Are political opinions based on reason or sentiment? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Are political opinions based on reason or sentiment?

1. They are necessarily based on reason
11%
2. They are necessarily based on sentiment
5%
3. They tend to be based on reason, but they may also be based on sentiment
37%
4. They tend to be based on sentiment, but they may also be based on reason
47%
Are political opinions based on reason or sentiment?

Three subquestions:

-If your answer was not number 2, name at least one political opinion that you hold which is based on reason rather than sentiment.

-If your answer was not number 1, name at least one political opinion that you[ hold which is based on sentiment rather than reason.

-If you can name an opinion that you hold which is based not on reason, but on sentiment, you are thereby acknowledging that it is irrational. How can you believe in it, if you acknowledge this? In other words, how can you believe in a proposition which you in effect acknowledge there to be no reason to suppose true?

But on the other hand if you can name at least one political opinion which you hold which you believe to be based on reason and not sentiment, you will have difficulty proving this.
Last edited by Ixa on 21 Jul 2004 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
By SpiderMonkey
My political opinions are based on reason (which explains why they are undefined and prone to change). Certainty requires sentiment, along with plenty of intellectual dishonesty.
By Ixa
SpiderMonkey wrote:My political opinions are based on reason (which explains why they are undefined and prone to change). Certainty requires sentiment, along with plenty of intellectual dishonesty.

Answer the subquestions then.
By Vivisekt
I voted for number four.

IXABERT wrote:If your answer was not number 2, name at least one political opinion that you hold which is based on reason rather than sentiment.

In a democracy, voting should be available to people only after they pass a competency test of some kind. When the people lead, they need to have at least some of the qualities of a sucessful leader or the country will operate far below its potential within that system - to the detriment of all. I have found that many people have no idea how to go about achieving the goals that they desire (amongst a plethora of other problems), and as such, they do not vote well.

This opinion stands only until I am presented with an argument that logically invalidates it, like all of my political opinions. And it is modified depending on the specific context to which it is applied for the purpose of debate.

Like spidermonkey, my political opinions are based on reason. Because of this, they change frequently as new information presents itsself - and I can also entertain conflicting points of view on the same topic simultaneously, so long as they are logical.

IXABERT wrote:If your answer was not number 1, name at least one political opinion that you[ hold which is based on sentiment rather than reason.

I can't think of any. I have plenty of opinions based on sentiment, but not within a political realm of thought. Politics are too important to discard reason, in my opinion.
By Ixa
Like spidermonkey, my political opinions are based on reason. Because of this, they change frequently as new information presents itsself - and I can also entertain conflicting points of view on the same topic simultaneously, so long as they are logical.

your political opinions are based on reason, i.e., you deduced them? from what? what are they?
By Vivisekt
IXABERT wrote:your political opinions are based on reason, i.e., you deduced them? from what? what are they?

Deducted from observation and or research. If there is a topic of political discussion which I know nothing about, I might use intuitive reasoning to formulate an opinion - just for the sake of argument - but I would never seriously consider advancing it in any real political arena.

That being said - if you're looking for a definitive ideological statement from me, I don't have one to give.
By Ixa
Vivisekt wrote:
IXABERT wrote:your political opinions are based on reason, i.e., you deduced them? from what? what are they?

Deducted from observation and or research. If there is a topic of political discussion which I know nothing about, I might use intuitive reasoning to formulate an opinion - just for the sake of argument - but I would never seriously consider advancing it in any real political arena.

but do not these opinions involve value judgements? your observations might indicate that requiring citizens to pass competency tests in order to vote would improve the voting results, but not whether this should be done. This is where sentiment comes into play. for the 'shoulds' are never deduced.
By Vivisekt
IXABERT wrote:but do not these opinions involve value judgements? your observations might indicate that requiring citizens to pass competency tests in order to vote would improve the voting results, but not whether this should be done.

I cite the ideology that is being catered to as what outlines what 'should' and 'should not' in many instances. If the result is in keeping with the general ideological aim of the democracy in question, then it 'should' be implemented as an enhancement to that system. If not, then it 'should not'.

For instance; as applied to the american ideological democratic republic and it's aims, this wouldn't be something that i would advocate. But as applied to a theoretical democratic state, it is something that i would advocate.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me what system is under examination. My political opinions are about the objective observation of, and the improvement of systems in logical accordance with their stated or implied purpose - if at all possible.

IXABERT wrote:for the 'shoulds' are never deduced.

Hence my almost complete detachment from actual activity in the political arena. I don't believe in the 'mission' of any existing government, nor do i believe in the 'correctness' of the 'mission' which my biases and interests would otherwise lead me to support.
By jaakko
Is this poll about the voter's own political opinions, or the political opinions in general in the current world, as the title more suggests?
By Ixa
Jaakko wrote:Is this poll about the voter's own political opinions, or the political opinions in general in the current world, as the title more suggests?

they are the same thing.
By jaakko
IXABERT wrote:they are the same thing.

They're not the same thing, because one's philosophical world-outlook fundamentally affects the methodology he uses to reach political conclusions, aswell as his self-awareness of these.
By Dark_Stalin
It depends on what is the political problem. A mentally distressed people need more understanding thorough sentiment, a totally "logical" thing like WWI is sheer reason.
By enLight
I selected number 4.

Most people tend to lean towards their political beliefs becasue they feel it's good and right. Working out the reasonable logic of their opinions is usually a secondary process.

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]