Exopolitics-the political ramifications of ''Aliens'', ''UFO's'', and ''Extraterrestrial Life'' - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Theories and happenings too odd for the main forums.
#15014593
I'm creating a thread for discussion on the political consequences of belief in ''Aliens'', ''UFO's'', and ''Extraterrestrial Life'', regardless of whether such things are believed in or not, or true or false, as a phenomena.

I have my own opinions on the matter, after decades of research and interest in the subjects, but i'd like to know what others think too.
#15014604
I think it's unlikely we have been visited. The improbability that anyone 'out there' could have detected our planet is mind-boggling. Imagine a typical sewing needle. Now imagine a needle small enough to fit perfectly on the tip of that needle. Now toss that smaller needle into a standard haystack. The odds of finding us (the needle) may even be less than that. Our radio waves? Barely noticeable distance across our galaxy.

Image
#15014608
annatar1914 wrote:I'm creating a thread for discussion on the political consequences of belief in ''Aliens'', ''UFO's'', and ''Extraterrestrial Life'', regardless of whether such things are believed in or not, or true or false, as a phenomena.

I have my own opinions on the matter, after decades of research and interest in the subjects, but i'd like to know what others think too.


I don't think beliefs on the matter have any impact on politics and they won't until there is an unambiguous encounter. No one is going to get elected on a "protect Earth from space invaders" platform until there actually are space invaders.
#15014690
SolarCross wrote:I don't think beliefs on the matter have any impact on politics and they won't until there is an unambiguous encounter. No one is going to get elected on a "protect Earth from space invaders" platform until there actually are space invaders.


I am sorry to say that I quite disagree. Look at the budgets of NASA and other Space Agencies, given a tremendous amount of money since the 1940's, that's an enormous impact on politics.

And, I believe that the Worldwide culture is very much enamored with the concepts of Aliens and Extraterrestrials, billions of worlds much like our own in a near infinite Cosmos, this is the dreams and fantasies of millions around the world, look at the impact of Science Fiction on these people, I believe that they are an important group to deal with.

Edit-I'm sure that you already know that I am not one of those people. There is a phenomena at work, involving in my opinion non-human intelligences, but not the standard ones believed to exist on other worlds. I do not believe in evolution nor in the accepted general cosmology. Something is going on ''out there'', but Earth is a very special place, the Stage upon which the drama of the Universe is playing out.
#15014692
annatar1914 wrote:I am sorry to say that I quite disagree. Look at the budgets of NASA and other Space Agencies, given a tremendous amount of money since the 1940's, that's an enormous impact on politics.

And, I believe that the Worldwide culture is very much enamored with the concepts of Aliens and Extraterrestrials, billions of worlds much like our own in a near infinite Cosmos, this is the dreams and fantasies of millions around the world, look at the impact of Science Fiction on these people, I believe that they are an important group to deal with.

Edit-I'm sure that you already know that I am not one of those people. There is a phenomena at work, involving in my opinion non-human intelligences, but not the standard ones believed to exist on other worlds. I do not believe in evolution nor in the accepted general cosmology. Something is going on ''out there'', but Earth is a very special place, the Stage upon which the drama of the Universe is playing out.


Perhaps I misread your OP a little but I don't think NASA is able to hustle that much cash on the basis of the possible existence of aliens. The conventional view tends to be that aliens might be possible but that there is no actual evidence of them either on earth or even out there in outer space. Eg: the Fermi Paradox. NASA basically expects to find life beyond earth eventually but that life isn't really expected to be anything more sophisticated than bacteria.

No, I think NASA gets its money mostly on the natural and perennial desire to do great works, to do something heroic and amazing. It isn't really that different from the aspirations which prompted Rome to conquor the known world and build palaces and coliseums and whatnot except that for 20th/21st century USA the technology and science is at a level which offers outer space as the great frontier rather than the Levant and Britannia

You are right Sci-Fi dramas like Star Wars and Star Trek have been very entertaining for many people, myself included, and I suppose inevitably that has some influence on people which in turn influences political opinions in some tangential way. But a lot of politics is really humdrum stuff like how much taxes should the rich pay so that single mothers can have a free flat. Or asking should people be allowed to drive cars in the city centres? I hear people getting elected by talking up all sorts of things from the state of the roads to whether we should lock up drug users but I don't hear anyone getting elected talking about space aliens.
#15014693
SolarCross wrote: I hear people getting elected by talking up all sorts of things from the state of the roads to whether we should lock up drug users but I don't hear anyone getting elected talking about space aliens.


Give it time. You will see it happen, I promise you.
The Evolution Fraud

he never answered the question of the origin of s[…]

Yes, it's true that, under capitalism, the only[…]

Trump's Dumb Economics

This article is from last year, but does such a go[…]

Ideally, however unrealistic it may be, we would p[…]