Philip Seymour Hoffman dies, age 46 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Notices of a deaths of public figures or other significant or interesting people.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/0 ... 13623.html

Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his Manhattan apartment, the Wall Street Journal reported Sunday (Feb. 2).

The 46-year-old actor's cause of death has yet to be determined but the New York Police Department is investigating and a law-enforcement official confirmed to WSJ that the Academy Award-winning actor died in his 35 Bethune St., West Village home.

The New York Post reports that Hoffman was found dead on his bathroom floor of an apparent drug overdose by a friend at 11:30 a.m. According to the New York Times, the friend visited Hoffman's home after he could not get a hold of the actor and grew concerned. WSJ criminal justice reporter Pervaiz Shallwani tweeted that Hoffman was alone at the time of his death and the man who found him was screenwriter David Katz, with whom Hoffman had recently been working on a project.

An official told the NYT that a syringe was found in the actor's arm at the scene, accompanied by what appeared to be an envelope of heroin. “It’s pretty apparent that it was an overdose," the official confirmed. "The syringe was in his arm.”

It was reported in May 2013 that Hoffman underwent drug detox treatment for substances including heroin. Hoffman also battled drug abuse in his early twenties and was clean for 23 years before relapsing.

"It was all that [drugs and alcohol], yeah, it was anything I could get my hands on ... I liked it all," Hoffman told CBS' "60 Minutes" in a 2006 interview. "I went [to rehab], I got sober when I was 22 years old. You get panicked ... and I got panicked for my life. It really was just that."

The acclaimed actor is best known for his outstanding performances in films like "The Master," "Doubt," "Charlie Wilson's War" and "Capote" -- for which he won an Oscar for Best Actor in 2005.

Hoffman is set to appear in "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1" due out in November of this year. The film is currently in post-production.

Hoffman is survived by his longtime partner Mimi O'Donnell and their three young children.

“We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone," a statement from Hoffman's family reads. "This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers.”

This story is developing ...

It's really a shame that such a great actor with still a lot of potential died at the height of his career. His works will outlive him many times over. RIP.
Paid Hollywood liar ODs on heroin while living in $10,000/month Greenwich Village apartment. Why aren't I crying?
Yes, QatzelOk, when you put it that way it's hard to feel sympathy for anyone but a relative of the deceased.
Godstud wrote:Yes, QatzelOk, when you put it that way it's hard to feel sympathy for anyone but a relative of the deceased.

No one starts threads so that everyone can say: "The poor relatives."

The idea is to provoke commentary on how we feel about famous celebrities ODing on their excess.

I haven't seen a movie in 13 years, so I don't feel bad about supporting the Hollywood prima-donna manufacturing system which, of course, is linked to propaganda and the military industrial complex.

It's like hearing about a drone dying.
Qatz wrote:No one starts threads so that everyone can say: "The poor relatives."

The idea is to provoke commentary on how we feel about famous celebrities ODing on their excess.

That's mostly because we don't know each other, let alone our relatives. Our common reference points are famous people because otherwise we have nothing to discuss. Why are you even on the internet? Surely you could be in some bistro talking to everyone there about how it doesn't count when you benefit from the rape and murder millions of indigenous people, but it does for everyone else.

Qatz wrote:I haven't seen a movie in 13 years

I was trying to think of a response to Qatz, but I didn't even want to dignify it with a real response. I think that sarcastic GIF was really the best response all things considered.

catz wrote:No one starts threads so that everyone can say: "The poor relatives."

We don't really care about any of that. I care because his life's work enriched my own life, because I connected with his characters. So I lost something when he died. A lot of people did. His films enriched a lot of lives.
TIG wrote:Why are you even on the internet?

I'm a real person, rather than some fake, manufactured screen persona. Why show emotions for celluloid images and then turn cold for real people typing directly to you? Do you love fake more than real?

Is this because we as a media culture no longer have the means to be around real, live human beings? We can only love fakeness?

Bok wrote:His films enriched a lot of lives.

The media products he appeared in used emotional transfer to transform the audience into something suitably pliable for the military-industrial complex. Typically, his films explored the hellish pits of the alienated human soul, only to offer relief in the product placements we were all programmed to enjoy.

Of course, this paid liar knew and cared nothing about the overall effects of the crap he lent his faked emotions to. He only wanted the obscene amounts of cash and undeserved celebrity. Millions of Americans can act better than the recently departed.
Qatz wrote:Is this because we as a media culture no longer have the means to be around real, live human beings? We can only love fakeness?

As we're on the internet...

TIG wrote:we don't know each other, let alone our relatives. Our common reference points are famous people because otherwise we have nothing to discuss.

Verv, what is the message of the Christ? Of the N[…]

Are you saying you are unable to see any obvious […]

Right wingers and capitalists and free marketeers[…]

Indeed, and you know what? Even that isn't a reas[…]