actions in place right now to do exactly what Skynet just said. There is an effort to try and replace school boards, county commissions, city governments, non-elected bureaucrats, law enforcement agencies, etc. with far right people. It is totally possible in this age where so many people believe Qanon. More than that, it takes a population that has taken its freedoms and protections for granted to the point where people don't bother to vote or stand up against this stuff, because they really think it will just pass, and be business as usual (i.e. they are taking their freedoms for granted).

Dictatorship in America is certainly possible. All institutions have been eroded slowly by the far right. This is how it goes, a lot of stuff happens very slowly, almost unnoticeable to those that don't pay attention (i.e. the people taking everything for granted), and then all of sudden it all happens at once.

"Checks and balances" shouldn't be taken for granted either.
#15315842
Rancid wrote:Skynet is on to something though. There are far right GoP plans and actions in place right now to do exactly what Skynet just said. There is an effort to try and replace school boards, county commissions, city governments, non-elected bureaucrats, law enforcement agencies, etc. with far right people. It is totally possible in this age where so many people believe Qanon. More than that, it takes a population that has taken its freedoms and protections for granted to the point where people don't bother to vote or stand up against this stuff, because they really think it will just pass, and be business as usual (i.e. they are taking their freedoms for granted).

Dictatorship in America is certainly possible. All institutions have been eroded slowly by the far right. This is how it goes, a lot of stuff happens very slowly, almost unnoticeable to those that don't pay attention (i.e. the people taking everything for granted), and then all of sudden it all happens at once.

"Checks and balances" shouldn't be taken for granted either.

Excellent…. :D

Image
#15315847
Unthinking Majority wrote:...The USA is a hot mess.

Yes, this is a popular expression right now, so you have convinced me that this is a significant feature of the USA right now: hot messiness.

If your mafia casino-owner can avoid prison, he can replace the brain-dead grifter, and then have the other guy put in jail.

Since both candidates are career criminals, you can keep doing this until one of them passes away, and then replace him with yet another rich criminal.

I mean, what is the point of having genocided 150 nations if you can't elect a career criminal to commit atrocities abroad.
#15315914
JohnRawls wrote:Trump has no power to do that if he becomes President because in democracies power is limited by checks and balances. You have to change the laws first to actually to be able to do it. And checks and balances work and are enforced in US or Europe not like in Russia when it is a peace of paper with no teeth or actual enforcement.


What if Trump simply ignores the checks on his power? Who is going to stop him? You think Congress will impeach him? Not with that many MAGA morons in the house.

Basically, you must hope that his subordinates ignore his orders.
#15315924
wat0n wrote:Trump cannot easily replace state officials, including their National Guards. Congress and the federal judiciary are hardly the only checks on Presidential power.


You should look into everything that is happening at state levels though. There is a concerted effort in the GoP to do the replacing. This isn't just about Trump.
#15315927
QatzelOk wrote:Yes, this is a popular expression right now, so you have convinced me that this is a significant feature of the USA right now: hot messiness.

If your mafia casino-owner can avoid prison, he can replace the brain-dead grifter, and then have the other guy put in jail.

Since both candidates are career criminals, you can keep doing this until one of them passes away, and then replace him with yet another rich criminal.

I mean, what is the point of having genocided 150 nations if you can't elect a career criminal to commit atrocities abroad.


I agree with this message.
#15315931
Tainari88 wrote:I agree with this message.


Here's another one that you might like:

ENEMY WANTED
Mature North American Superpower seeks hostile partner for arms-racing,
Third World conflicts, and general antagonism.
Must be sufficiently menacing to convince Congress
of military financial requirements

https://www.alumni.ox.ac.uk/article/failure-is-the-new-success
#15315943
wat0n wrote:And all the other states with Dem governors, and a few states with GOP governors too (e.g. Georgia).


America gives disproportionate power to 20% of the people (i.e. rural). Anything can happen when the other 80% take their freedoms for granted.

We should never be so sure that it will all just work out.
#15315985
Rancid wrote:America gives disproportionate power to 20% of the people (i.e. rural). Anything can happen when the other 80% take their freedoms for granted.

We should never be so sure that it will all just work out.


America ain't a snowflake in this regard, almost every country does that. In Estonia a vote from the more less populated places > vote from more populated places if you count elected people/number of population.
#15316155
Rancid wrote:America gives disproportionate power to 20% of the people (i.e. rural). Anything can happen when the other 80% take their freedoms for granted.

We should never be so sure that it will all just work out.

Image

:)
#15316166
Potemkin wrote:Image

:)


Weird of you to post this, you always argued that incorporation of vast lands beyond the Mediterranean and barbaric tribes in to Rome strengthened it at the needed time giving it couple more centuries while it was my argument that going beyond Mediterranean overstretched it and hastened the fall.
  • 1
  • 36
  • 37
  • 38
  • 39
  • 40
  • 42

@FiveofSwords Adaptive traits do not define r[…]

It's been addressed already, no need to address t[…]

Teacher questions appropriateness of pow-wow

I don't think any race is superior @Pants-of-do[…]

Picassos hung in toilet cubicle at Mona in respons[…]