Death - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By anna
XogGyux wrote:Incorrect. Consciousness, by definition requires being awake and aware of the surroundings. That is why concussion is not the same as a contusion. That is whay LOC (Loss Of Consciousness) even exist in medical vocabulary, etc. Coma patients have brain activity (albeit abnormal).

Concussion is not the same as contusion because... they're not the same thing. As for the rest, you're pretty much agreeing with me. The brain is at work during various levels of consciousness until the brain ceases functioning, just as the heart is at work until it ceases functioning.
By XogGyux
anna wrote:As for the rest, you're pretty much agreeing with me.

No I am not. Refer to what I said earlier.
Care to define consciousness for me if your definition is other than what we can find in the dictionary?
By anna
XogGyux wrote:No I am not. Refer to what I said earlier.
Care to define consciousness for me if your definition is other than what we can find in the dictionary?

Short answer, consciousness is awareness, but it's far more complex than that, and that's the point I was making. I can quote at length from my neuropsychology or behavioral neuroscience texts but what I'm saying is that the brain is working at every stage of consciousness, including subconsciousness and unconsciousness. It's working automatically even without our awareness, and it's working with or without our active cooperation.
Last edited by anna on 01 Jan 2017 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
By MistyTiger
I thought about death and about giving up on life, suicide. I was very unhappy back then. I felt like a failure. My parents were worried about me and I would hear them talking about me in 2 languages. I just wanted them to stop the talking. Every word felt like a knife blade in my head. They really wanted more for me but I just did not know what to do with my life; I was lost. I was searching for a career and to define my identity.

What really stopped me from thinking thoughts about death was realizing that I had to be strong for my mother. She finds strength in me and if I died, I would really miss her. Also, she and I would fight and one day I realized that I was hurting her as much as myself for wallowing in sadness and failure. Every day is a day to be used for the pursuit of something worthwhile and positive. From that day on, I knew that I had to be stronger and more optimistic.

Reincarnation has always fascinated me since I learned about it in grade school. A part of me believes that if we are bad in this life, we return as a snake, doomed to crawl around in the dust until we are killed by an animal or human. If we are good in this life, we return as a swan or dove.
By One Degree
The whole world needs a bright person like you. there is a severe shortage. :cheers:
By MistyTiger
One Degree wrote:The whole world needs a bright person like you. there is a severe shortage. :cheers:

Thank you, One Degree! I try my best. :cheers:
By garrulousunlawful
I dont mind dying, I just dont want to be there when it happens! (Woody Allen) :lol:

I have always said that I am not scared of dying if it promises to be painless. however I proved myself very wrong.

A few years ago in a room with others I met the grim reaper. No one else could see him but me. Laid on a huge orange leather bean bag at my friends house I was looking at him across the room and he was pointing at me and whispering;
- " you are mine tonight, Im here especially for you tonight". I could read his lips! They pronounced each word perfectly and clearly.
He told me that it would be painless and it would be as soon as I fell asleep, he would then take me.
I was being abusive to him, I told him - "I wont sleep." I was trying of course to hide the fear that was running through the very fabric of me.
-"For how long?" he asked with an annoying smirk on his face.
He was very menacing, he was scaring me more than I was letting on to my self.

But of course that was the one and only time I took LSD, still to me it was real enough so that I would never again claim that I am not scared of dying :)

@FiveofSwords White Power... Every country in[…]

I question whether it provides an economic net […]

If people think Israel was acting in good faith b[…]

That's not how that works. Not every single perso[…]