Dreamtime - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
By ness31
Before I start this thread I want to apologize in advance if it comes across as disrespectful or ignorant. That is not my intention. I would like to discuss the concept and in this instance specifically Australian Indigenous Dreamtime.

Wikipedia explains that Dreamtime was first coined by anthropologists to explain the Indigenous world view. I guess my question is, did they get it right? Is it valid? And can it really be explained?

I’ll tell you one thing. I always thought Dreamtime was an allegory until I heard an Aboriginal person on the telly explaining that for them, it was all true! That it was their story of how the lands around them were physically created. Total spin out.

I can’t help but feel that Dreamtime was a misleading term.

Thoughts?
By Paddy14
ness31 wrote:Before I start this thread I want to apologize in advance if it comes across as disrespectful or ignorant. That is not my intention. I would like to discuss the concept and in this instance specifically Australian Indigenous Dreamtime.

Wikipedia explains that Dreamtime was first coined by anthropologists to explain the Indigenous world view. I guess my question is, did they get it right? Is it valid? And can it really be explained?

I’ll tell you one thing. I always thought Dreamtime was an allegory until I heard an Aboriginal person on the telly explaining that for them, it was all true! That it was their story of how the lands around them were physically created. Total spin out.

I can’t help but feel that Dreamtime was a misleading term.

Thoughts?

I live in Australia (but I was born in the UK) and I have only heard about the Dreamtime. We learnt in class that it is the word used to describe the religious and cultural view of many Aboriginals of how the world was formed. AFIK, it is a cultural myth, just like the cultural myths of Judeo-Christianity, and I think it is meant to be allegorical, just like the Bible stories. Every culture seems to have had these to explain things they didn't understand when they were at a primitive stage. I don't think educated Aboriginal people would believe all that literally, any more than educated European people would believe in Noah's Ark and Jonah and the whale (or Creationism).
By Potemkin
Paddy14 wrote:I live in Australia (but I was born in the UK) and I have only heard about the Dreamtime. We learnt in class that it is the word used to describe the religious and cultural view of many Aboriginals of how the world was formed. AFIK, it is a cultural myth, just like the cultural myths of Judeo-Christianity, and I think it is meant to be allegorical, just like the Bible stories. Every culture seems to have had these to explain things they didn't understand when they were at a primitive stage. I don't think educated Aboriginal people would believe all that literally, any more than educated European people would believe in Noah's Ark and Jonah and the whale (or Creationism).

A 'mythology' is just a religion in which no-one believes any more. To those Aborigines who still believe in it (whether 'educated' or not), the Dreamtime was and is literally true, just as to those Christians who still believe in it (whether 'educated' or not), Christ was literally crucified and literally rose from the dead.
By ness31
You’ve sort of brushed on my point Potemkin. There is something kinda off with anthropologists getting naming rights to such an important part of self identification. :hmm: Dreamtime; it sounds so innocuous, so childlike. Is that the reason behind the name? So as not to scare the living daylights out of people? And then to have to share the concept of Dreamtime with all other indigenous cultures seems so..so generic.
Co-equality? Well, ...

Sir, thank you for your response. With regard to y[…]

Democrats SHOULD build the wall

Try something new. Post your evidence. There's […]

@noemon , You wrote: "Steve wrote: Also, th[…]

The Trump Shut Down

BOycey. I agree with you entirely. Sadly you are[…]