Balanced Job Complexes - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The 'no government' movement.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Julian
Although I do not regard myself as an anarchist I am interested in how society might create balanced job complexes.

The idea of balanced work complexes is that workers would select jobs which contain a mix of routine work, managerial work and care work. It has been tried in radical bookstores and co-operatives but it has not been tried more widely.

Personally I think that jobs should be classified according to their content and workers should be asked to deliver a job with perhaps three different types of work. So they might deliver post in the morning (manual and routine), attend committee meetings in the afternoon (managerial) and attend three scheduled clean ups a week (manual). Each of these would be logged by work secretaries who would be responsible for monitoring labour and capital use.

In principle some work may still pay better than other work. However if so, the remuneration available to a worker from one piece of work would be paid into his personal account and would only be accessible when as he completed all three of his work elements.

As to work secretaries. A work secretary like everyone else would be someone doing other jobs at different times. The work secretary would not be a manager in a company - they would be a public employee whose job would be to ensure fairness. They would need to find ways of auditing work rather than being on hand to supervise it. Work Secretaries may also handle cases of illness and disability or remote working where formal work divisions cannot be maintained.

Any thoughts.

So you think the WFP is lying. Why would they li[…]

It’s already an undeveloped country, @Rancid . […]

Since @Pants-of-dog is unable to actually addres[…]

So basically you don't believe it would be possib[…]