I Reject, I Affirm. ''Raising the Black Flag'' in an Age of Devilry. - Page 91 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
#15309171
wat0n wrote:Indeed, that story of Pompey's conquest of Jerusalem is a good way to put it. But it's different when it is you who experiences it, it's not something that can be verbally expressed easily.

Different people experience the same thing in different ways. It’s all part of the rich tapestry of life. :)

Of course, this likely says more about the individual than the place, although the electric atmosphere is something I've heard others say about Jerusalem. And of course there's those who just lose it completely.

Indeed…



:excited:
#15309173
Tainari88 wrote:@Verv wrote:



That is where one questions the sincerity of some of these so called Born Again Christians. They say they have stopped and asked for forgiveness after they repent. But do they really stop?

Mostly they are just charlatans in my opinion. False prophets. Fakes.

They live off of the offerings of the Church membership.

I find them total and absolute morally bankrupt liars and unrepentant frauds.

Anyone attached to wealth at all is questionable in their supposedly Christian beliefs.


Yeah it is really bad to encourage this but I will honor the concept of baptizing an adult who has repented but then it raelly is like... My word, you have to nail it now, you are an adult..!

There is a different ceremony that is rather obscure in Orthodoxy for adults returning to the faith - I have never seen it but heard a Priest say that it should be re-instituted again.

Let me also say...

... I am proud of Christians who practice good, absolute, total forgiveness, and truly understand that man can be born again through repentance... There are various quotes about how confession is the 'baptism of tears,' which is necessary...

I am in a very conservaitve church in a very conservative country and I have only found that my tattoos down to my wrists have give me unwanted attention only in the opposite way - no one has ever made me feel unwelcome but, to the contrary, people have wanted to celebrate me more..!

The Church lives for the story of the prodigal son - which is exactly right.

In the Bible Saints Paul and Peter are highlighted for their sins, and the story of the adulteress who was going to be stoned, and the Samaritan woman at the well who had divorced so many men and was on her seventh or eigthth husband... These were all VERY poignant illustrations of how Christ championed not just women, but unfaithful women in a state of sexual sin, -- a dick would point out that this is "sexist" for focusing on women, but real historical context would teach us that Christ was truly scandalizing everyone by affirming that these fallen women can be fully restored through repentance, to be treated as full equals of all of us who are sinners and can't cast stones...

Which also is why St. Mary of Egypt is one of the most powerful, annual stories that pierces to the heart...

... In this there is the ultimate liberalism, you could say...

But there is also the affirmation of a conservatism: repent, sin no more...

The liberalism affirms conservatism, and the conservatism now comes to be the guardian of liberalism as we can get to the creation of stuffy, unchanging Canon law that "Yes, when the sinner confesses and repents, it is completely washed away & forgiven, never to be held against them again..."

Christianity is about taking the sword from the hand of the Conservative and putting it into the hand of the Liberal, then commanding the Liberal to do the Conservative's bidding, but always in his own liberal way.
#15309175
Potemkin wrote:@Rich is struggling with his demons, @Tainari88. He is highly intelligent, but has a bee in his bonnet about Christianity, due to his upbringing - he’s reacting against dogmatic, moralistic and irrational religious fanaticism. And he is right to do so. But he seems to have allowed it to skew his understanding of religion in general, and the possibility of seeing human life in the light of eternity, the possibility of human beings relating to each other in a sacred community united by a shared faith in a transcendent God. He has only contempt for the Christian communion of the saints, or the Islamic Ummah. His heart is closed. The ultimate purpose of any religion, of any form of spirituality or mysticism, is to break open our hearts.

You could say that I'm a Buddhist believer that chooses life. I don't believe in Buddhist metaphysics. I don't believe in absolute property ownership. Without a system of absolute property ownership there can be no an absolute morality. In that sense you could say I'm a Marxist. Marxism says that not killing a man is no great moral achievement if you deny him the land and resources to make a living. In that I strongly agree with the Marxists. Without a system of absolute morality then the Buddhist system of Karma is nonsensical.

Without a system of absolute morality, then the whole cosmic drama of Jesus Christ sacrificing himself for the sins of humankind also makes no sense. However i do believe in the fundamental idea of Buddhism that life, desire and suffering are inextricably linked together. That desire all desire, even the noblest desires lead to suffering. I believe that life and suffering are inextricably bound together. So what is the orthodox Buddhist solution? Suicide and humanicide. Traditional Buddishm believes that every human being on the planet should commit themselves to the path of suicide. However because of the Buddhist metaphysics, they believe that ordinary suicide won't work. The Buddhist metaphysic teaches that ordinary suicide is a sin which leads to bad karma and rebirth. So Buddhism teaches that in order to truly commit suicide one must enter a bizarre path of purification over many life times.

The Mahayana Buddhism is a big con. It says we believe in the Buddhist path of humanicide, we believe that every human being and quite a lot of the animals need to commit suicide through this bizarre process of purification over many life times. However we're oh so compassionate that we're going to hang around, helping others on this path of a suicide. The Mahayanan chooses life over suicide, but pretends that he is doing it out of an over sized sense of compassion. Mahayana Buddhism creates an egotism that puts Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin in the shade. Makes their aspirations look rather modest. We see the Mahayanan con on a small scale with Gandhi. Gandhi liked to have naked massages with thirteen year old girls. He did this not out of lust, not for pleasure, but as scientific experiments.

So I'm a Buddhist who chooses life, but without the ridiculous dishonest egoic self aggrandizement of the Mahayanans and Mahatma Gandhi.
#15309237
@Rich you probably won't answer me at all. I do not care. The truth is that last line that @Potemkin wrote directed to you? Is the most important.

The ultimate purpose of any religion, of any form of spirituality or mysticism, is to break open our hearts.


You either trust your heart or you do not. If you do not? It all becomes some mental exercise and it excludes emotional transformation.

For me? You have misjudged me completely or you are fearful. Either way, you failed to understand one damn about what I am about.

So? It is useless to interact with you.

You will never acknowledge making a mistake. That is emotional immaturity right there.
#15309560
@Tainari88 , @Godstud @Rich , @Verv , @Potemkin , and other readers:

A lot to unpack, been lurking a bit but also observing a bit of personal reserve and reflection, especially during this Great Lent in a time of my own grief. Which also encompasses recent events like in Moscow, etc ...

We are all each and every one of us, interconnected, and so even well before the internet and the expansion of what Vernadsky called the " Noosphere".

Life and Love strive against Death and Darkness, Sin and Chaos. An act of kindness may ripple effect to shake a kingdom, or it's opposite.

But considered in it's totality, the forces at the apex of modern life and the sinful structures at it's foundation cannot themselves resist the more elemental darkness which strives ever to fulfill its entropic mission.

It's like when John Cantacuzene and his oligarchy brought over the Turks from Anatolia to the Balkans to aid him in his civil war against the Paleologi: I'm sure that he thought only of the immediate tactical advantage of having strong Turkish allies help him win, not the aftermath of allowing the Turks to have a European foothold that would doom the Second Rome a century later at Turkish hands.

Those who use a group like ISIS for their own ends are similar fools to such as those. Deceived and deceiving .

Nobody ever seems to learn, collectively speaking. That little battlefield within the human heart , those personal corners of darkness that we don't eradicate with God's help , it adds up to what it means in the social sphere. The sorting out of the Sheep and the Goats. Division starts in this life.

I feel therefore my own personal responsibility, as knowledge without responsibility and action is pretty useless. Of course we can't see all the ends of things ourselves though, not entirely. But the rule of thumb rests with Love, ultimately love of God.
#15309564
@annatar1914 do not despair.

Again, el amor puede con todo.

It is Good Friday in Mexico. Viernes Santo. No one is working. The streets are quiet.

And it is a gorgeous day.

I hope you have a good day and think about love and forgiveness Annatar.

You know that saying, that says, to sin is to be human, but to forgive is divine. That is quite true.

One has to forgive people who offend us all the time. I think it is because not forgiving them is worse for us than it is for them. Those who offend many times do not know they have caused pain. Rarely are they very self-aware anyway.

So we gain a lot by forgiving. That way we are not trapped by the pain they cause us eh?

Freedom. A great way to live our lives.
#15309726
Tainari88 wrote:@annatar1914 do not despair.

Again, el amor puede con todo.

It is Good Friday in Mexico. Viernes Santo. No one is working. The streets are quiet.

And it is a gorgeous day.

I hope you have a good day and think about love and forgiveness Annatar.

You know that saying, that says, to sin is to be human, but to forgive is divine. That is quite true.

One has to forgive people who offend us all the time. I think it is because not forgiving them is worse for us than it is for them. Those who offend many times do not know they have caused pain. Rarely are they very self-aware anyway.

So we gain a lot by forgiving. That way we are not trapped by the pain they cause us eh?

Freedom. A great way to live our lives.


@Tainari88, and by extension @Potemkin and @Verv :

Thank you for your post!

I am not in an " existential" despair, but something else which is hard to describe, although I have tried in a couple conversations with @Verv .

It's really about Time, and our/my perception of Time. You might say that I'm under a kind of spell, like I'm in a movie by Andrei Tarkovsky or a Latin American novel in the " Magical Realism" genre.

Different cultures and persons can perceive the ebb and flow of life and death differently, although Modernity suppresses this in people under it's sway pretty well. But with me it's an even greater dichotomy than that between the modern and the natural. Again, hard to explain, like someone on their own timeline slightly out of phase with others.

It's similar in its spatial awareness effect, but not quite, to what would happen should an audience mistake a theatre production for something really happening in the real world. We know that the human brain can't process the difference very well on an unconscious level. This might help:

https://screenshakespeare.org/theory/fi ... nt%20space.

You probably feel a bit of this when you think about your life, and other lives in America compared to life elsewhere, yes? It doesn't seem very real for a number of reasons...

But while in this state of being of my own, I look out upon what I appear to see, and I'm seeing a reality where the modern world of events that " never happened" (as per Jean Baudrillaud and his comment that the first Gulf War ' never happened ') very much clashes now with the real world where events certainly do happen, and forces itself on the false, breaks through the false.

For me the last " event" that appears to have helped push me into this weird state of being was President Trump's surreal missile strikes on Syria in 2017. Again, hard to explain without getting too deeply personal, but I just haven't been the same in my awareness since that happened.

A personal symptom of the effects of hypernormalization, maybe , if you've seen that documentary. But maybe too it's not I that has been entirely sleepwalking under some spell... Can a whole society or world be placed in " theatre " conditions?

Perhaps in a way it has been a blessing, hard to say, but it's a bit unnerving to feel almost crazy and still go about my (current?) everyday existence.

Love and forgiveness is the only way I can survive, to break the spell if I can use that (metaphor, or not: what is magic anyway?).
#15311960
annatar1914 wrote:@Tainari88, and by extension @Potemkin and @Verv :

Thank you for your post!

I am not in an " existential" despair, but something else which is hard to describe, although I have tried in a couple conversations with @Verv .

It's really about Time, and our/my perception of Time. You might say that I'm under a kind of spell, like I'm in a movie by Andrei Tarkovsky or a Latin American novel in the " Magical Realism" genre.

Different cultures and persons can perceive the ebb and flow of life and death differently, although Modernity suppresses this in people under it's sway pretty well. But with me it's an even greater dichotomy than that between the modern and the natural. Again, hard to explain, like someone on their own timeline slightly out of phase with others.

It's similar in its spatial awareness effect, but not quite, to what would happen should an audience mistake a theatre production for something really happening in the real world. We know that the human brain can't process the difference very well on an unconscious level. This might help:

https://screenshakespeare.org/theory/fi ... nt%20space.

You probably feel a bit of this when you think about your life, and other lives in America compared to life elsewhere, yes? It doesn't seem very real for a number of reasons...

But while in this state of being of my own, I look out upon what I appear to see, and I'm seeing a reality where the modern world of events that " never happened" (as per Jean Baudrillaud and his comment that the first Gulf War ' never happened ') very much clashes now with the real world where events certainly do happen, and forces itself on the false, breaks through the false.

For me the last " event" that appears to have helped push me into this weird state of being was President Trump's surreal missile strikes on Syria in 2017. Again, hard to explain without getting too deeply personal, but I just haven't been the same in my awareness since that happened.

A personal symptom of the effects of hypernormalization, maybe , if you've seen that documentary. But maybe too it's not I that has been entirely sleepwalking under some spell... Can a whole society or world be placed in " theatre " conditions?

Perhaps in a way it has been a blessing, hard to say, but it's a bit unnerving to feel almost crazy and still go about my (current?) everyday existence.

Love and forgiveness is the only way I can survive, to break the spell if I can use that (metaphor, or not: what is magic anyway?).


@Tainari88 , @Rich
@Verv
@Potemkin, @Godstud :

With this follow up to the last post id like my fellow conversationalists to go back for context to posts about sacred spaces, the numinous nature of the pre modern and desacralized and profane nature of the modern, for some context on my recent eschatological thought on today's events. Or the following resources will also do, albeit from more modernist series of perspectives:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterotopia_(space)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Soja

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Lefebvre

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liminal ... (aesthetic)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-place

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauntology

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalist_Realism

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaze

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Meninas
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnolfini_Portrait

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_World

Our perception, and thus notions of Form and Representation, as opposed to the Divine Reality.

So with that background in mind, you have on one end of the spectrum an idea of the modernist " End of History" where there are no possibilities outside the contemporary secular consensus view of reality, and on the other the " really real" or " welcome to the desert of the real" of Lacan and Baudrillaud and others, the Real that imposes itself and eventually cannot be hidden behind Symbol and Simulacrum, Simulation or Metaphor.

Modernity has an abhorrence of what I call The Threshold. This is that bridge between the Matrix of Modernity and the Wild Space of the Real, or sometimes not a Threshold so much as an Event which serves as a " hole" punched into the artificial and sweeps it aside, breaks it into pieces. And It does so not only in Space but also in Time.

But in the process of observation of these Threshold Events, the Modern world sees them as something of horror, much as Lovecraft saw God in his Cuthulhu Mythos:

https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Outer_God



Or witness the reaction of someone like Shelley when writing his play " Cain", faced with his horror of determinism, predestination, and thus Monotheism:

https://victorianweb.org/previctorian/byron/cain.html

As God exists and He is free, His actions and our freedoms seem inscrutable and problematic from our worldview. Yet to understand that with God that anything is possible ( even 2+2=5!), there is a kind of liberation that comes with a loving trust in Him.

His actions in the world He has made seem to be like the aforementioned 2+2=5 , especially today, but I find a certain satisfaction in saying 2+2=5 and that I'm a man and not a piano key, and accepting even what seems inhuman at first glance.

Meta historical acts of God, working through people on a micro and macro scale of proportion, this is the flywheel of history and the seal of teleological purpose, the apocalyptic revealing and of providential meaning.

Of course, people change their behavior if they feel they are being watched or if not watched ( in an age of universal surveillance at that!), and modern man has a gnawing feeling of suddenly being forced to stop their suspension of disbelief, that someone or something will break the fourth wall in an ultimate way:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_wall

Modernity is Theatre, and Theatre is Modernity.

This state of affairs was born with the Crucifixion, which defies attempts to reduce that Event to Theater but which attempt still has been the Hallmark of Modernity since Medieval times if not right after the Crucifixion itself, with Docetism:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docetism

Arguments about the human reality of Christ, as opposed to the representation or simulacrum of reality, at the very beginning of the Western iteration of the Greco Roman Civilization!

But, I note that still to this day with many, the unease and horror of Modernity versus even the recent retelling of the Crucifixion Event was noted with interest at the time at least:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sd ... story.html



This Event gave birth to three responses and thus three cultures:

1. Orthodox Christian: explicit belief in the Event and thus everything else that flows from it

2. Islamic: explicit denial of the Event along with the Trinity and Incarnation, Resurrection, etc ..

3. Modern/Western/Faustian: hypocrisy manifest, gradually implicit denial leading to explicit denial.
#15312658
Verv wrote:https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/1781137192322040187

I meant to reply to the previously written stuff here but instead I submit this here specifically as well because I think @annatar1914 will have some stuff to say on it.


@Verv :

Sorry about the delay my friend.

This attack was inevitable as soon as the Iranian Islamic Revolution began in 1979, and these attacks will lead inexorably to regional war in the Middle East. Indeed, war of a sort has been going on for a long time now.

Iran is now the spiritual heart of the Islamic world, precisely because it is the center of Islamic resistance to Israel and the West, such resistance as it is.

Not that there should be any gloating by the Israelis: it's utter dependence on the West has been revealed.
#15312700
Verv wrote:Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Israel right now:



@Verv :

I would say that things don't look good at the moment for Israeli and Russian relations, but given the geopolitical situation it isn't too surprising that there is an apparent rift.

The spiritual aspect of the matter is clear to me: we're not dealing with an apocalyptic scenario at this point. On the way, closer than yesterday, but a while yet I think.
#15312894
annatar1914 wrote:@Tainari88 , @Rich
@Verv
@Potemkin, @Godstud :

With this follow up to the last post id like my fellow conversationalists to go back for context to posts about sacred spaces, the numinous nature of the pre modern and desacralized and profane nature of the modern, for some context on my recent eschatological thought on today's events. Or the following resources will also do, albeit from more modernist series of perspectives:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterotopia_(space)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Soja

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Lefebvre

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liminal ... (aesthetic)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-place

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauntology

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalist_Realism

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaze

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Meninas
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnolfini_Portrait

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_World

Our perception, and thus notions of Form and Representation, as opposed to the Divine Reality.

So with that background in mind, you have on one end of the spectrum an idea of the modernist " End of History" where there are no possibilities outside the contemporary secular consensus view of reality, and on the other the " really real" or " welcome to the desert of the real" of Lacan and Baudrillaud and others, the Real that imposes itself and eventually cannot be hidden behind Symbol and Simulacrum, Simulation or Metaphor.

Modernity has an abhorrence of what I call The Threshold. This is that bridge between the Matrix of Modernity and the Wild Space of the Real, or sometimes not a Threshold so much as an Event which serves as a " hole" punched into the artificial and sweeps it aside, breaks it into pieces. And It does so not only in Space but also in Time.

But in the process of observation of these Threshold Events, the Modern world sees them as something of horror, much as Lovecraft saw God in his Cuthulhu Mythos:

https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Outer_God



Or witness the reaction of someone like Shelley when writing his play " Cain", faced with his horror of determinism, predestination, and thus Monotheism:

https://victorianweb.org/previctorian/byron/cain.html

As God exists and He is free, His actions and our freedoms seem inscrutable and problematic from our worldview. Yet to understand that with God that anything is possible ( even 2+2=5!), there is a kind of liberation that comes with a loving trust in Him.

His actions in the world He has made seem to be like the aforementioned 2+2=5 , especially today, but I find a certain satisfaction in saying 2+2=5 and that I'm a man and not a piano key, and accepting even what seems inhuman at first glance.

Meta historical acts of God, working through people on a micro and macro scale of proportion, this is the flywheel of history and the seal of teleological purpose, the apocalyptic revealing and of providential meaning.

Of course, people change their behavior if they feel they are being watched or if not watched ( in an age of universal surveillance at that!), and modern man has a gnawing feeling of suddenly being forced to stop their suspension of disbelief, that someone or something will break the fourth wall in an ultimate way:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_wall

Modernity is Theatre, and Theatre is Modernity.

This state of affairs was born with the Crucifixion, which defies attempts to reduce that Event to Theater but which attempt still has been the Hallmark of Modernity since Medieval times if not right after the Crucifixion itself, with Docetism:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docetism

Arguments about the human reality of Christ, as opposed to the representation or simulacrum of reality, at the very beginning of the Western iteration of the Greco Roman Civilization!

But, I note that still to this day with many, the unease and horror of Modernity versus even the recent retelling of the Crucifixion Event was noted with interest at the time at least:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sd ... story.html



This Event gave birth to three responses and thus three cultures:

1. Orthodox Christian: explicit belief in the Event and thus everything else that flows from it

2. Islamic: explicit denial of the Event along with the Trinity and Incarnation, Resurrection, etc ..

3. Modern/Western/Faustian: hypocrisy manifest, gradually implicit denial leading to explicit denial.


@Verv , @Potemkin , @Godstud , @noemon :

The other side of the Event:



Love is Stronger than Death.
#15312913
annatar1914 wrote:@Verv , @Potemkin , @Godstud , @noemon :

The other side of the Event:



Love is Stronger than Death.


If you love deeply your loved ones and you love always? It sure does conquer death.

That is the big truth.

I hope you find love always Annatar.
#15313205
I was reading St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain this morning, specifically the second chapter of Unseen Warfare in which he talks extensively about self-esteem, self-love as gateways to pride that are the ultimate sin and how grace only comes to those who are humble...

Let me qualify one thing, first: self-esteem is not used in the sense of I am good enough to succeed at my job, or I am good enough to be a parent, etc. These are normal, practical things that of course you are! is the only answer, and it actually reveals that our postmodern society has lacked the basic security that premodern peoples could have in themselves...

Which is ironic: we are a people confident enough to cast off God but everywhere you look there's people doubting whether or not they are good enough to be a parent or a cubicle worker. My brothers & sisters, of course you are good enough to be either of these things - there are exceptions, like, YES, I would have massive confidence issues if I suddenly got a job I wasn't qualified for through lying (lol), or I would also NOT be a good parent if I was currently battling a fentanyl addiction... But you need to be like your ancestors:

- Of course I can do a task.
- Of course I can be a parent.

Self-esteem, rather, in the sense that one has some special characteristic or trait that puts oneself above others, is what's being talked about...

Of course, it's an absolute fact that Michael Jordan has a very special talent in basketball, and Magnus Carlsen in chess. But the actual conclusion is that Michael Jordan and Magnus Carlsen's innate characteristics that made them superstars and even the drive that they had to become that comes from God, or theoretically, it could have been magnified by sins (a crass desire for fame or money causing them to put in all those hours)... But, certainly, at the level they are at, they have undeniable natural gifts, and ... they are in the physical person of Michael Jordan and Magnus Carlsen, but they are not their souls. The nous of both of these men is something that exists far away from their physical reality because if both of these men were in radically different circumstances and suffered physical or mental ailments preventing their success, they would still have their same soul...

So what makes them outstanding is not "their soul," but their "gift" which is distinct...

So the star athletes who remain humble and deny their specialness or elite status are not being corny... They're being theologically correct.

Dare I say, a crazy burden would come from having made tens of millions (or even billions which I think is the case of Michael Jordan) from their skill, and to have such fame and legendary status. Now the small things they do matters to everyone... Imagine, for a second, a man who became rich & famous and his life spiraled out of control, resulting in drug and sex addictions, public shame and embarrassment, negatively impacting millions who look up to him and follow his lead... Maybe he will have a change of heart and this was the very lesson he needed to save himself from hell and that is why God gave it to him, or maybe he is condemned to hell forever...

And then imagine a poor man who had very few opportunities to advance himself and led a simple life with simple pleasures, never traveling more than a 50 miles from his home, but his poverty prevented him from ever being able to even afford an addiction, and the boring conditions of his village facilitated his spiritual life... And he dies, too poor to be buried in the Cathedral cemetery, and instead interred in a small family cemetery on the farm, nothing remaining of him to future generations but his birth date (which is actually listed incorrectly), his baptismal date, and his death date (also listed a day off - nobody was sure if he died before or after midnight and they guessed wrong)... Yet, he enters the Kingdom of God...

So, I guess, the curse of many people now - even people in poor countries - is their ability to become drug or booze addicts at a very small price and, if they can afford a smartphone like most people even in the third world, they can become pxrn addicts. Not to mention, they curate a super unique identity and personality that really is just Consumerism + Self-Vanity - it's literally the demonic forces of greed and pride preying on them....

Yetttttt, they do not have self-confidence enough to be a parent and they need to take self-improvement classes and books to have the confidence to face the world at all.

Pride is so useless it probably inversely correlates with the ability to do tasks adequately and be a parent. So corrupting.

So with that background in mind, you have on one end of the spectrum an idea of the modernist " End of History" where there are no possibilities outside the contemporary secular consensus view of reality, and on the other the " really real" or " welcome to the desert of the real" of Lacan and Baudrillaud and others, the Real that imposes itself and eventually cannot be hidden behind Symbol and Simulacrum, Simulation or Metaphor.


This is a super difficult point because it is understandable how secularism became a mean of diverse Christian groups living in peace, undisturbed from each other, but it ends up cultivating a world view actively hostile towards religion...

Antidisestablishmentarianism is a the last pill to swallow, and it's the hardest.

This is why the principle of oikonomie is so difficult - the human condition is frail and requires sympathy and adjustment of the standards, but when we adjust them wrongly, we end up in places far darker than we ever intended to.
#15313213
Verv wrote:I was reading St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain this morning, specifically the second chapter of Unseen Warfare in which he talks extensively about self-esteem, self-love as gateways to pride that are the ultimate sin and how grace only comes to those who are humble...

Let me qualify one thing, first: self-esteem is not used in the sense of I am good enough to succeed at my job, or I am good enough to be a parent, etc. These are normal, practical things that of course you are! is the only answer, and it actually reveals that our postmodern society has lacked the basic security that premodern peoples could have in themselves...

Which is ironic: we are a people confident enough to cast off God but everywhere you look there's people doubting whether or not they are good enough to be a parent or a cubicle worker. My brothers & sisters, of course you are good enough to be either of these things - there are exceptions, like, YES, I would have massive confidence issues if I suddenly got a job I wasn't qualified for through lying (lol), or I would also NOT be a good parent if I was currently battling a fentanyl addiction... But you need to be like your ancestors:

- Of course I can do a task.
- Of course I can be a parent.

Self-esteem, rather, in the sense that one has some special characteristic or trait that puts oneself above others, is what's being talked about...

Of course, it's an absolute fact that Michael Jordan has a very special talent in basketball, and Magnus Carlsen in chess. But the actual conclusion is that Michael Jordan and Magnus Carlsen's innate characteristics that made them superstars and even the drive that they had to become that comes from God, or theoretically, it could have been magnified by sins (a crass desire for fame or money causing them to put in all those hours)... But, certainly, at the level they are at, they have undeniable natural gifts, and ... they are in the physical person of Michael Jordan and Magnus Carlsen, but they are not their souls. The nous of both of these men is something that exists far away from their physical reality because if both of these men were in radically different circumstances and suffered physical or mental ailments preventing their success, they would still have their same soul...

So what makes them outstanding is not "their soul," but their "gift" which is distinct...

So the star athletes who remain humble and deny their specialness or elite status are not being corny... They're being theologically correct.

Dare I say, a crazy burden would come from having made tens of millions (or even billions which I think is the case of Michael Jordan) from their skill, and to have such fame and legendary status. Now the small things they do matters to everyone... Imagine, for a second, a man who became rich & famous and his life spiraled out of control, resulting in drug and sex addictions, public shame and embarrassment, negatively impacting millions who look up to him and follow his lead... Maybe he will have a change of heart and this was the very lesson he needed to save himself from hell and that is why God gave it to him, or maybe he is condemned to hell forever...

And then imagine a poor man who had very few opportunities to advance himself and led a simple life with simple pleasures, never traveling more than a 50 miles from his home, but his poverty prevented him from ever being able to even afford an addiction, and the boring conditions of his village facilitated his spiritual life... And he dies, too poor to be buried in the Cathedral cemetery, and instead interred in a small family cemetery on the farm, nothing remaining of him to future generations but his birth date (which is actually listed incorrectly), his baptismal date, and his death date (also listed a day off - nobody was sure if he died before or after midnight and they guessed wrong)... Yet, he enters the Kingdom of God...

So, I guess, the curse of many people now - even people in poor countries - is their ability to become drug or booze addicts at a very small price and, if they can afford a smartphone like most people even in the third world, they can become pxrn addicts. Not to mention, they curate a super unique identity and personality that really is just Consumerism + Self-Vanity - it's literally the demonic forces of greed and pride preying on them....

Yetttttt, they do not have self-confidence enough to be a parent and they need to take self-improvement classes and books to have the confidence to face the world at all.

Pride is so useless it probably inversely correlates with the ability to do tasks adequately and be a parent. So corrupting.



This is a super difficult point because it is understandable how secularism became a mean of diverse Christian groups living in peace, undisturbed from each other, but it ends up cultivating a world view actively hostile towards religion...

Antidisestablishmentarianism is a the last pill to swallow, and it's the hardest.

This is why the principle of oikonomie is so difficult - the human condition is frail and requires sympathy and adjustment of the standards, but when we adjust them wrongly, we end up in places far darker than we ever intended to.


@Verv

Dostoevsky was prophetic enough on this and other points, that through the figure of " Ivan Karamazov" he suggested having no " rule" except the voluntary rule of the Canons and Dogmatic decrees of the Orthodox Church.

Charismatic rule is the only option for the Sovereignty, the Autocracy, anyway.

We cannot forcibly prevent man at this point from doing or not doing anything he so desires to do or not do. He can only be convinced, and only then if of good will.

However I would also add that a return to Apostolic simplicity and communal Sobornost among the Faithful is no small thing even on a practical level, it takes the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And with God anything is possible!
#15315713
@Verv , @Tainari88 , @Potemkin , @Godstud :


Been reading additions to my book list:

Nicholas Gomez Davila, the " Neitszche of the Andes":

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicol%C ... %C3%A1vila

Very aphoristic reactionary writer:

https://www.youtube.com/live/NdRY0fT3HU ... bTyoMmREsb

And Georges Bataille, a rather scatological and psychologically sick but insightful Frenchman, (influenced by a favorite of mine Lev Shestov):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Bataille:



Had some interesting ideas on the economy that remind one of a corrollary to Thorsten Veblen and his ' conspicuous consumption ':



The " Accursed Share".

" The Black Sun"... Of that I will not speak.

How far is this from Jesus Christ! And they think that their peril is from the Left, the fools!
#15315733
@annatar1914 That video of the Black Sun is about an evil philosophy. It is horrible.

The sun is the source of every blade of grass and every plant and fruit and nut and vegetable and grain and animal that depends on those plants' photosynthesis to survive and thrive. It is not a source of luxury or excess. It is life itself.

There is enough abundant food for everyone if there is a will to not waste, preserve, work and share all of Mother Nature's great bounty and the living things we love and want to share this world with.

What is a good mother? I have thought about it. I remember when my baby was a newborn. There were a bunch of boxes all over the living room because we were restructuring the way the house was organized to make it safe for an infant. And I was feeding my baby and I tripped on a box and lost my balance. I was going to go down on top of my baby. I knew it would hurt him or do some harm so in midair I flipped around and made sure I was the one who hit the floor and the baby would only stay bound and protected in his blanket on top of my breast. All the impact was my back. I did that very very fast. My husband and son said, 'Did you see her? It looked like an NFL move by a football guy or something. That was spectacular.' Lol. It is INSTINCT. Protect that which you love.

If you are a mother that should be your behavior in all things like your child or baby. I think about what the Roman Catholic church talks about with the image of Mary. How did she feel seeing her baby up there going through all that torture and pain? It is probably much worse for her than for Jesus. Much worse. I could bear anything in this world. Just do not hurt my child. To have to bear that pain of losing your child and in that way of horrible pain and torture--no wonder that so many of the Roman Catholics believe in Mary's power. She was the one who could find spirituality in the worst emotional torture a woman could experience.

The Love of the Mother and a Mother's Love are the center of all Divine Love in many religions. But especially in the Orthodox Russian. Orthodox Greek, Roman Catholic, and many others. She is the approachable side of God's human-based image of Love.

You should not waste anything at all. It is disrespectful. You have to try to always be the least wasteful possible.

If you are good at saving things and being careful with resources, and being respectful of how the Earth produces food and water? You have PLENTY of everything for every living thing. It is truly a lovely sight to see a mother taking care of her baby or child. If you see the world like that? Through that love that is unconditional and divine then there is no room for darkness, stinginess or deprivation, and lack of spiritual generosity. It is all good.

I spoke with a Brazilian nun who stated that Satan for the Catholics is defeated by the Virgin Mary. She is the one who steps on the head of the serpent and kills it. Every time. Why? Because she is the one who has the answer to a lack of love. And bears witness to what it takes in sacrifice to slay the evil that lurks in every heart.
#15316120
Tainari88 wrote:@annatar1914 That video of the Black Sun is about an evil philosophy. It is horrible.

The sun is the source of every blade of grass and every plant and fruit and nut and vegetable and grain and animal that depends on those plants' photosynthesis to survive and thrive. It is not a source of luxury or excess. It is life itself.

There is enough abundant food for everyone if there is a will to not waste, preserve, work and share all of Mother Nature's great bounty and the living things we love and want to share this world with.

What is a good mother? I have thought about it. I remember when my baby was a newborn. There were a bunch of boxes all over the living room because we were restructuring the way the house was organized to make it safe for an infant. And I was feeding my baby and I tripped on a box and lost my balance. I was going to go down on top of my baby. I knew it would hurt him or do some harm so in midair I flipped around and made sure I was the one who hit the floor and the baby would only stay bound and protected in his blanket on top of my breast. All the impact was my back. I did that very very fast. My husband and son said, 'Did you see her? It looked like an NFL move by a football guy or something. That was spectacular.' Lol. It is INSTINCT. Protect that which you love.

If you are a mother that should be your behavior in all things like your child or baby. I think about what the Roman Catholic church talks about with the image of Mary. How did she feel seeing her baby up there going through all that torture and pain? It is probably much worse for her than for Jesus. Much worse. I could bear anything in this world. Just do not hurt my child. To have to bear that pain of losing your child and in that way of horrible pain and torture--no wonder that so many of the Roman Catholics believe in Mary's power. She was the one who could find spirituality in the worst emotional torture a woman could experience.

The Love of the Mother and a Mother's Love are the center of all Divine Love in many religions. But especially in the Orthodox Russian. Orthodox Greek, Roman Catholic, and many others. She is the approachable side of God's human-based image of Love.

You should not waste anything at all. It is disrespectful. You have to try to always be the least wasteful possible.

If you are good at saving things and being careful with resources, and being respectful of how the Earth produces food and water? You have PLENTY of everything for every living thing. It is truly a lovely sight to see a mother taking care of her baby or child. If you see the world like that? Through that love that is unconditional and divine then there is no room for darkness, stinginess or deprivation, and lack of spiritual generosity. It is all good.

I spoke with a Brazilian nun who stated that Satan for the Catholics is defeated by the Virgin Mary. She is the one who steps on the head of the serpent and kills it. Every time. Why? Because she is the one who has the answer to a lack of love. And bears witness to what it takes in sacrifice to slay the evil that lurks in every heart.


@Tainari88 and @Verv , @Potemkin , and @Godstud :

The Blessed Virgin Mary the Mother of God is indeed the one who by her Son crushed the head of the Serpent.

Satan of course had a presentiment of this and given his hatred and fear of women as a consequence, mocked the Woman and Her Son with some of the myths of the ancients....

https://doczenith.artstation.com/projects/8ezgJm

Here we have illustration of the myth of Perseus and Medusa. Medusa the most beautiful woman in the world caught the eyes of the god Poseidon and he raped the fleeing Medusa in the temple of Athena, the Virgin goddess of Wisdom. Athena was angered not at Poseidon but at Medusa for the " profanation" of her temple and turned her into a Gorgon with Serpents for hair .... Everyone who looked upon her would not live, but be turned to stone. Serpents and Death come from the Woman, are the Woman's fault, and the Virgin has no Wisdom.

Perseus killed Medusa and cut of her head.

Well, the message too being that men especially gods can do whatever they want and can do, and women and the weaker have no important say in the matter.

God says differently:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lad ... %D0%B0.jpg
  • 1
  • 88
  • 89
  • 90
  • 91
  • 92

Well you are showing a lot of ignorance here, sin[…]

World War II Day by Day

June 17, Monday Churchill proclaims the “finest […]

It was a mistake for the usa to enter both of the[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Putin's problem is that any serious peace proposa[…]