Adelaide - Darwin railway - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
Central Australian rail link 'realisation of a dream'
The first train to travel on the new Adelaide to Darwin railway begins its journey this morning, leaving the South Australian capital at 11.15 (ACDT).

South Australian Premier Mike Rann says today's journey marks the realisation of a dream of former premier Tom Price, in 1907.

"He had this deal in mind," Mr Rann said.

"He went to Alfred Deakin, the prime minister and said, 'I'll give you the territory if you build us a railway'.

"Well, the Territory was handed over, but the railway was only half built.

"So this is something that people have talked about, an act of nation building for nearly a century.

"[It's] the north-sound link that we've always wanted. It's finally become a reality."

Another former premier, John Olsen, signed the contract for the construction of the railway.

He says he once doubted the line would ever be built.

"When the contracts were signed and the finances were put in place, I was then confident it would proceed," he said.

"But up to that point, there were several occasions in the last 18 months of negotiations where I thought that we had almost reached a dead end.

"But I guess perseverance pays."

Freightlink CEO Bruce McGowan says it is a historic occasion for South Australia and the Northern Territory.

"All sorts of industries, I think, will benefit from the new railway," he said.

Not everyone shares the same enthusiasm.

Shipping Australia chief executive officer Llew Russell says in the short-to-medium term, the line will not be economically viable.

"In terms of promoting it as a major land bridge opportunity in Australia, we feel that importers/exporters would prefer direct shipping services," he said.

Northern Territory Chief Minister Clare Martin says her Government will monitor the impact of the new line on central Australia's trucking industry.

"One of the reasons that we put $3 million just before Christmas into road maintenance in the central Australian area was to assist those businesses who would be directly impacted by the rail," she said.

"We're continuing to work in the central Australian area, to look at the impact."

The first passenger service leaves next month.

From : http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia/sa ... 025691.htm

:D :) 8) I think this is GREAT ! I've been on the train as
far as Alice Springs. I'd like to go as far as Darwin then to
East Timor. It'd be cool.
By Efrem Da King
OOOOOOOOHHH a train to east timor. Now that is a dream worth fighting for.
By unbalanced zealot
No actually a train to darwin then a flight to e timor
(or bali)

I reckon a train on huge pilons across the tasman would be great.
a direct overland link between auckland and sydney.
By Efrem Da King
a direct overland link between auckland and sydney.

..................NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
By Jon
If you're going to say something Efrem, please make it substantial.
By Efrem Da King
I did say something substantial, not that you'd understand pommy boy.
By Jon
Ok, bye then.
By Thin Spirits
The city i live in got a lot of money making the line. So we're a little disappointed now its over.

I live about 40kms out of Port Augusta, which is a major stop for the line, and I know what it means for the city. I also drove over the first freight train on its way to Darwin, it looked kinda cool.

The trains about a k long, too. I'd love to go on it one day, considering it goes straight through my state and stomping gorunds (Flinders Ranges etc)

The state of Israel is not a continuation of th[…]

I don't quite understand what you're asking me, n[…]

Ukraine's national debt has about doubled since th[…]

Turkey should accept them, they have money and ar[…]