Australia: Mallaproportionment/Gerrymandering - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
Noticed how, probably because of Australia's British links, Australian State Parliaments did alot of mallaproportionment/gerrymandering.

Especially in Queensland, Western Aust. and New South Wales.

Atleast, until recently.

The Country Party(now National Party) is the biggest perpetraitor of this offence against fairness.

Mallaprotionment is the deliberate drqawing of electorate borders to make some electorates smaller in voter population, than others. This is usually done in Australia to make rural/country electorates smaller, and theoreticly, more represented in Parl.

And, in my view, to cynically increase likelyhood of Country Party candidacy wins.

This is unfair! For me, it must be based on population. Electorates must have the exact same number of voters. 'One Vote, one value'.

The founders of Australia's Constitution obviously intended for maximum fairness for making the electorates of the House of Reps to be based on population.

I do understand the deliberate fixed and same number of Senators for each State and Territory. Though, I oppose it.

What's your views? Do you accept mallaproportionment?

Do you agree that the Country Party favours it because they benefit from it?
By Bricktop
Yes that is what he is/was (he is basically a vegetable now) famous for.

But it is done everywhere else, by many politicians and political parties.
And it defeats the purpose of a true democracy. Cant stand it.

Drummond

^ this is the continuation of the pre-1948 conflic[…]

I remember the days just before the invasion star[…]

I never said otherwise, perhaps you have difficul[…]

Turkey should accept them, they have money and ar[…]