Does China Owe Reparations for Coronavirus? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Does China Owe Reparations for Coronavirus?

1. Yes, they do.
31%
3. No.
66%
4. Other
3%
Rancid wrote:
...the propaganda machine is so strong there, that the people do not understand the idea that the government is a separate entity from the people...

We have an equally effective propaganda machine in the US, but it propagates the idea that government and the people are inherently in opposition.

Neither position is completely true or completely false.
quetzalcoatl wrote:We have an equally effective propaganda machine in the US, but it propagates the idea that government and the people are inherently in opposition.

I think this is a stretch. What I learned from them is that people should take doubt and be critical (in the sense of critical thinking) of whoever talking and whatever being talked, both the government and media, and, of course, the propaganda machines.
The very idea of reparations for a pandemic is absurd. Nobody wanted this to be spread. You'd have to find some actual purpose and intent behind this, and that's impossible to determine.
Godstud wrote:The very idea of reparations for a pandemic is absurd. Nobody wanted this to be spread. You'd have to find some actual purpose and intent behind this, and that's impossible to determine.

Reparations for the mismanagement of the pandemic at least.

I agree there should be benefit of doubt on some heavier charges (say, whether some of the Chinese policies were a deliberate attempt to tempt people to run around for resources or lighting the country's burden, in the process spreading the virus inadvertently). However, the truth-finding process should be there once the epidemic subsides.
late wrote:Ever hear of WW2?

Sorry I don't understand but I will try. Does this mean that pressing such a demand will result in another world war?
Patrickov wrote:
Sorry I don't understand but I will try. Does this mean that pressing such a demand will result in another world war?

China is always trying to stay ahead of it's tendency to collapse into chaos.

Or to put it succinctly, it's a risk we don't want to take.
Patrickov wrote:Reparations for the mismanagement of the pandemic at least.
So is Trump going to pay reparations, too?

What is considered "mismanagement"? To pay reparations you normally need some blame and some proof of wrong-doing. Even so, getting a foreign country to pay reparations, without having had a war, is pretty much unheard of.
late wrote:China is always trying to stay ahead of it's tendency to collapse into chaos.

Or to put it succinctly, it's a risk we don't want to take.

All nations do and should try to stay ahead of it's tendency to collapse into chaos. What I perceive is that China either is not up to the job or sometimes deliberately sabotages the effort, because those in power believe themselves staying in power is the way to achieve it, when (at least occasionally) the opposite is true.

I acknowledge the risk part to be factual so the problem is what will happen when the said collapse becomes inevitable or imminent.
Godstud wrote:So is Trump going to pay reparations, too?

What is considered "mismanagement"? To pay reparations you normally need some blame and some proof of wrong-doing. Even so, getting a foreign country to pay reparations, without having had a war, is pretty much unheard of.

Reparations: Yes to Americans, but probably not the world, because other countries do not get sabotaged by Trump, but either China or themselves.

War: I agree that it cannot be effectively done without defeating China, and even after that they can play the pushy-pushy game like the Japanese had done in the past few decades. As far as I concern the poll only asks "does China owe it", not "can we force China to pay it".
China does not owe anything. It's not like they intentionally spread the virus. That's simply ludicrous to suggest and so any attempt at reparations would fail, miserably, and simply make USA or others look stupid and petty.
Godstud wrote:China does not owe anything. It's not like they intentionally spread the virus.

If someone breaks an item in the department store they have to pay for it. That does not necessarily mean they do it intentionally (and most likely they don't)
No. Your department store comparison is a bit wonky.

There is no intent on China's part, to make the disease worse, or to spread it.
Godstud wrote:No. That's a ridiculous comparison to make as there is no intent on China's part, to make the disease worse, or to spread it.

Explanation required for the claim that my comparison was ridiculous. As I said, intention is not a necessary prerequisite of being entitled to reparation.

Meanwhile, fact is. Although I agree that the fact should be made clear first if one does want to pursue such a claim.
Yes, intent to damage is a requisite for reparations. It has to be just and fair, or it won't work.

If you accidentally broke something, you'd probably not have to pay for it at a department store, so I find your comparison remarkably naive. Intent is VERY important, even when it comes to private business.

Your comparison is ridiculous.
Godstud wrote:Yes, intent to damage is a requisite for reparations. It has to be just and fair, or it won't work.

If you accidentally broke something, you'd probably not have to pay for it at a department store, so I find your comparison remarkably naive. Intent is VERY important, even when it comes to private business.

Your comparison is ridiculous.

What if you accidently broke something and try to cover it up dont you deserve some fine?
China is for sure trying to cover this up and they use all the possible tools
now they have unpinned from the front page the biggest subreddit about the virus because an article about the Chinese cover up got 50k upvotes
Fuck the CCP

they have invested everywhere from NBA to reddit to video game companies and food companies and they are using to this economic power to shut down free speech
Godstud wrote:... If you accidentally broke something, you'd probably not have to pay for it at a department store ...

At least in Hong Kong, breaking items in stores almost always result in reparation demands, regardless of intentions. I never heard about exemptions, not to mention the opposite.

Godstud wrote:This isn't some retarded department store scenario.

A disease is not a broken vase.

Causing people of other countries sick or even die is comparable, or should I say, more severe than a broken vase.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Russia doesn't have endless supply of weapons and[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]

Starlink satellites are designed to deorbit and bu[…]