Trump has been impeached - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By late
#15055000
Based on what Pelosi was saying after it was done, she may be taking Prof Tribe's advice.

If I am correct, it was the right move. Shortly after, Moscow Mitch implied in a tweet that he wasn't going to cooperate with the House, and set up a fake trial.

Which means this could remain hanging over Republican heads for months.

"So far we haven't seen anything that looks fair to us," Pelosi told reporters at a press conference just moments after the House charged Trump with abuse of power and obstructing congressional investigations. “That would’ve been our intention, but we’ll see what happens over there."

Pelosi's comments, which echo suggestions raised by other Democrats throughout the day, inject new uncertainty into the impeachment timetable and send the House and Senate lurching toward a potential constitutional crisis."




https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/18/trump-impeachment-trial-steny-hoyer-087319
#15055009
Arrived in NY today, walked into my Hotel Room, switched on the telly and the vote was taking place, started unpacking my stuff and suddenly hear..."so it's done folks"....

For those hopeful that Trump is gone, this may not be the case as it is very possible that he will survive the Senate hearing and there is also the possibility that he may be re-elected apparently even if impeached. Can an American please explain in more detail, how all these technicalities work for the rest of us?

The irony:

#15055013
They have been trying to impeach Trump before he was inaugurated.
The present impeachment procedure is a total partisan affair.

noemon wrote:For those hopeful that Trump is gone, this may not be the case as it is very possible that he will survive the Senate hearing and there is also the possibility that he may be re-elected apparently even if impeached.

It is a certainty that he will be found innocent in the Senate. Again, on partisan grounds.
And he can, and maybe will, be re-elected, just like Bill Clinton was.

The latest news is that the procedure might not even go to the Senate because the Democrats want to avoid defeat there and embarrassing questions to witnesses.
#15055024
Ter wrote:They have been trying to impeach Trump before he was inaugurated.
:roll: Please provide a source for this ridiculous claim.

Ter wrote:And he can, and maybe will, be re-elected, just like Bill Clinton was.
Clinton wasn't re-elected after being impeached.

The impeachment is a done deal. Now it has to go to the Senate.
#15055025
If an independent court or investigation committee can be called it would be better. And make it like whoever denying this would be automatically found guilty of Contempt of Court. Then put suspects from both sides on trial.
#15055027
Godstud wrote::roll: Please provide a source for this ridiculous claim.

You're right.
I was thinking of the liberals running through the streets of DC shouting "not my president!"

Godstud wrote:Clinton wasn't re-elected after being impeached.

Right.
But he continued being President as if nothing happened.
Bill Clinton was not removed from office, as neither will be President Trump.
As I said, it is all happening on partisan lines.
American society is absurdly polarised, right down the middle.
#15055029
A family member called to console me about the impeachment while I was watching the Battle Creek Merry Christmas Presidential Rally.

I think she experienced cognitive dissonance to hear my laughter and lack of concern at the news.

The Left believes they are the rightful inheritors of our founding father's brilliant gift.

But they have violated the original idea and spirit of government of, by and for the people.

They are like the rich kids hoping for the old man to leave them the company which they intend to gut and sell off the parts so they can live large, doing blow and broads and living in an ashram where the other groovy guys and gals pump them for money.
#15055030
Ter wrote:I was thinking of the liberals running through the streets of DC shouting "not my president!"
That's not calling for impeachment, so your emotional argument is invalid.

Ter wrote:But he continued being President as if nothing happened.
That is the same as could happen with Trump, as Clinton was acquitted in the Senate.

Ter wrote:American society is absurdly polarised, right down the middle.
QFT. Most of the American politicians have strived towards that end.

@Bob Alou Your laughter doesn't change the fact that Trump was impeached.

Bob Alou wrote:But they have violated the original idea and spirit of government of, by and for the people.
False. Trump has.
#15055031
Ter wrote:You're right.
I was thinking of the liberals running through the streets of DC shouting "not my president!"


Right.
But he continued being President as if nothing happened.
Bill Clinton was not removed from office, as neither will be President Trump.
As I said, it is all happening on partisan lines.
American society is absurdly polarised, right down the middle.


For the effort to be announced only nineteen minutes after he was sworn in (see the date stamp on the Washinton Post article below) the planning had to have been started some time before Jan. 20, 2017.

The campaign to impeach President Trump has begun

Anti-Trump protesters chant during swearing-in ceremony
Protesters broke out in chants against President Trump during his swearing-in ceremony on the U.S. Capitol. (Claritza Jimenez/The Washington Post)

By 
Matea Gold 
Enterprise/investigations editor
Jan. 20, 2017 at 9:19 a.m. EST

The effort to impeach President Donald John Trump is already underway.

At the moment the new commander in chief was sworn in, a campaign to build public support for his impeachment went live at ImpeachDonaldTrumpNow.org, spearheaded by two liberal advocacy groups aiming to lay the groundwork for his eventual ejection from the White House.

The organizers behind the campaign, Free Speech for People and RootsAction, are hinging their case on Trump’s insistence on maintaining ownership of his luxury hotel and golf course business while in office. Ethics experts have warned that his financial holdings could potentially lead to constitutional violations and undermine public faith in his decision-making.

Trump Inauguration Live Coverage

Their effort is early, strategists admit. But they insist it is not premature — even if it triggers an angry backlash from those who will argue that they are not giving the new president a chance.


From <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/20/the-campaign-to-impeach-president-trump-has-begun/>
#15055037
The organizers behind the campaign, Free Speech for People and RootsAction, are hinging their case on Trump’s insistence on maintaining ownership of his luxury hotel and golf course business while in office. Ethics experts have warned that his financial holdings could potentially lead to constitutional violations and undermine public faith in his decision-making.
So there was an actual reasonable basis for this, that you neglect to acknowledge.

Pretty typical of Trump supporters. They ignore facts.
#15055038
Godstud wrote:So there was an actual reasonable basis for this, that you neglect to acknowledge.

Pretty typical of Trump supporters. They ignore facts.


You guys have come to believe that debate is merely rooting for one's own side no matter how ridiculous or small the matter or your criticism.

That is a harbinger of bad things for the Democrats or Demwits.
#15055039
Bob Alou wrote:You guys have come to believe that debate is merely rooting for one's own side no matter how ridiculous or small the matter or your criticism.
Yes, YOU HAVE. Isn't this a great example of pot calling the kettle, black?

:roll: That you have to result in Ad Hominems only shows how lacking your argument actually is.
#15055043
Patrickov wrote:If an independent court or investigation committee can be called it would be better. And make it like whoever denying this would be automatically found guilty of Contempt of Court. Then put suspects from both sides on trial.

Impeachment is just to remove someone from office who has corrupted the office. That's all it is. It takes a two thirds majority to remove someone. That's the same for expulsion from the House or Senate. So it requires a supermajority--meaning it requires overwhelming support. This is being done for strictly political reasons.

However, impeachment is a constitutional measure. It cannot simply be changed because you think it's not ideal. It takes two thirds of both houses to propose a constitutional amendment and ratification by 3/4 of the states. So it is very difficult to change it, and there is no political will to do that in the US.

Bob Alou wrote:I think she experienced cognitive dissonance to hear my laughter and lack of concern at the news.

Yeah, I don't think anti-Trumpers get that we think this is hilarious. I think there was a genuine belief among some that we would take it seriously, and all of Pelosi's prayers, and pretending to be somber and wearing black was something we would take seriously. The politics of personal destruction is going down the toilet, and it's just a great thing to watch.

Godstud wrote:@Bob Alou Your laughter doesn't change the fact that Trump was impeached.

Impeaching him doesn't mean that it will hurt Trump. Most Trump supporters think it's a joke, because the Democrats know they can't win in 2020.
#15055048
Godstud wrote:Clinton wasn't re-elected after being impeached.


Democrats were stupid enough to put up with Hillary Clinton running for president twice post Bill's impeachment. Thus by association supporting Bill Clinton getting back the keys to the Whitehouse and it's Oval Office. Lol.

In fact it was most definitely a factor in helping Trump win.
#15055049
Godstud wrote:Yes, YOU HAVE. Isn't this a great example of pot calling the kettle, black?

:roll: That you have to result in Ad Hominems only shows how lacking your argument actually is.

:lol: This from the person who said i should "fuck off", when I pointed out that he never makes so much as a word of criticism of the Thai Royal family, or the military Junta with which it collaborates. Perhaps if Trump really did set himself up as a hereditary King and installed military rule, you would be happy to move to the United States.
#15055050


The Democrats are biting off more than they can chew.

Starting to look like 2020 could be an old fashioned Republican-landslide bloodbath in the United States.
#15055051
Rich wrote:This from the person who said i should "fuck off", when I pointed out that he never makes so much as a word of criticism of the Thai Royal family, or the military Junta with which it collaborates. Perhaps if Trump really did set himself up as a hereditary King and installed military rule, you would be happy to move to the United States.
Right, because Whataboutisms are an argument. :roll: You are also speaking from a position of complete ignorance as you say this, as Thailand is no longer under a Junta, but is a democracy. You are also talking shit when you talk about other things related to Thailand that you got off some blog from 30 years ago. Facts matter.

Again, why is bringing something up, from the past, from a different thread, off-topic, relevant? It's downright stupid.
#15055062
The Clintons and the rest of the Democrats made a mockery of Impeachment in 1998/99. They wrecked it's effectiveness as a political tool by taking a total dump on it. NO ONE CARES about it, because everyone remembers what Bill Clinton did to it, ripped the entire process to absolute pieces and everyone remembers that your party wanted to give him back a copy of the keys to the Whitehouse by forcing us to endure Hillary as the Presidential Nominee....

Lol.

The Clintons destroyed Impeachment, by treating it as nothing but an annoying inconvenience to be ripped apart. Your party made the entire process look like an inconvenient joke, and now 20 years later they're trying to use it and reminding people who lived through the Clinton Presidency of how much of a joke you treated the entire process.

YOUR PARTY MADE THE ENTIRE CONCEPT OF IMPEACHMENT LOOK LIKE A BAD JOKE.
#15055063
Wow. I didn’t think it was going to happen. Trump just sealed himself another term as Prez.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 28
Who believes him?

And if so, how can you support a President you ca[…]

The Next UK PM everybody...

The UK government seems to be. IMHO that does […]

Screenshots of threats here . Do you conside[…]

Trump has been impeached

If Republicans took their Congressional Oath of O[…]