NHL 2011-2012 season - Page 11 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Nets
Two power plays in OT, but the Flyers couldn't capitalize.

A nice win for NJ.
By R_G
Don't know what's going on with Jersey.

This might be a very weird playoffs in the East if it's Jersey vs. New York in another Conference Final.

Meanwhile congrats to the Kings for their 2nd ever West Final appearance.
Brio wrote:*twung, twing twang*

Is that Demosthenes tuning his banjo I hear?

*wipes tears from banjo*

*starts looking up sheet music*

*puts ketchup in Nets' hair gel*
By R_G
The Flyers better not fuck me.

Only team I have money on.

That said looks like I'm guaranteed at least 4 points in the pool.
By Nets
Just for Demos

[youtube]1tqxzWdKKu8[/youtube]

;)

Guidos ftw.
By Brio
All that talk of the Flyers "buzzing" and being the best team left in the East has angered the hockey gods. Demos, I think you might have to do something drastic to get them back on Philly's side...
Apparently the Coyotes won't be making the journey to Quebec this year. The Coyotes are going to be sold to the former owner of the San Jose Sharks and the team will remain in Glendale. The Coyotes have lost millions each season since they relocated from Winnipeg to Glendale. They have never been profitable. Winning a Stanley Cup isn't going to pull them out of the annual 25 million in losses. The Columbus Blue Jackets have the second largest losses in the NHL at 13.7 million. The Blue Jackets are bar none the worst team in the league, having only made the playoffs once in their existence and getting shut out in the first round. Yet still the Coyotes, a playoff team, have almost twice the losses of the Blue Jackets. The Jobing.com Arena is vacant during the regular season. Not a soul in Arizona gives a shit about hockey, and winning the cup will do little to change that.

Bettman has no penchant for business.
By R_G
To touch up on that Sam.

The annual losses the last 3 seasons have hovered around 40 Mill, this including the 2 and 3 playoff games hosted in the previous two playoffs.

The team was indeed semi-profitable in the late 90s but became a sure burden especially after the lock-out.

Bettman has indeed been a misleading figure. The overall profits of the league have increased significantly at a consistent rate since the 1995 season that saw the first NHL lock-out. However those profits have come not out of genius but out of volume.

The NHL began allowing advertisements on boards. With this came better TV deals and expanded arena profits. Jerseys also became a bigger revenue generator. May be hard to believe but not too long ago people going to NHL games didn't wear jerseys or hats. In the mid 80s for example all you have to do is look up archive games, it'll be a game to spot fans with jerseys as they were the minority.

So Gary Bettman is certainly not a genius. He's a freaking lawyer who's never played a hockey game in his life. In the mid 90s he simply wanted to expand the NHL from 4th league status and he's failed.
R_G wrote:The team was indeed semi-profitable in the late 90s but became a sure burden especially after the lock-out.

The team has been in the red ever since it moved to Arizona. The Phoenix Coyotes have never had a profitable season.
By Brio
Demosthenes wrote:Bah, If they win you have to play me three tunes on your Accordion, if they lose I play you three tunes on my God forsaken banjo! There! :lol:

So Demos, I'm going to request you play three songs in relation to how the series went chronologically.

The series started with this of course and hopes were high in the City of Brotherly Love:

[youtube]sRMtXUgVp0c[/youtube]

Then, tied 1-1, the series went back to New Jersey where this could be heard throughout the arena:

[youtube]_Co4oTl87Yk[/youtube]

I know it isn't a song (although I thought you would enjoy The Life and Times of Tim clip), but I'd like you to provide some nice twangy background music to the "Suck it Philly" chant.

Finally, they traveled back to Philadelphia, where yes, history was made:

[youtube]1MH01o6_LME[/youtube]

I must say this feels really good. I hope the tears don't cloud your eyes so much that you can't banjo up a storm on these three songs.
By Godstud
Hiphopbunnyhop wrote:Sorry, but wasn't the expansion to America required because the Canadian dollar went through a phase of worthlessness?
No. Teams simply paid their players in US dollars. Do you actually know anything about hockey or are you just making shit up?
By R_G
Captain Sam wrote:The team has been in the red ever since it moved to Arizona. The Phoenix Coyotes have never had a profitable season.

Attendance Figures

This while they hosted 3, 3 and 4 playoff games.

I am certain they made at least minimal profit in one of those seasons.

And I'm talking on a single season basis, not including their expansion fee which I'm not sure they paid or not but the number are there to provide they did have minimal success in those first few seasons.
Brio wrote:So Demos, I'm going to request you play three songs in relation to how the series went chronologically.

*plays the stupid songs*

Adding in the "Tim" clip was a good touch, but you're still a butthole for that! :lol:

I should have known better. I should have known better. I should have known better. The Flyers are just conservatives, what can I say? :hmm:

Godstud wrote:No. Teams simply paid their players in US dollars. Do you actually know anything about hockey or are you just making shit up?

Now come on, I heard Canadian teams were either paid in pesos or in the stretched skin of black men shaped into coins! Tell us the truth, we can see through your Canadian lies!
Godstud wrote:No. Teams simply paid their players in US dollars. Do you actually know anything about hockey or are you just making shit up?

Right, and this was problematic because the exchange rate for Canadian Monopoly Moneys for American dollars was about a trillion Canadian Monopoly Moneys for 1 USD.

link
By R_G
hip hop bunny hop wrote:
Right, and this was problematic because the exchange rate for Canadian Monopoly Moneys for American dollars was about a trillion Canadian Monopoly Moneys for 1 USD.

link

Link

The article stipulates the Canadian dollar has risen more than 50%.

The lowest the Canadian dollar was to the U.S. was roughly 61 cents ( known this for like 8 years now ) in the past 30 years.

I do believe it went up as high as 1.06 but that's it.

This is different from, say, your pro-Palestine p[…]

Race is a myth. Since there are no races, varia[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

French President Emmanuel Macron announced that U[…]

Dunno, when I hear him speak, the vibe I get from[…]