Project 2025 - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
User avatar
By Wellsy
#15319937
wat0n wrote:No, there's not. Republicans cannot gerrymander states they do not already govern.

Both parties play that gerrymandering game.

Agreed but Republicans have more broadly/successfully gerrymandered in their favor than Dems.
By wat0n
#15319940
Wellsy wrote:Agreed but Republicans have more broadly/successfully gerrymandered in their favor than Dems.


I wouldn't be so sure about that... I'd need some evidence of that. I recall there were some court cases on blatant Dem gerrymandering in states like Maryland.
User avatar
By Wellsy
#15319943
wat0n wrote:I wouldn't be so sure about that... I'd need some evidence of that. I recall there were some court cases on blatant Dem gerrymandering in states like Maryland.

No doubt Democrats have gerrymandered in states also, but I claim the Republicans are more successful in terms of having more states gerrymandered to their advantage.
Study shows twice as many state legislatures gerrymandered to favor Republicans

Edit: The advantage was more at the state legislature level than with congress. This affirms your point about states perhaps being able to do a lot less restricted.
The concern being if Trump wins and has executive power, he would be able to do a lot quite directly and already did previously as President because congress seems more ineffective in constraining the President and if the Supreme Court leans towards a conservatism legal activism, then there isn’t significant checks and balances on the President.

The need for a congress majority may put dome constraints but congress is not a static entity and if it does give way to a republican majority that toes the line, it brings the nation to even more dangerous waters.

It doesn’t inspire confidence that Project 2025 is an impossibility which would be the case if one trusts the strength of US political institutions. Trump himself seems to me to give the aesthetic of a kind of political revolution and change that doesn’t fundamentally change the relations except to further constrain people. Basically the view of fascism as useful means to subdue the population.

The question for the leftist interpretation of fascism as a last resort of large capitalists to bring order is whether the left is in a threatening position as it was when fascists first emerged or if it is still a reaction to the increase in strikes and the discontent of many.
By wat0n
#15319944
Wellsy wrote:No doubt Democrats have gerrymandered in states also, but I claim the Republicans are more successful in terms of having more states gerrymandered to their advantage.
Study shows twice as many state legislatures gerrymandered to favor Republicans

Edit: The advantage was more at the state legislature level than with congress. This affirms your point about states perhaps being able to do a lot less restricted.
The concern being if Trump wins and has executive power, he would be able to do a lot quite directly and already did previously as President because congress seems more ineffective in constraining the President and if the Supreme Court leans towards a conservatism legal activism, then there isn’t significant checks and balances on the President.

The need for a congress majority may put dome constraints but congress is not a static entity and if it does give way to a republican majority that toes the line, it brings the nation to even more dangerous waters.

It doesn’t inspire confidence that Project 2025 is an impossibility which would be the case if one trusts the strength of US political institutions. Trump himself seems to me to give the aesthetic of a kind of political revolution and change that doesn’t fundamentally change the relations except to further constrain people. Basically the view of fascism as useful means to subdue the population.

The question for the leftist interpretation of fascism as a last resort of large capitalists to bring order is whether the left is in a threatening position as it was when fascists first emerged or if it is still a reaction to the increase in strikes and the discontent of many.


Most of the stuff the Heritage Foundation wants would be determined by the states themselves, so that's where much of the game is. Hence why it is indeed relevant that there are more states that were gerrymandered by the (in all fairness) already existing GOP majority... Although many (yet not all) of those states are sparsely populated.

Now, many of those states do have some measures in their Constitutions to check gerrymandered legislatures, such as forcing referenda on some measures like constitutional amendments.
By Istanbuller
#15319962
Pants-of-dog wrote:Libertarians are often also opposed to democracy. Friedman is a good example.

Not really but libertarianism is superior to democracy. Anarcho capitalism is an alternative to democracy.

Libertarians want to set people free. But authoritarians (namely socialist, fascists and all other narcissists) want to make people slaves. They use democratic elections to make it.

wat0n wrote:

Most of the stuff the Heritage Foundation wants would be determined by the states themselves, so that's where much of the game is. Hence why it is indeed relevant that there are more states that were gerrymandered by the (in all fairness) already existing GOP majority... Although many (yet not all) of those states are sparsely populated.

Now, many of those states do have some measures in their Constitutions to check gerrymandered legislatures, such as forcing referenda on some measures like constitutional amendments.

I am glad that they do gerrymandering. Otherwise, Democrat authoritarians would destroy everything about free America.
By Pants-of-dog
#15320010
Istanbuller wrote:Not really but libertarianism is superior to democracy. Anarcho capitalism is an alternative to democracy.

Libertarians want to set people free. But authoritarians (namely socialist, fascists and all other narcissists) want to make people slaves. They use democratic elections to make it.


Libertarians do not want to set people free.

they want to set markets free.

This is why Friedman supported right wing dictatorships.
By Rancid
#15320012
Pants-of-dog wrote:Libertarians do not want to set people free.

they want to set markets free.

This is why Friedman supported right wing dictatorships.


Indeed, and the effect of setting markets free is to set the elite classes free to enslave the rest of everyone else.
By Istanbuller
#15320014
Pants-of-dog wrote:Libertarians do not want to set people free.

they want to set markets free.

This is why Friedman supported right wing dictatorships.

You have a choice in free markets. You can be whatever you want. However, in socialism, you don't have a choice. In Soviet Russia, people did not have freedom to choose their own job. Instead, the state told them.

Friedman did not support a right wing dictatorship. He wanted to liberalize Chile's economy. Also, Friedman was not a leading prominent libertarian. There are really big names but Friedman was not a philosopher.
User avatar
By Skynet
#15320015
In theory I am totally against abortion, but this is not practical a women can smoke or drink alchole and the baby is then disabled... You can not force somebody to be a parent.

I would rather forbid the birth of babies with obvious defects... they are a burden for family and society...
By Pants-of-dog
#15320016
Istanbuller wrote:You have a choice in free markets.


Explain how an impoverished sweatshop worker in a developing country has more freedom than a typical citizen of Canada.

Friedman did not support a right wing dictatorship.


He openly and gladly did so.

He wanted to liberalize Chile's economy.


And he did, with the help of a dictator. This proves my claim.

Also, Friedman was not a leading prominent libertarian. There are really big names but Friedman was not a philosopher.


Your opinion of his importance is not an argument.

Trump is not gonna debate with Harris. She will e[…]

World War II Day by Day

July 23, Tuesday Benes forms Czech government-in[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Thats because these people can negotiate and ha[…]

Musk is an absolute fucking moron.