Who are your ideological heroes? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Suska
Carl Jung
Andy Warhol
Camille Paglia
ah christ i didn't realize you were so messed up Donald, sorry.
By Diligent
No political names here, but people who's opinions I respect:

Ray Kurzwiel
Richard Dawkins
Christopher Hitchens
Carl Sagan
By Joona
Vlad Tepes
Caligula
Nero
Robespierre
Marat
Napoleon
Henrik VIII
Mary Tudor
Adolf Hitler
Genghis Khan
Vladimir Lenin
Joseph Stalin
Pol Pot
Ivan IV
Czar Nicholas II
Kim Il Sung
Kim Jong Il
Mao Zedong
Hirohito
Timur Lenk
Nicolae Ceausescu
Saddam Hussein
Suharto
Pinochet
Attila The Hun

I might have forgotten a few, but I think that just about covers it...
By Cartertonian
Celtic Communism wrote:Good list Joona

:eh: ... :roll:

What an astonishing roll-call of scumbags.

What is heroic - ideologically or otherwise - about any one of these psychopaths?
By Diligent

My thoughts exactly. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
By Celtic Communism

What is heroic - ideologically or otherwise - about any one of these psychopaths?

Hitler was very heroic during the Battle of Britain. Rather than fleeing, which he had many opportunities to do so, he stayed at the command post for as long as possible, took responsibility, and then committed suicide at the right time (which is an old Indo-European tradition). Stalin did the near same thing at the Battle of Moscow. Churchill, on the other hand, by all accounts would have fled to Canada instead of dying a beautiful and heroic death. Saddam Hussein faced death and laughed - his executioners were too weak to show face to their President - and took his execution with honour and dignity. That was truely a beautiful death and a sign of heroism.

Most of the rest were warriors and conquerors, men of power and action, and undoubtedly committed many heroic deeds, too numerous to mention. They may have been psychopaths, but one seems to find psychopaths at the top of any society, especially in a heroic one.
By Diligent
There are many heroes in the history of the world. But most never felt compelled to commit genocide on a grand scale.
By Suska
Saddam Hussein faced death and laughed

I can see why you would think that... :lol:
By Celtic Communism
I take it you did not see his execution video? Come back and laugh when you honestly believe you could even half-match the dignity, strength and courage shown by Saddam there.
By Suska
Yeah, hiding in a hole is sooooo dignified
By Celtic Communism
Yeah, hiding in a hole is sooooo dignified

He should have killed himself after the fall of Baghdad, yes. But he more than made up for it with his execution. If you can not recognise this then there is something clearly wrong with you. You probably were too busy shouting "USA! USA!" at your television screen when they showed Saddam's heroic death and consequently missed his dignity and elegance.
By Suska
too busy shouting "USA! USA!" at your television screen
in fact I'm too busy doing that right this minute to hear your pathetic bleating
By Diligent
I take it you did not see his execution video? Come back and laugh when you honestly believe you could even half-match the dignity, strength and courage shown by Saddam there.

I'm sure many of his innocent victims also faced their own deaths with the same amount of dignity, strength, and courage -- only no one gives a shit about them.
By Negotiator
Well guess what, my main political idol is Mahatma Ghandi.

If it would be local politics, then Willy Brandt.
By Kman
Saddam's heroic death and consequently missed his dignity and elegance.

CC why are you calling a brutal dictator that exterminated political opponents regularly and practiced organized mass murder, heroic?

Do you find Hitler heroic also? because Saddam and Hitler did many of the same things. (nvm I just read the post you wrote on the previous page where you do actually call Hitler heroic).
By Shadow Dragon
I guess for me it would have to be Nietzsche. Though others that I greatly respect include LaVey, Gaius Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great and Socrates.
By FreeSocietyLeader
Mine would be Jesus. His philosophy has never failed in any aspect of politics I've concerned myself with.

Now for those of you that don't believe in "fairy tails,"

I'm a huge Shane Claiborne fan. He's written "The Irresistible Revolution," and one of the most influential books I've read: "Jesus For President."

Leslie Weatherhead's "Christian Agnostic" provides great insight for lost theists, helped spark my religious flame after high school.

After studying a lot of Confucianism during the Summer, I would also hold The Analects to be great reading on political righteousness.
By Negotiator
I do believe in these "fairy tales", but I do not thinnk that Jesus can be called a very good political instructor, because his teachings are very general and completely different political viewpoints may claim to agree with him.

For example, the early christians where the first people who practiced communism. Main reason why the church, in the beginning, didnt opposed communism much - after all, the bible downright demands it:
luke 18,22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

He also teched very general principles such as "dont do to others what others should not do to you" and "who rules should serve the ones he rules over", which certainly should be part of any just government.

Wrong, there are videos of burials done without an[…]

Well that[']s the thing.. he was wrong A paper, […]

What bill are you talking about?

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/178385974554[…]