Why not eliminate the Vice President of the USA job altogether? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
There has been a lot of talk about the invasion of humanity at the Southern Border of the United States and that Biden has made Vice President Kamala Harris a “border czar” to deal with the situation. Or not, or whatever. Supposedly I think she has been to the border once to look around and that was about it.

This isn’t a slight against Harris, but a civics lesson is in order about the powers of a Vice President. The only power that the Vice President has is to break ties in the Senate.

That’s it.

Because of this, almost anyone can do the job if they meet the Constitutional requirements for the job. Anyone. It’s a nothing job.

What I propose is to eliminate the position altogether. Any bill must have 51 votes to pass.

What I would do is to have the Secretary of State be next in line to the President. The Secretary of State already does about half the President’s overall job dealing with foreign matters. It’s a very “hands on” position which requires close work with the President. Foreign leaders the Secretary of State meets with will know that this person might be the next President.

Second, and news media says this sometimes which annoys me no end “The President is the Vice President’s boss.” No! That’s wrong. The President cannot tell the Vice President what to do or direct the Vice President to do anything. The President can choose to use the Vice President for informal duties or whatnot, but that’s about it. If the two don’t get along, then the Vice President can be dropped for someone else next election. FDR did this twice for example (and the last one that did).

I can’t stand Kamala Harris and hope Biden doesn’t die. But she can’t be remotely blamed for the Southern border. She doesn’t have any constitutional powers.
Taiwan-China crisis.

It's been 10 with Xi so far. :roll: I'd try talk[…]

This lawyer's "crime"? Merely being pres[…]

Why You'll Never Achieve the American Dream

It was the dream of millions of people who came f[…]

Then what is my argument? That cops disproporti[…]