Reaching Luna - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Zagadka
I've heard the explanation a while ago, but I've since forgotten (reformatted my brain)

They say it will take longer to reach the moon now than it did in 1969... which is like, WTF. Please explain why. A freaking video game is more complex than the 1969 computing systems.
By Boondock Saint
I'm not nearly as smart as most of the PoFo users but last I recall, the orbit of the moon around the earth is alot like the orbit of the earth around the sun. It's not a perfect circle (half assed attempt at being tool) so just because today it's x distance doesn't mean tomorrow it will be x distance.
By MB.
It's not a perfect circle (half assed attempt at being tool)

Fucking win.

:rockon:
By Zagadka
I'm not nearly as smart as most of the PoFo users but last I recall, the orbit of the moon around the earth is alot like the orbit of the earth around the sun. It's not a perfect circle (half assed attempt at being tool) so just because today it's x distance doesn't mean tomorrow it will be x distance.

Hm, possibility, but with today's technology and more powerful rockets and ISS and crap, I'm sure they could make up for it. I mean, they can land a robot within a small square on fucking Mars, they can launch an artillery shelll 18 miles and hit within feet of the target...

Bleh. This is bugging me ;-)
By Thunderhawk
but with today's technology and more powerful rockets

Efficient, yes.
More powerfull.. maybe not.

Saturn Vs are a dead breed. I suspect the USA does not have a Rocket large enough to send all that cargo to the moon. - Mars landers are alot lighter then a manned mission to the moon, and the Mars run using a gravity assist off the moon anyways.
By Zagadka
Good point, TH. Thanks.

So, would you consider Russian or even Chinese rockets closer to bearing that kind of load until we build a new one?

Wait, weren't we building one by duct taping 4 Saturns together?
By Thunderhawk
Soviets had Energia rockets, but they are 'somewhat' dead. Modern Zenit rockets can probably be modified for strapping together and an upper launch vehicle can be made. Its probably the quickest means to create heavy lift vehicle again.

.. of note, Russia leads the way in efficient rocket design.

LOL are you kidding me? They have no right to ap[…]

Putin is "literally stealing" Russia's 3[…]

It is deeply ironic that you bring up the people […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023