World Cup 2014 Final Draw - Page 51 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Maas
noemon wrote:He is the sole reason that Argentina made it to the final

The heck it is.
As I recall. Belgium was passing the ball around in the back. They made an error with that. Some Argentinian picked up that ball and scored. And after that, they just were all hanging back to make it impossible for Belgium to score. And Messie was unable to do jack vs The Netherlands ending up with penalties and he was unable to do jack vs Germany. So he really is not the reason why Argentina made it to the finals. It took being lucky that Belgium made a huge error and a penalty shout out.

when he has at all times 2 players guarding him without having the ball

That is no novelty for any striker at all.

Germany were worthy winners of the tournament, but the final was not very exciting to watch. I'd rather have seen that 7-1 win in the final.

It's a typical final where neither side want's to loose, and so they focus on that part.
This is not for the fans that see them play every other week at the home game, that like galary play.

[youtube]o58LUPuDfJQ[/youtube]

Theme song (Dotan from the Netherlands and Milow from Belgium)
Last edited by Maas on 14 Jul 2014 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
The MLS is trying to capitalize on the World Cup, but I doubt many people watched it last night

The MLS is growing, nothing for them to worry about at the moment.
Maas wrote:As I recall. Belgium was passing the ball around in the back. They made an error with that. Some Argentinian picked up that ball and scored. And after that, they just were all hanging back to make it impossible for Belgium to score. And Messie was unable to do jack vs The Netherlands ending up with penalties and he was unable to do jack vs Germany. So he really is not the reason why Argentina made it to the finals. It took being lucky that Belgium made a huge error and a penalty shout out.

You are not putting into context the fact that the Argentinian team is crap. And that whatever they've done has always come from either a Messi assist, a Messi goal or a Messi playmaker.

That is no novelty for any striker at all.

If you watch the games and focus on Messi and the other forwards, you will see that he is the best out of all of them. He can cause more damage than any other and defenders focus on Messi a lot more than they do on other forwards. There is always a swarm around Messi, whether he plays with Germany or with Belgium.
By Maas
noemon wrote:You are not putting into context the fact that the Argentinian team is crap.

Oh.. lets put it in context.
Argentina has players from, lets name a few: Monaco, Napoli 2x, manchester 2x, Real Madrid, Barcelona 2x, Paris SG, Lazio, Boca Jn.

part of the Dutch team vs Brasil:
Cillessen: goalie, was still playing against semi amatures this season
De Vrij: Feyenoord
Vlaar: Aston Villa
Blind: Ajax
Wijnaldum: PSV
Clasie: Feyenoord
De Guzman: Swansea

7 out of 11 Dutchmen play for clubs that are a joke compared to 11 players from Argentina.
And those 7 played and won from Brasil. Most also played vs Argentina.

noemon wrote:And that whatever they've done has always come from either a Messi assist, a Messi goal or a Messi playmaker.

1/4 finals:
As I recall. Belgium was passing the ball around in the back. They made an error with that. Some Argentinian picked up that ball and scored. And after that, they just were all hanging back to make it impossible for Belgium to score.
1/2 finals:
Messie was unable to do jack vs The Netherlands ending up with penalties
finals:
Messie was unable to do jack vs Germany.

^^
No assist, no goal, no playmaking.

There is always a swarm around Messi, whether he plays with Germany or with Belgium.

Same with a lot of other strikers.
noemon wrote:You are not putting into context the fact that the Argentinian team is crap. And that whatever they've done has always come from either a Messi assist, a Messi goal or a Messi playmaker.

Indeed, Argentina was Messi: The Team during the first phase at least.

The rest of the team actually improved over time, unlike Brazil.
Maas wrote:Argentina has players from, lets name a few: Monaco, Napoli 2x, manchester 2x, Real Madrid, Barcelona 2x, Paris SG, Lazio, Boca Jn.

Irrelevant to the fact that the Argentinian team is crap.

Maas wrote:No assist, no goal, no playmaking.

False.

False again. If you do what I told you and observe that you will see it.

wat0n wrote:The rest of the team actually improved over time, unlike Brazil.

Indeed.
By Maas
noemon wrote:Irrelevant to the fact that the Argentinian team is crap.

On paper, the country got a very good team. That the team preforms poorly, is also the fault of Messi inability to make them play well. In contrast of say, Robben (together with Kuijt) who isn't the team captain, but he does make the team speeches to motivate the team, while Van Gaal keeps quiet.

Maas wrote:No assist, no goal, no playmaking.

False.

I listed how Argentina progressed. And Messi wasn't responsible for it.
The only thing that is false, is your unfounded claim that he is responsible for it.

False again.

The Dutch team defended with 5 players, so there always was a 2 defenders on 1 attacker situation.
And Argentina is no stranger to put 2 defenders on 1 attacker as well

fuser wrote:Argentina is Messi, I agree but still Messi is a bit overrated.

Indeed. He totally underachieved.
Last edited by Maas on 14 Jul 2014 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Claiming your tidbits are founded on something is ridiculous. A game does not depend on a single moment but on the overall performance. Messi does not shine because he gets swarmed more than anybody else. However he does manage to break the lines of the defence for others to attack despite the fact that his team is crap and despite the fact that he always gets swarmed.

For anyone who has played football in his lifetime, Messi is the best player in the world.

And clearly you are not, nor have ever been a person that even considers your interlocutors opinion and you are willing to turn this into yet another shouting contest. Carry on by yourself.
Germany have announced a limited edition stamp featuring the below portrait of Angela Merkel celebrating Germany's recent win at the World Cup has been commissioned for limited release.
Argentina played a very boring defensive and low-scoring game all tournament long. It was as if they were always playing for a draw, and hoping to find a weakness in the other team to score a lucky goal. Messi did NOT deserve any awards in the tournament, though he did score one beautiful goal he was not the best player in this World Cup. In the finals game, Messi and teammates had 5 glorious chances to score and they put it wide every time, not even a shot on goal the whole game. Offside goal was just that - offside.

Germany definitely deserved to win this event on all categories.
noemon wrote:Neuer already got the golden hand and Rodriguez the golden boot, besides objectively speaking Messi is better than Rodriguez, and the golden ball going to a goalie is a bit silly imo.

These awards aren't mutually exclusive, and it isn't fair to refrain from awarding the more prestigious golden ball to a player just because he received another award.

noemon wrote:Messi does not shine because he gets swarmed more than anybody else.

You can't give a player an award based on the fact that he's closed down more often than other players. He's the best player in the world, but he still needs to merit his awards. In this case, he didn't.

noemon wrote:However he does manage to break the lines of the defence for others to attack despite the fact that his team is crap and despite the fact that he always gets swarmed.

How is Argentina a "crap" team? Save for some subs, the entire squad plays for major European clubs. Besides, Mascherano played brilliantly, and had deserved the award more than Messi.
Saying Messi is overrated isn't to deny that he's a world class player; just that people go over the top with their praise a lot of the time. Personally, as much as he's a bit of a dickhead, I would rather have Cristiano Ronaldo in my team than Messi - if for no other reason than you can always be sure he'll put a mammoth effort in. Messi just seemed either lazy or burnt out yesterday. It's all very well running rings around Getafe, Iran and so on, but to merit the kind of adulation Messi gets, you need to do it in the really big matches. Thomas Muller (or even Bastian Schweinsteiger) would have been a more deserving winner of the Golden Ball award.

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]

The more time passes, the more instances of harass[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]