Paris on 2 wheels - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
User avatar
By JohnRawls
#15209285
late wrote:If you've even been to Paris, this will make you smile. Bon chance, mon ami!




Paris major is a very famous innovator in Urbanism as a science so it is improving rapidly. Basically she is defining how the cities of the future will look like.

I didn't watch the video but her changes are impressive. If I am not mistaken, then by the next summer Olympics the plan is to clean up the Seina and make it clean and properly swimmable again while transforming the banks to beaches.
User avatar
By Rancid
#15209288
JohnRawls wrote:
Paris major is a very famous innovator in Urbanism as a science so it is improving rapidly. Basically she is defining how the cities of the future will look like.

I didn't watch the video but her changes are impressive. If I am not mistaken, then by the next summer Olympics the plan is to clean up the Seina and make it clean and properly swimmable again while transforming the banks to beaches.


It's wonderful to see cities starting to prioritize humans. This will make cities more expensive though, so hopefully there is a way to mitigate that problem.

Last, as cities in America get on board with sort of stuff, I could see conservatives getting angry about it. Since they basically pin their identity on heating "liberal cities".
By late
#15209306
Rancid wrote:
It's wonderful to see cities starting to prioritize humans. This will make cities more expensive though, so hopefully there is a way to mitigate that problem.

Last, as cities in America get on board with sort of stuff, I could see conservatives getting angry about it. Since they basically pin their identity on heating "liberal cities".



Actually, it shouldn't.

And if we did actually prioritize humans, we'd change zoning to allow for competition that would drive down the cost of rents, and some real estate.
User avatar
By JohnRawls
#15209308
Rancid wrote:It's wonderful to see cities starting to prioritize humans. This will make cities more expensive though, so hopefully there is a way to mitigate that problem.

Last, as cities in America get on board with sort of stuff, I could see conservatives getting angry about it. Since they basically pin their identity on heating "liberal cities".


They shouldn't become more expensive because the drive is for public transport, less roads more bikes and scooters and so on. This frees up space for building and more greening basically. Since building and maintaining endless amount of roads is very expensive.
By late
#15209310
JohnRawls wrote:
They shouldn't become more expensive because the drive is for public transport, less roads more bikes and scooters and so on. This frees up space for building and more greening basically. Since building and maintaining endless amount of roads is very expensive.



And you don't need to own a car.

I did a semester in Vienna, in the early 70s. Their income was half of ours. Yet they dressed better, and frankly, in most respects their life was better. On half the money.
User avatar
By JohnRawls
#15209320
late wrote:And you don't need to own a car.

I did a semester in Vienna, in the early 70s. Their income was half of ours. Yet they dressed better, and frankly, in most respects their life was better. On half the money.


It depends on public transport and so on. Also Vienna is unfair because it has cheaper housing compared to any other place due to the fact that historically it has inovated in that regard and has been dealing with the problem for 40 years now unlike most places.
User avatar
By Rancid
#15209335
JohnRawls wrote:
It depends on public transport and so on. Also Vienna is unfair because it has cheaper housing compared to any other place due to the fact that historically it has inovated in that regard and has been dealing with the problem for 40 years now unlike most places.


Why aren't the rest of us taking lessons from Vienna?
User avatar
By JohnRawls
#15209338
Rancid wrote:Why aren't the rest of us taking lessons from Vienna?


Are you a communist?
By late
#15209697
Rancid wrote:
Why aren't the rest of us taking lessons from Vienna?



Good question.

But doing that also means making it so everyone can get around without a car. I was esp. fond of the old fashioned trams.

Listen, loosing 400% of your gdp means that you p[…]

Roe V. Wade to be Overturned

A referendum is a bad idea. This is far too import[…]

January 6 Hearings LIVE

It's not, but that's what people like @BlutoSa[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Putin is not holding back. The very fact the war […]