Rate your personal happiness level - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
So, I was thinking to myself, how would I rate my overall happiness on a scale of 1 to 10? I'm not talking about my current mood, but rather my overall average happiness throughout the course of my life.

I feel my rating is about 7.9/10.

As of right now, my current rating is probably right about at this level. I have been through times where I was a 0, and times where I was a 10. After considering all of my different experiences I tried to create an average of them all.

Think about what you would rate yourself. If you are currently in a great mood, you might want to subtract a few points, since your average happiness rating is probably lower than what you currently are. Likewise, if you currently feel like shit, add a few points to your rating to come up with an average rating.

Although I only am an average of 7.9, I feel that it is bound to increase by a lot in my later years in life, starting rather soon
3/10. When I was a child I suppose my overall happiness level were fairly average. Materially my family wasn't doing so bad at that time but I've never been laid back or easy going. However, much of the last 10 years especially a period of about 1-5 years ago I was experiencing intense depression and psychological torment which included suicidal tendencies. It's actually someone surprising to me that I've survived that period at all considering how close I was to...well I'm not going into all the details of that here for obvious reasons, but I was really close to dying. That state was due to a confluence of problems, including material/financial doom, social issues and an intense existential crisis. I still haven't really recovered from that but I've had some slight improvement of late which has helped give me some hope and I don't think about suicide as much, but I'm still very aware that I'm not out of it yet completely and worry about relapse into those times. I'm still rarely happy and if I am it is only for brief moments.

I actually reached a point where my depression and torment was a so bad that it seemingly collapsed in on it self - I had failed to actually kill myself due to my self-preservation instinct overriding my conscious desire to kill myself. I may not have succeeded in offing myself but I lost a part of myself emotionally in there as well. I cannot feel love for instance anymore and I cannot remember the last time I genuinely loved anything. Not another person, certainly not myself nor much else in the world. I've given up on happiness for the most part. But I do feel hate, in fact my hatred and ambition are among the few things that get me out of bed. In absence of any sort of positive emotions I've had to fall back on those things and my accord with a certain "force" that I made in my darkest moments of depression to even keep myself going. That was all I had left.

While I'm more than ready to blame myself for a lot of this (I certainly have no lack of self-loathing) I have deep loathing for modern liberalism for much of this. It's conceptions of society, social atomism, lies, financial system, false consciousness and banal ideology has left me feeling extremely empty and unfulfilled in life. This has led me to state where so much has been stripped from me and combined with my overall personality and life goals to leave me where I currently am.
?/10 -> 2/10

My happiness exists in an unresolved quantum state where if I'm not reflecting on my life, I'm actually pretty okay with my life, but once I start that dreadful introspection business it all goes into the shitter. A life unexamined is a lot more fun.
Currently about 3/10. I'm going through a period of anxiety, inadequacy and depression, and feeling stuck partly due to family circumstances, but mostly because it's a vicious cycle that's hard to get out of. Being currently directionless really sucks.

Three years ago today, I would have rated myself at a 7 or 8, but I've been in slow and steady decline since then. My level of happiness really fluctuates from season to season and year to year based on life circumstances, and I'm still better than my all time low back in high school.
While I'm more than ready to blame myself for a lot of this (I certainly have no lack of self-loathing) I have deep loathing for modern liberalism for much of this. It's conceptions of society, social atomism, lies, financial system, false consciousness and banal ideology has left me feeling extremely empty and unfulfilled in life. This has led me to state where so much has been stripped from me and combined with my overall personality and life goals to leave me where I currently am.

I think you're spot on here, I know from personal experience and the experience of loved ones how much depression stemming from this can harm our lives, not to mention the damage done from the over medicalistaion of depression.
Varax wrote:While I'm more than ready to blame myself for a lot of this (I certainly have no lack of self-loathing) I have deep loathing for modern liberalism for much of this. It's conceptions of society, social atomism, lies, financial system, false consciousness and banal ideology has left me feeling extremely empty and unfulfilled in life. This has led me to state where so much has been stripped from me and combined with my overall personality and life goals to leave me where I currently am.

Hence why you should embrace conservatism. In the West, everyone is free to give their own lives meaning; yet almost no one has meaning in their lives. Post-scarcity and transhumanism won't save you from the emptiness that has engulfed you.
^Nonsense. Egalitarianism is the anathema of civilisation. If equality existed there would be no incentive to improve and standards would slip accordingly.

Walt Disney has a lot to answer for. People brought up on that shit can't bear to live in the world as it is. They assume that if life isn't perfect, by their standards, it must be completely worthless. They live for the hope that their perfect world might one day exist and for nothing else. Previous generations understood that life is characterised by struggle and hardship.
Dagoth Ur wrote:Yeah it's not like there was a Soviet Union, or unions at all, or 8 hour work days, but yeah Communists don't do anything ever. inb4 THE PAST DOESN'T COUNT

Communists in developed countries are nothing but fedora wearing hispters who want to stay at home and jerk off rather than work for a living. After the disaster that was the Soviet Union, anyone with any sense has abandoned communism.

And you said Walt Disney, not Disney.

Point taken, i meant the brand/company.
11/10

When I was very young, I went though a severe depression after my mother died. I climbed out of that step by step, and today, I feel utterly invincible. It's also left me with, I think, a unique perspective on life.

Here's a taste of how I feel moment to moment:

[youtube]kUzkEPW5IGA[/youtube]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]