Students protest at Israeli attack on Gaza - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talking about and organise marches, demonstrations, writing to your local Member of Parliament etc.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Students angered by Gaza revive sit-ins

* Alexandra Topping
* The Guardian, Saturday 14 February 2009

A new wave of student activism sparked by events in Gaza has seen dozens of university buildings occupied in Britain, with some of the UK's top educational establishments agreeing to set up scholarships for Palestinians or disinvest in arms companies linked to Israel.

Though the assault on the territory ended three weeks ago, lingering anger over the attack has prompted students to stage sit-ins at 21 universities, many organised via blogs, Facebook and text messages.

Students at Glasgow and Manchester are refusing to leave the buildings until their demands are met, after similar occupations at other universities provided tangible results in what is being seen as a new era of highly organised student activism.

Katan Alder, 22, one of 50 Manchester University protesters who have occupied a university building for nine days, said students were abandoning diplomatic tactics in favour of direct action.

"There is a new level of anger among students that we haven't seen before," he said. "There is definitely a new confidence among students who are beginning to realise that if they want to achieve anything simple negotiation won't work, our actions have to escalate."

Students at Goldsmiths, University of London, ended their occupation yesterday after their demand - two scholarships for students from Palestine's al-Quds university - was met. The students campaigned for a year without success, but their demands were met within 24 hours after they occupied Deptford town hall, which houses the university management offices, said James Heywood, 21.

"We were getting ignored and patronised, so when we saw what was happening at other universities we took direct action," he said.

Technology has played an integral part in the protests. Within minutes of starting the occupation students at Goldsmiths were blogging, and a recent protest that gathered 2,000 students was organised almost entirely by viral text messaging, said Heywood.

Student demands include a call to end all investments in arms companies that may trade with Israel, scholarships for Palestinian students and humanitarian assistance.

At King's College London, students gained scholarships and donations to institutions in Palestine.

A seven-day Cambridge University occupation, which saw students denied access to food before being threatened with a court injunction on 1 February, achieved little in the way of concessions.

But last week 60 academics at the university sent an open letter to the vice-chancellor deploring the "heavy-handed" tactics used to crush the protest and supporting the students' calls for disinvestment from the arms industry and scholarships for Palestinian students.

Prof Priyamvada Gopal, one of its signatories, said: "It was only when the students became galvanised that we looked at writing a group letter from the academics following the lead of the students."

She believes the movement is the first signs of a new political awareness. "As yet this is a small but vocal minority, but I think we are seeing an emergence from the froth and apathy of the 1990s."

source

I was really struck by the last sentence:

"As yet this is a small but vocal minority, but I think we are seeing an emergence from the froth and apathy of the 1990s."

I have felt for a long time that the 90's were a lost decade. The 90's generation seemed to have little interest in much beyond shopping and trying to be famous. 'Frothy' is exactly the word I would use. I'm encouraged that there might be a mood for taking a more direct approach to fixing the world's wrongs. There were student protests in Greece recently, which seems to suggest an awakening to the possibilities of protest there, as well. Or am I just being too optimistic? Does this generation have any enthusiasm for fixing the stuff that previous generations have neglected?
By xtc
I have felt for a long time that the 90's were a lost decade. The 90's generation seemed to have little interest in much beyond shopping and trying to be famous.

The main change in attidude since then is thanks to the expansion of Internet WWW and affordability of computers. Second opinion alternative views/news from around the world were missing. Most western governments propagandized their citizens to foward their own agenda.
By DDave3
As a student at the University of Manchester I'll link to our student rag:

Manchester's Student Direct wrote:University Under Occupation

By Susannah Birkwood

More than 150 students staged a sit-in protest outside the University Vice-Chancellor’s office last week to demand a stronger and more proactive position from the University on the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

The students proposed a set of demands to Alan Gilbert, the University’s Vice-Chancellor, who addressed the group directly upon arriving in the building to attend a meeting.

In what seemed like a large-scale version of last semester’s UMSU Q&A session with the Vice-Chancellor, enraged students fired questions at Gilbert and made their terms clear. The demands included a boycott of Israeli goods on campus, support for a day of fundraising with proceeds to the DEC fund, and an end to University research into manufacturing arms – without which they refused to leave the building.

Gilbert appeared unfazed by the anger of many of the protesters, many of whom were members of UMSU society Action Palestine. He offered a response to each of the group’s demands, but stressed that he did not have the authority to make immediate decisions without consultation with his advisers and further consideration.

Read more

I think, however, Sloop!, that it is very important to carefully analysis these students protests. Some of the views expressed by these protestors are nothing but thinly-disguised anti semitism and bigotry. They may rage against hatred, ignorance and violence but they display all these traits themselves at times.
By sploop!
That's possible I guess. I went to college late, as a mature student, in the 80s. Computers were in their infancy, the Internet hadn't been invented, and Thatcher was busy dismantling the UK. But there was a real mood of protest around at the time. We protested the US attacks on Libya, Apartheid South Africa, Israel, and the removal of student grants. Then, the mobile phone was invented and the rise of the Yuppie started in earnest. It all unravelled from there as we went into the 90s. Maybe it was the propaganda machine, but it really looked like self-interest.

Ddave3 - I think you are right to be suspicious of the motivation of the protesters, and I'm out of the loop, so have no idea one way or the other, but I wonder how much of the anti-Semitism is fuelled by the hopelessness of the last, well, it's almost 20 years, not 10, and by the way Israel has been able to trample all over the middle East? It's still anti-Semitism, and it's wrong, but it is at least understandable. People whose views are ignored tend to become more extreme until they are listened to. I'd be hesitant to believe that the case against Israel is caused by anti-Semitism, after all Israel has been behaving in a monstrous fashion for ages...
By Oxymoron
:lol: Wow the youngins found out that ScapeGoating Jews is an easy form of protest, as Sloop continuely points out.
By QatzelOk
Wow the youngins found out that ScapeGoating Jews is an easy form of protest, as Sloop continuely points out.

Today's youngins are finding out that "scapegoating the Jews" is a meme that is used to defend Jewish entitlement and Israeli war crimes against the locals they herded into concentration camps.

This is very different from the 90s when mainstream commercial media had a monopoly on memes.
By Cheesecake_Marmalade
So, Qatz: still slowly circling the crazy drain I see. :lol:

Like Oxy pointed out, blaiming teh j00z for everything is just a full circle for college kids. Now that they have their lord and savior in the white house, they can continue to cut ties with the ethnicity that will be employing them at their cushy lawyer/financing/whatever jobs for the rest of their life.
By sploop!
Like Oxy pointed out, blaiming teh j00z for everything is just a full circle for college kids.

Those sound like the embittered words of someone who isn't quite bright enough for college...
By Sephardi
They're just idiots looking for a cause.
By sploop!
Last two replies appear to be idiocy masquerading as content. Get a grip, guys!
By Red Star
Here's the bit in the local student newspaper about the occupation here:

Students barricade Bodleian
Over eighty students barricaded themselves in the Bodleian library on Thursday to protest against Israel's recent action in Gaza.

The demonstration started at midday in the Clarendon building, and lasted until the protesters felt their demands had been met six hours later.

Minutes after the beginning of the protest, security began to block the main entrances to the building, but demonstrators then began to enter the building by climbing through the windows.

At ten to one, police entered the building and led away Omar Alshehabi, President of the University Arabic Society, from the railings at the front of the hall.

Alshehabi was warned that the group were committing an aggravated trespass. Police requested that he inform those inside that there was a possibility they could be arrested.

On hearing the police's message relayed, one of the protesters inside shouted to spectators that the police "can't arrest all of us!"

Alshehabi commented that the police were simply "trying to give us a threat, they are trying to get us out as soon as possible" and maintained that the group would stay as long as necessary.

He said, "we are here and we are going to stay here, we are going to stay until our demands are met."

After a series of negotiations between protesters and senior proctors, the Gaza supporters finally agreed to leave the Clarendon Building .

The group, composed of members of Oxford Palestinian, Indian and Pakistani Societies and others, were demanding that the University release a statement condemning the attacks in Gaza, as well as ceasing investment in any companies that provide arms to Israel.

They aimed to pressurise the University into providing scholarship for five Gazan students to study at Oxford, as well as providing resources to help rebuild the University of Gaza. They also want an end to the lecture series run from Balliol that were controversially inaugurated by Shimon Peres, the President of Israel, last term.

Aisha Mizra, one of the protesters, said, "we decided to halt the protest because we felt completely satisfied with the outcome."
She said that the senior proctor had given satisfactory responses to all their demands.

The University has agreed to publicly condemn civilian deaths in Gaza, and hold a transparent investigation into allegations that the University holds shares in the arms dealer BAE systems.

The Proctor dismissed demands to cancel the lecture series inaugurated by Shimon Peres, saying that it was a college, not a university issue. He, however, expressed support for offering five scholarships to Gazan students who are unable to study in their own country due to the conflict.

She also said that protesters had escaped severe punishment by the University. Each student taking part in the protest would be fined £20, but no marks would be made on their academic record.

Protesters started to leave the building at 6:30, after which they marched to Balliol College and chanted outside to demonstrate their continued opposition to the Shimon Peres lecture series.

One member of staff in the Admissions Office, who found herself "in the midst of it all" once the protest began stated that the protest was "wonderful and for a good cause...the last occupation we had here was in the 1960's."

Within the building the Clarendon building the mood remained buoyant. A local Lebanese restaurant offered to pass food in to the protesters, while students passed around biscuits and drink.

The students in the hall formed a human chain and chanted, "in our thousands, in our millions, we are all Palestinians. Stop the killing stop the crime: Israel out of Palestine."

Cries of "Free, Free Palestine" were heard throughout the afternoon, whilst a member of the group shouted through a megaphone, "we are here for the Palestinians and the Israelis who have been killed. This is a peaceful demonstration."

Cherwell

I think the demands weren't really that overtly anti-Israeli, at least the ones that the occupiers felt they could actually achieve (scholarships for Palestinian students; help to the Gaza University): of course, you can argue that this only means that the addition of demands such as "Condemning the attack on Gaza" was for show and publicity, rather than conviction.

I talked with a few of the occupiers when the occupation happened (I didn't take part, but was outside as there was another part of the protest in front of the building) - most were condemning both the Hamas and Israeli state actions. However, the whole thing was organised by the local Stop the War chapter, so the demands had a more anti-Israeli slant. I would have liked the occupiers to have explicitly made it clear that the condemnation was aimed at both the leaderships.
By Political Interest
Wow, useful idiots protest! Very impressive.

According to you Zionists it seems anyone who supports any cause is a 'useful idiot', even your own. Look at the words of your Netanyahu who called the Neo-Conservatives the same thing.
By Ontiphishtim
According to you Zionists it seems anyone who supports any cause is a 'useful idiot', even your own. Look at the words of your Netanyahu who called the Neo-Conservatives the same thing.

The repeated illusion of only one, monolotic type of Zionists which you seem to believe in reflects your abillity to discuss the Zionists, and it isn't a very impressive abillity.
By QatzelOk
...your abillity to discuss the Zionists, and it isn't a very impressive abillity...

I'm not sure if I want to impress Zionists with my "ability to discuss them."

Should I even try?

Were the Israeli Zionists trying to "impress" the unfortunate Gazans with "their ability to bomb them?" I realize Israel has also shown an incredible ability to "discuss" the Palestinians. At least, once they got used to the idea that the rest of the world wasn't likely to forget they even existed, which is what previous Zionist spin was trying to get the world to do.

"There is no such thing as a Palestinian."

As opposed to, "There is no such thing as an Israeli."

Imagine being made to believe your "nation" is just a fabricated military construct.
By Cheesecake_Marmalade
Um, was Hamas trying to "impress" Israel by "breaking the ceasefire"? :lol:
By Dave
Wow, what fucking losers

I bet these protesters were all humanities students :lol:

Definition of the American Dream: https://www.[…]

US Presidential election 2024 thread.

The funniest thing is that RFK Jr. is in play as a[…]

Taiwan-China crisis.

It's been 10 with Xi so far. :roll: I'd try talk[…]

This lawyer's "crime"? Merely being pres[…]