Australia Post - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
By colliric
Is it just me, or is this company going down the same well worn path to privatization that the Commonwealth Bank and Telstra took all those years ago?

I think "so long as they don't start charging us to receive postage....".
By mum
Good. Finally let Aus Post compete with all the other freight companies. I wonder if when/if it is privatised it will still retain the monopoly status on mail.
I guess that depends on which ministers have their stake in the new privately owned Aus Post.
Australia is still getting past the issues with the Telstra monopoly on the copper network, every year it gets better though as ISPs come up with new ways to make the copper redundant (until that nightmare NBN happened, different though..)
By colliric
I see more potential similarities with the Comm Bank privatisation rather than the Telstra one. Will probably remain a major company rather than go through all the fuss Telstra eventually did.

The government can't sell off everything, but I guess the time is right for Aus Post given the number crunching going on at Budget 2014...

I hope they sell off the ABC next... Let Aunty sink or swim.... I'm surprised they haven't privatised it already.
By mum
absolutely! While they are at it it would be nice if the deregulated the media. That's not going to happen though considering the additional media gags etc that have been going on... Bastards.

The ABC is loved deeply by all the young left fools in this country, and most others. To most people it is the "balanced and unbiased" channel. They pretend to be and I can see why people believe that. It's a shame it is not true though.

Either way taxpayers should not be funding a TV station
By Rejn
Ha! The young left don't watch the ABC - they watch SBS. The ABC is for the old left and young centrist hipsters who like watching Q&A.
By mum
you might be right there
By colliric
Rejn wrote:Ha! The young left don't watch the ABC - they watch SBS. The ABC is for the old left and young centrist hipsters who like watching Q&A.

The young left don't watch SBS.... They watch SBS 3 and if there's nothing on that they'll watch ABC 2 or old reruns of The Chasers War on Everything on Seven Mate.

SBS is STILL mostly watched by European Latte Sippers(yes mostly left, but not always young), Australians who secretly wish they were born in France, "Football" fans, fans of Mythbusters(most of which are right-wing and love seeing shit blown up, to whom SBS is effectively the "New Mythbusters Channel" and 7mate is the "repeat Mythbusters Channel") and the odd Korean or Chinese person catching a late movie.

@Unthinking Majority I agree that the proteste[…]

A nation is a race In what language are these w[…]

Terrorist strategy is not to defeat an enemy with[…]

I agree with this message. Here's another one t[…]