US senators see aid to Israel staying firm despite cuts - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
US senators see aid to Israel staying firm despite cuts

Talks about a new military aid package are underway. Current package of $3 billion a year, that expires in 2017, is likely to be similar.

Reuters

The United States will continue providing Israel with defense aid after a current package providing it $3 billion a year expires in 2017, and the grants are unlikely to wane despite Washington belt-tightening, two US senators said on Thursday.
Kelly Ayotte and Joe Donnelly, who are members of the Senate Armed Services Committee, visited Israel to confer on security issues like missile defense, on which the allies have partnered.

The previous US administration signed a 10-year deal with Israel in 2007 granting it $30 billion, most of which must be spent on American defence products.
Talks on a new package were already under way, said Ayotte, a New Hampshire Republican.

"Obviously the final negotiations have not been worked out but I do not expect that our commitment and work with Israel will diminish," she told Reuters.

Politically popular US aid to close ally Israel has held steady despite cuts to a wide range of other programs, including reducing the size of the US army to its lowest level since before World War Two and shrinking spending in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq.
Donnelly, a Democrat from Indiana, noted Israel's rare stability in a turbulent Middle East.

"I think there is understanding among the people across our country about the value of the relationship with Israel, not only just personal and friendship-wise, but also the importance of having Israel as an ally in this region," he said.

"And so I think that the people of our country feel that every dollar spent on this is worth it, is well spent."

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 46,00.html

America shows once again an unwavering support for Israel. Note that most of the aid package will stay in the US because it is used to buy military stuff.

"And so I think that the people of our country feel that every dollar spent on this is worth it, is well spent." said the senator.
The doom sayers had it wrong I'm afraid. Tic-toc-toc-tic-tac
Beren wrote:Saudi Arabia Finances Israel’s Build-Up Against Iran

I see a reference to a blog and when I click it, there is an empty page on that web site.
Even the article pasted by Noir is full of "ifs and maybes and coulds and most probablies".

I think it is not impossible that Saudi Arabia spends money to organise actions against Iran but I cannot believe that this happens through Israel.

Anyway it is not relevant to this thread because I only wanted to show America's unwavering support of Israel.
Ter wrote:I think it is not impossible that Saudi Arabia spends money to organise actions against Iran but I cannot believe that this happens through Israel.

Anyway it is not relevant to this thread because I only wanted to show America's unwavering support of Israel.

If there is an unwavering American support for Israel, then how is it so hard for you to believe that Israel is on Saudi Arabia's payroll too?

Israel is basically a huge and complex military enterprise with well-defined capabilities and purposes, which anybody can employ for money. For a lot of money, I mean.
Because Saudi Arabia in one of the worst antisemitic theocracies in the world.
Every visitor needed to have proof that they were not of Jewish descent (I don't know if they still practice that)
So, as I said, it possible that certain objectives of both countries coincide but that does not mean that they would cosy up to one another.

Beren wrote:Israel is basically a huge and complex military enterprise with well-defined capabilities and purposes, which anybody can employ for money. For a lot of money, I mean.

That is wrong, unsubstantiated and biased claptrap blabber.
Beren wrote:Well, I can't really see the Saudis opposing Israel effectively, neither can I see them effectively supporting the Palestinian case. However, they effectively oppose Iran, a really anti-Zionist state.
If Iran put military pressure on Kuwait, Iraq and Saudi Arabia I would not be surprised to see unmarked Israeli Aircraft operating from remote Saudi and Kuwaiti airbases while conducting deep interdiction strikes in concert with the previously mentioned Arab states. If Israel ever needed to align itself with a Muslim state that would be a Sunni state. The Palestinians do not factor into this at all as they are reviled by just about everyone in the region...they are unimportant.
Lets not get too far with Saudia:
Saudia boycott Israel and Jews for 70 years now.

There is only a strategic cooporation against another imperialistic state here.
Second, the USA bought Saudian regime, yet this very regime cooporates the Wahabi religious institute which is anti american and anti semetic.. and the regime itself supporting both Americans and anti-American actions.

Lets not get too far with the cooporation with the Saudis..

About buying allys - the Russians and the Chineese are buying allys too.. be it direct aid to Ukraine they offered.. or just massive investments and "deals".. So America does that too. And Brits did that too before them- investing in territories and supporting their regimes and building armies they wanted..
well,
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/u-s-support-for-israel-is-decreasing-new-poll-shows-1.308855

Soon...

Today the US government feels they have to publicly declare their support because its now becoming a question.
Tomorrow?
The numbers say that soon the electorate will not accept this for much longer.

So ya..."Tic-toc-toc-tic-tac"

I understand the Israelis have now cut off fuel for power generation to Gaza.
That'll enrage the Arabs further, and turn many more against Israel.

"Tic-toc-toc-tic-tac"
Buzz62 wrote:http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/u-s-support-for-israel-is-decreasing-new-poll-shows-1.308855

Soon...

Today the US government feels they have to publicly declare their support because its now becoming a question.
Tomorrow?
The numbers say that soon the electorate will not accept this for much longer.

So ya..."Tic-toc-toc-tic-tac"

I understand the Israelis have now cut off fuel for power generation to Gaza.
That'll enrage the Arabs further, and turn many more against Israel.

"Tic-toc-toc-tic-tac"

The same outdated poll you always post to make these claims, do I have to bother posting the updated series or not?
Two contentious issues have brought the close relationship of the United States and Israel under scrutiny and have contributed to some tension in the relationship. One is Israel's continued building of settlements on Palestinian land, despite the illegality under international law and the objection of U.S. politicians. Another issue has been the Israeli lobby in the US which has been criticized for advocating Israel's interests within the American political system, even if they are contrary or might harm U.S. national interests.

http://usforeignpolicy.about.com/od/countryprofi3/p/usisraelprofile.htm
Hmmm...
Hagel has been accused of having "views [that] verged on anti-Semitic" due to his stating in a 2006 interview with Aaron David Miller that "[t]he Jewish lobby intimidates a lot of people [on Capitol Hill]",[114] and "I’m not an Israeli senator. I’m a United States senator."[115] Hagel later clarified these remarks saying he was referring to the Israel lobby.[116] Hagel also has been criticized by the American Jewish Committee for an incident in 1999 where he was the only senator not to sign an open letter to Russian President Boris Yeltsin threatening to cut aid to Russia if it did not take action against rising anti-Semitism in the country.[117] However, Hagel's refusal to sign the letter was consistent with his policy of never signing letters to foreign heads of state. Hagel, instead, wrote to Bill Clinton on this issue, saying "Anti-Semitism or any form of religious persecution should never be tolerated."[118]

Hagel was criticized by The Christian Science Monitor and many Republicans, including senators like John McCain, for opposition to some sanctions against Iran, and for calling for direct negotiations with both Iran and with the Palestinian militant group Hamas, which both the U.S. and Israel refuse to engage directly.[119][120][121][122]

Some of Hagel's policy positions became the subject of heated debate in the Senate, including support of defense cuts, opposition to preemptive action against Iran, and support of talks with Hamas and Hezbollah. However, U.S. News and World Report cited public opinion polls and foreign policy experts to suggest that Hagel's views were within the mainstream of American foreign policy thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Hagel#Criticism_of_the_nomination
Hmmm...
Despite insistent protests by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, supported by both Democrats and Republicans in Congress, US President Barack Obama and his government are persisting in negotiations with Iran. Obama has the backing of a US majority unwilling to start another war in the Near East - and has at least half the American Jewish public behind him.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/829575.shtml#.UzQOz86mCB9
Hmmm...

Open objections to Israels methods.
Hagel and Obama having reservations about more wars in the Middle east...especially in Iran.
I remember Ron Paul stating that, if elected president, he'd re-evaluate aid to all countries...including Israel.
And AIPAC is being questioned.
John Judis has a very good piece up at Foreign Policy called “Zionist Movement: How AIPAC is severing its historical roots — and weakening its influence,” on the decline of AIPAC’s power. He says AIPAC, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, is losing influence because it chose to side with the Israeli rightwing government over its roots in the American Jewish community. So when the American Jewish community divided over Israel, as it has in recent years, AIPAC was left on a rightwing ice floe.

Judis’s argument involves the historical concerns about dual loyalty, raised lately by AIPAC sticking with a rightwing Israeli government as it pushed for war on Iran.

http://mondoweiss.net/2014/03/influence-politics-government.html

People are openly questioning this relationship.
Soon, they'll demand to know why billions are being gifted to Israel. Many already are.
The idea of going to another war in the Middle East is not currently palatable to the US population.
Should Israel find itself in a war in the near future, there will be major resistance to getting involved.

The questions grow as do the numbers.
Unconditional support is no longer a guarantee.
AIPAC is losing its effectiveness.
Even the American Jewish community is questioning this relationship and AIPAC.

I'd say...there's an issue of waning support for Israel.
Soon it won't just be some Republican cannon fodder like Paul raising questions, it'll be major candidates.

And the clock ticks...
There is nothing all too new really, Israeli governments (particularly right-wing ones) have in fact clashed with several American administrations in the past, and with the American Jewish communities as well. Or am I to assume that the reassessment memo during Gerald Ford's administration, the whole approach of the Carter administration to Israeli-Egyptian negotiations which both sides resented, the clash with the Reagan administration over the arms sales to Saudi Arabia, the tensions with Bush I over settlement building in the early 90s and the squabbling between Clinton and Netanyahu over the peace process in the second half of the '90s simply did not happen?

... @FiveofSwords is so dumb it would go over hi[…]

It is still the mainstream opinion of mainstream […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just h[…]

Quiz for 'educated' historians

Now...because I personally have read actual prima[…]