The Secular Society - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Private discussion areas.
By Decky
What is it with "Comrade" Tim and trying to join groups when he does not meet the membership criteria?
By Decky
Catholicism is all about the robes and architecture and incense and the eternal struggle against the satantic protestant hordes, where the hell does god come into it? Anyway there is a long tradition of Catholics not bother much with the god side of things and then just rustling up a priest on their deathbed to sort everything out, my grandad hadn't been to mass since the 1970s and still got the sacrament of forgiveness and a proper funeral in one of our churches.
By ComradeTim
Don't forget being sodomised by a priest as a choirboy. An important rite of passage for young Papists, or so I'm told.
By Decky
everyone knows Catholics are all poor.

Are you kidding me?

Decky you in? We catholic atheists should stand together against the protestant hordes.

Sure if you like, as long as you don't let Tim in.
By Jim4120
I'd be interested in joining. My views on god have to be described as atheist, but in reality, I don't think anyone can say that they "really know" the answer to this question, so in that sense I'm agnostic about it. Basically, I don't think god exists, but I can't prove the nonexistence of a god, anymore than someone could prove the existence of a god.
By mikema63
Mikema63
Goldberk
Fuser
DrSteveBrule
Decky
Jim4120
lexington

I don't know if it would have a lot of discussion though unless we made an effort.

If we don't the club quietly passes away, so there isn't much downside in trying.
ComradeTim wrote:Says the "Catholic" who doesn't believe in God.

Perhaps you've heard of France...

There is an extremely strong secular Catholic tradition. Hell, an extremely strong atheist-Catholic tradition. It's what I was born into as well.

I am an atheist. I work, at one job, at a church. I have plenty to say about religion from the inside out. I'm not sure how it would come to be a conversation, but it's stuff I won't say in polite company for fear of upsetting individuals.
By Strata
I am an atheist. I work, at one job, at a church. I have plenty to say about religion from the inside out. I'm not sure how it would come to be a conversation, but it's stuff I won't say in polite company for fear of upsetting individuals.
Wtf you do in a church then?
I have a side-job there. Everyone that works there, actually, is an atheist (aside from the clergy, of course).

We are actually prohibited from using the church, including the clergy, for anything spiritual.

The staff at most churches I know tend to be atheist. That might be because of the area of the world I'm in, but also because you have to be willing to work on Sundays and have absolutely no illusions about what you'll be doing there.

I don't really want to say more outside the group...
By mikema63
Mikema63
Goldberk
Fuser
DrSteveBrule
Decky
Jim4120
lexington
TiG
TCR

That leaves us at 9, one more and we can start the club.
Last edited by mikema63 on 24 Jan 2015 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm wrote:The unperson who proposed the club has never existed. But they were not the leader of the club, as they were not a PoFo supporter.

The rules have been updated.

mikema63 wrote:That leaves us at 7, one more and we can start the club.

You meant 9. Give me 10 Hail Marys, and five Our Fathers... sinner.

Liberia is not indistinguishable from other Afric[…]

Taiwan-China crisis.

I don't put all the blame on Taiwan. I've said 10[…]

“Whenever the government provides opportunities a[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Afghanistan defeated the USSR, we are not talking[…]