General Motors: Climate change is real - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15074947
The last word on climate change and electric cars:

“We want to get as many EVs on the road as possible,” said Mary Barra, the GM chief executive. “We believe climate change is real, and we have the ability and responsibility to create a cleaner, healthier planet.”

Source: San Francisco Chronicle, “GM lays out ambitions for electric-vehicle lineup,” Mar. 8, 2020

Or does someone here want to claim that General Motors is part of the George Soros-funded global Marxist conspiracy?
#15074950
Robert Urbanek wrote:The last word on climate change and electric cars:

“We want to get as many EVs on the road as possible,” said Mary Barra, the GM chief executive. “We believe climate change is real, and we have the ability and responsibility to create a cleaner, healthier planet.”

Source: San Francisco Chronicle, “GM lays out ambitions for electric-vehicle lineup,” Mar. 8, 2020

Or does someone here want to claim that General Motors is part of the George Soros-funded global Marxist conspiracy?

Wait, there's a billionaire-funded global Marxist conspiracy? Why am I not in on it? I want my slice of the action, dagnabbit! :eh:
#15074952
Potemkin wrote:Wait, there's a billionaire-funded global Marxist conspiracy? Why am I not in on it? I want my slice of the action, dagnabbit! :eh:


Maybe the ''conspiracy'' is that the smart Capitalists (and they are smart, otherwise they wouldn't be at or remain where they are in life) know Marx was right.

Marx if I remember correctly said that of course the Bourgeoisie were the first to have a ''class consciousness''.
#15076315
Robert Urbanek wrote:The last word on climate change and electric cars:

“We want to get as many EVs on the road as possible,” said Mary Barra, the GM chief executive. “We believe climate change is real, and we have the ability and responsibility to create a cleaner, healthier planet.”

Source: San Francisco Chronicle, “GM lays out ambitions for electric-vehicle lineup,” Mar. 8, 2020

Or does someone here want to claim that General Motors is part of the George Soros-funded global Marxist conspiracy?


I think this statement serves a few purposes.

1 - In the last few years, GM (and ford) has been working towards shaking off it's "old school big company" image. They are trying to position themselves as a modern hip tech company like Amazon, google, facebook, etc. They've even opened large tech offices in various tech hubs in America. For example, they open a large site in Austin a few years ago, because they are trying to recruit SW/HW engineers. They are also actively trying to recruit people from silicon valley. This message about EVs and climate change resonant strongly with the young tech worker they are trying to hire. This message is recruitment PR.

2 - Younger people (GMs future customers) are on board with EVs and on board with fighting climate change. You might as well craft a message that your future customer base wants to hear.

The broader point I'm making is that the business of business is business. Companies don't say shit, just to say. They say for a reason, the above are two of those reasons.
#15076324
Rancid wrote:I think this statement serves a few purposes.

1 - In the last few years, GM (and ford) has been working towards shaking off it's "old school big company" image. They are trying to position themselves as a modern hip tech company like Amazon, google, facebook, etc. They've even opened large tech offices in various tech hubs in America. For example, they open a large site in Austin a few years ago, because they are trying to recruit SW/HW engineers. They are also actively trying to recruit people from silicon valley. This message about EVs and climate change resonant strongly with the young tech worker they are trying to hire. This message is recruitment PR.

2 - Younger people (GMs future customers) are on board with EVs and on board with fighting climate change. You might as well craft a message that your future customer base wants to hear.



3 - There's hundreds of billions of dollars to be made replacing the fleets of entire nations with EVs.
#15076328
Now if they only had a job. And that job paid more than subsistence wages. And there was money available to loan them to buy these cars. Then electric vehicles for the young would be spiffy.

Interesting to talk about markets when, for all intent and purposes there is no market right now.

But seriously. I got a call from a car salesman who wanted me to replace my Prius. Usually they have a pretty good answer for just about any objection. He just did not have one for "I am not going to go to your store because I might die from the trip and you can't come here because you may kill me".
#15076329
Potemkin wrote:Wait, there's a billionaire-funded global Marxist conspiracy?


You don't know about the totally incestuous relationship between Marxism and the global oligarchs? Marx himself was funded by the capitalist oligarchs. Engels was a capitalist oligarch. :lol: It's fucking ridiculous that you people don't have any idea about what you're involved in. :lol: You should go read Sutton's "Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution", like right now.

Wall Street's involvement in the Bolshevik Revolution was to destroy Russia as an economic competitor and turn it into "a captive market and a technical colony to be exploited by a few high-powered American financiers and the corporations under their control"

the Cold War was "not fought to restrain communism" but was organised in order "to generate multibillion-dollar armaments contracts"
#15076338
Sivad wrote:3 - There's hundreds of billions of dollars to be made replacing the fleets of entire nations with EVs.


True, but today, that total addressable market (TAM) is still small. It's going to need more time to grow. That said, the writing is on the wall, and EV will eventually replace gasoline.

The one metric where gasoline is still king is energy density, and it's going to take a while before battery tech closes that gap significantly.

colliric wrote:Must have finally noticed Tesla motors eating into their profit margin and market share.


It's always nice to have startups that shake things up. GM/Ford/VAG/etc. are sleepy giants that are starting to wake up. They could end up crushing Tesla (or not).
#15076356
Rancid wrote:True, but today, that total addressable market (TAM) is still small. It's going to need more time to grow. That said, the writing is on the wall, and EV will eventually replace gasoline.


That will rapidly change if the progs get their way. Taxes, subsidies, mandates, exploration and drilling bans, and refinery closures will force the more expensive, less efficient technology on society. They've already done it with wind and solar in Europe, UK, Canada, and some US states. That's what GM is betting on, not the competitiveness of the technology.

The one metric where gasoline is still king is energy density, and it's going to take a while before battery tech closes that gap significantly.


Even ignoring path dependency which would cost an astronomical to change at this point, the technology is nowhere near competitive with gasoline combustion.

>: >: >: You guys remember this Swan[…]

Am I creepy?

Other. (You forgot that option) You're weird. […]

I am an Agnostic Atheist. I don't believe, but I d[…]

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/65/4f[…]