"Moses" - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
By Zagadka
I guess I'm looking to hear more from you theistic Hebrew Jews, and again I ask this from curiosity and because it randomly crossed my mind.

To my understanding, "Moses" was not so much a name as a suffix in ancient Egypt - specifically, "-mose" meaning "son of", sometimes attached to a person's name (I suppose as a patronymic as in Russian).

The logical process is, of course, being orphaned and adopted, he dropped the Egyptian name when g*d began leading him.

But why keep "Moses"? I suppose it could be keeping the "son of" as in "son of g*d"...

But looking at the Exodus from a secular analytical viewpoint, perhaps the use of "son of" would fit into the metaphorical view (that Exodus was mostly metaphoric, not historic) would mean that the tribe of Israel would be the son of g*d... as I understand that in ancient Israel, it was understood/expressed that all (I suppose theistic) men were "sons of g*d" (something I heard questioning Jesus's declaration).

As such, the travel from Israel through the desert to the land of Israel would be, metaphorically, the path of those who follow g*d to holiness...? Egypt being the repression or state of static moral inertia, the 40 years being the struggle throguh life to maintain morality, the pillar and smoke being g*d's commandments (considering that is where it leads) guiding, and Israel being, basically, enlightenment (as Christians would say, glory next to the seat of God after Judgment)...?

This is a very simplistic understanding of what I mean, and I don't know much about the Hebrew translations, which is why I'm posting this. Is this an interpretation completely ridiculous and off-base, or (even if heretical) a possible understanding of the story?

It just seems strange that he kept going by "Moses".
By Zagadka
I've also learned that the same -mose suffix translates as "draws out of", which was usually meant as "son of" for obvious reasons... but Moses indeed drew the Israelis out of Egypt... that would be a simple explanation for later generations to use the name "Moses"...
By Paradigm
There is a similar curiosity in the New Testament with the apostle Thomas. "Thomas" was not a formal name among Jews. Rather, it meant "twin." Some have speculated that this meant that he looked similar to Jesus. They also suggest that it is referring to a disciple named Judas, who they wanted to differentiate from the other Judas, for obvious reasons.
By Todd D.
Not to mention Barabbas, who's full name appears as "Jesus Barabbas" in some of the early manuscripts. "Bar Abbas" means "Son of the Father", indicating something entirely different than the story we're used to.
By Bosnjak
I belive the story is truth, probably he was educated in the egyptian mental power.
By dudekebm
There is an interesting theory that Moses was actually a priest of Akhenaten's revolutionary monotheistic religion, and that the religion of the Israelites was largely influenced by it.

From what little I've read, there's a lot of debate over the chronology of when the Israelites were in Egypt and when the actual exodus began, so it's heard to say whether Akhenaten was an influence since he seems to be on the later end of when the exodus could have began. If it had begun before his reign, it could have been the other way around where the monotheistic Israelites had an influence on Akhenaten.
By Bosnjak
There is an interesting theory that Moses was actually a priest of Akhenaten's revolutionary monotheistic religion, and that the religion of the Israelites was largely influenced by it

Historicaly could this be corrrect, Echnaton was a short time of monotheism in Egypt. After his death there was a destruction of his buildings and writings. Moses or Musa took also the slaves with in freedom, probably more of Echnatons priests followed also because there was an Inquisition against them.

The definition was at this time the loyalitiy to a leader, Spartacus spoke also about his "People".
By Potemkin
I've also learned that the same -mose suffix translates as "draws out of", which was usually meant as "son of" for obvious reasons... but Moses indeed drew the Israelis out of Egypt... that would be a simple explanation for later generations to use the name "Moses"...

And the child grew, and she brought him unto Pharaoh's daughter, and he became her son. And she called his name Moses: and she said, Because I drew him out of the water.

- Exodus 2:10
By Oxymoron
Exodus 2:10

There are always double or triple meanings in the Bible.
By Potemkin
The Bible is very clear in this passage: she named him 'Moses' (meaning 'to draw out of') specifically because she drew him out of the water. That seems pretty unambiguous to me.
By Bosnjak
Was his historical correct name Musa or Moses?
By Nets
Probably Moshe, because the Torah predates the English Bible (Moses) and the Koran (Musa).
By Potemkin
What was the Egyptian form of Moshe?
By Okonkwo
Potemkin wrote:What was the Egyptian form of Moshe?

Egyptian/Latin: Moyses
Hebrew: מֹשֶׁה, Moshe
Tiberian: Mōšeh
Greek: Mωϋσῆς
Arabic: موسىٰ, Mūsa
Ge'ez: ሙሴ, Musse

There were however several names for Moses, he was called Avi Gedor, Avi Soco, Avi Zanoah, Heber, Jekuthiel, Shamaiah ben Nethanel, Jered, Toviah, Levi, Heman, Mechoqeiq, Ehl Gav Ish.
There is some dispute about his name in the scientific community, some even say that his name is Egyptian in nature, deriving from 'mose' meaning "son of", as in "Thutmose" = son of Toth or "Ramses" = son of Rah. It is believed that he (or late Hebrew scholars) later dropped the Egyptian prefix to assimilate into Hebrew culture.
Then there is also the Islamic tradition, they say that his name comes from the Egyptian words for water and tree, referring to his arrival at the Pharao's palace, but that is just the usual Muslim unscientific nonsense.
By Potemkin
His historically accurate name was therefore probably Moyses, since he was named by an Egyptian princess.
By Okonkwo
Potemkin wrote:His historically accurate name was therefore probably Moyses, since he was named by an Egyptian princess.

Well, as I mentioned before, there is still the very probably possibility of him actually having had an Egyptian name with the suffix -mose.
However, 'historically accurate' itself may be the wrong term, seeing as how the historical core beneath the Exodus and the Jewish traditions is yet to be found. The person Moses itself is a riddle, there is no surviving record of any of the Biblical Exodus stories or any of its characters, there is not even any physical evidence for Moses' very existence.
By Nets
Due to the controversial historicity of Moses, the earliest actual reference to him in text would have to be in the Hebrew.
By Potemkin
In fact, the story of his early life is clearly legendary - it echoes in almost every detail the legends about the early life of Sargon of Akkad, founder of the first multi-ethnic empire in history. He was said to have been abandoned in a basket on a river as an infant. One of the daughters of the Akkadian king found him and pulled him out of the river, and he was adopted into the Akkadian royal family. The Israelites probably heard this story during their Babylonian exile, and incorporated it into their sacred scriptures as the mythic origin of their greatest prophet.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

For China is Russia the only big ally they have...[…]

Imagine how delighted you will be when the Circus[…]

BRICS will fail

Americans so desperate for a Cold War 2.0 they inv[…]

They do not have equality of opportunity compared […]