Windows 7 professional for free... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

...if you're a computer degree student of some sort that is. Just pick your institution and log in. MSDN academic alliance is the shit. Will install tomorrow in dual partition on my vista machine. When windows 7 drivers improve I'll rid myself of vista.
By Igor Antunov
Ok having spent some time with windows 7, I don't see what the big fuss is. I've partitioned my hard disk 3-ways and installed windows xp, vista and windows 7. Took me about 2 hours to get my wireless internet working on win7 because it did not support the drivers that came with the wireless adapter. Still rough around the edges in terms of drivers, and performance in games is identical to vista.

The only positive over vista is the slightly improved interface, and even that has seen minimal changes. Will stick with windows vista simply because all my shit is installed on there and I don't see any advantages of significance in win7 to bother migrating permanently. In fact things like dreamscene are missing in win7, I like my dynamic backgrounds thankyouverymuch.

Since I have never in my life paid for a single operating system I don't play fanboy favourites. I go with what is most immediately accessible. Vista fits the bill for now with it's superior driver support over win7. Win 7 is a work in progress. Come service pack 2 I will migrate for good. For now I'll keep switching between the 3 depending on what task I need accomplished most well, running my older games in xp, running my newest games in vista, and doing uni work and browsing the internet on win7.
By Oblisk
You should give me an extra W7 Ultimate key.
By Zerogouki
Free? Yeah, I can get ass-raped for free too, but that doesn't mean I'll go for it. I wouldn't install Vista or 7 on my machine even if you paid me.
By Oblisk
Free? Yeah, I can get ass-raped for free too, but that doesn't mean I'll go for it. I wouldn't install Vista or 7 on my machine even if you paid me.

This coming from somebody who doesn't know how an operating system or Windows works.
By The Clockwork Rat
Ubuntu is also free. Ubuntu is also better. Other than for some really spanking new games, XP also services fine as a minority partition for playing computer games.

Being a student with limited funds I find the efficient file system of Ubuntu a huge bonus. You can fill it up to the last few MB without any noticeable slowdown, and you never have to defrag!
By Igor Antunov
Big deal, defraging takes minutes on my pimp machine and I do it once a year. Plus windows continuously defrags your shit when you leave your computer on and go off and do something else.

Linux distros in general are great except for the fact that they have no sense of finish to them, you're always majorly updating the fuckers, and also they have horrible software compatibility, like OSX.
By The Clockwork Rat
Hmph. Ubuntu 9.04 looks great. Got a nice background with semi-transparent taskbars. There are a ridiculous number of effects and animations to do with windows and desktops, all fully customisable of course. It doesn't update any more than windows and asks before downloading. Did I mention multiple desktops? Multiple desktops built in.

Compatibility sucks with various windows programs, I know, but most of those have got a free counterpart, other than games, for which you can try WINE. I still have XP for those annoying last few programs that refuse to work.

Defrag requires at least 10% of your hard drive to be empty. Not having to defrag means another 12GB (on my 120GB HD) to store music and films on.

Did I forget to mention fucking multiple fucking desktops? Fuck getting another monitor, get multiple fucking desktops BITCH!
By Igor Antunov
Fuck getting another monitor, get multiple fucking desktops BITCH!

I have that in windows xp, vista, win7 :roll:

It's called ATI Hydravision and it came with my video card. I can have as many desktops as I like and just switch between them, even divide them up and give them a certain amount of monitor real-estate. It gets messy quickly and is generally not my cup of tea. One desktop is enough, maybe 2, but I have a 2nd monitor attached anyway.

Whatever Linux has, windows has the equivalent + much more. Remember that. And in this golden age of piracy, everything is free.
By Zagadka
Did I forget to mention fucking multiple fucking desktops? Fuck getting another monitor, get multiple fucking desktops BITCH!

Windows does that... it also spans multiple monitors automatically. What's the point of having multiple desktops without multiple monitors? That's basically just minimizing windows. 2 monitors > 4 desktops by a longshot.
By Noelnada
I have Windows 7 theme on my windows xp
By War Angel
Other than Direct X 10\11, what does Windows Vista and Windows 7 offer, that Windows XP doesn't have?

Operating systems should be simple, plain and stable, but most importantly - work with everything. This is where Macintosh and Linux fail miserably.

Would be boring without it though. Also how is[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Do you think US soldiers would conduct such suici[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 29, Monday Empire’s air training scheme ta[…]

BRICS will fail

Americans so desperate for a Cold War 2.0 they inv[…]